Northbound Cruise which side?

suemoon

We are cruising July 10th 2009 on Celebrity Millennium and need to know which side to book cabin with a view of the land side. My thinking is starboard side, with portside facing the water cruising out of Vancouver. Thanks for help, sue.

You cruise on the inside passage, so there is land on both sides through the majority of the cruise. There will be two spots where the port side faces open ocean and that is soon after leaving Vancouver and the after you leave the glacier to head to your final deparkation point, I assume Seward.

That said, I prefer the Port side. Because the Sunset's to the port and it's truly awesome to be on the balcony enjoying a drink and watching the sunset. I am not an early riser, so sunrise isn't for me.

Really, no bad side.

Take a look at a map, it really doesn't matter what side, there will be scenic viewing from both sides during the trip. What people don't realize, is the routes can vary significantly depending on the time, cpt, sea conditions. You can spend time out to sea, which many ships do now. For your Hubbard Glacier viewing, the BEST view is forward, so you might want to get out of your balcony for a look.

I liked the port side... we saw about 10x as many whales leaving Ketchikan on the portside than the Starboardd. Not to say that is going to hold up on any other trip, but it did with us.

Do you really think this is predictable??? And whales only "pass on the left"???

Get a rear facing with a wrap-around deck and you can see all sides.

I agree with Cojomay..:) Not only do you get an awesome view you are protected from the wind..

That being said....Port side is better for glacier viewing..Most of the comentary is done from the port side..

Kelly

I

That being said....Port side is better for glacier viewing..Most of the comentary is done from the port side..

Kelly

No this isn't the case with them going to Hubbard Glacier, best views are definately forward. Port side is the preference for Glacier Bay.

Do you really think this is predictable??? And whales only "pass on the left"???

I said it wasn't going hold up on any other trip! :o

But the naturalist did say they were more likely to be closer to land on the port side at least going up to Juneau, no idea why or the reasoning behind that. But she was right. Perhaps just being a little closer to land. For anyone who knows the area I am talking about it was about 4 hours after we left Ketchikan.

No this isn't the case with them going to Hubbard Glacier, best views are definately forward. Port side is the preference for Glacier Bay.

:) According to you..I myself prefer aft views..For me its much more comfortable not having to deal with wind and cold..

Kelly

There are advantages to both sides. You will get sunsets on the port side and sunrises on the starboard side (if up early enough:D). The bit of open water you see on the port side leaving Vancouver is just a few minutes and you are looking into the Strait of Juan de Fucia, you will also have a few hours of open water as you sail thru Queen Charlotte Sound and Dixon Entrance on the port side. I tend to like the starboard side as I think the scenery is a tad better but not so much I would get all in a lather because I was on the port side.

We booked late and took what was left -- port side, which I initially thought would be less desirable than starboard. But I think it turned out to be the best, and I agree with other posters and their comments about port side.

We were on the Zaandam, and the captain "turned" the boat at Glacier Bay to give everyone a view, but you will want to be on the forward deck most likely -- be sure to bundle up.

Vickie, it's your money you're spending. If you want to change back to port, do it and don't worry about what anyone thinks!

Vickie, it's your money you're spending. If you want to change back to port, do it and don't worry about what anyone thinks!

Will call my agent tomorrow to switch cabin and deck location. We're in a mini on the Dolphin deck on the Island Princess and we have an exposed balcony. See if they have any minis still available on Caribbe deck with partially covered balcony.

Archived