US$-v-UK£

Onelung

I'm a relative newcomer to this site and have been very intrigued by all the posts about "reductions/discounts" for residents of certain states and/or military personnel or seniors.

Is this something that only happens in the US?

I'm particularly intrigued to see that several posts about upgrades say things like "... if its only $200 or so go for it". If I want to purchase an upgrade its more like £2000!

Seems to me the US residents are getting a better price deal than those in the UK. Any thoughts?

Frankie

No it is also in Canada but you have to be vigilant about price changes & everything else as usually a TA will not change it for you unless you ask.:)

It also depends when you book, we always book very early & sometimes the price goes down after we have made our deposit our TA will change it but we usually have to ask.

I'm a relative newcomer to this site and have been very intrigued by all the posts about "reductions/discounts" for residents of certain states and/or military personnel or seniors.

Is this something that only happens in the US?

I'm particularly intrigued to see that several posts about upgrades say things like "... if its only $200 or so go for it". If I want to purchase an upgrade its more like £2000!

Seems to me the US residents are getting a better price deal than those in the UK. Any thoughts?

Frankie

Welcome to the world of differences by country, Frankie!

We have learned a lot about the many differences by regularly reading these boards ...lots of info here.

I could go on at length but watch daily for a drop in your cruise price.. whether you are with air or on your own air might be significant as to whether you qualify for a price drop or not..and if you are booked with a travel agent or direct....again X do not tell you about the price drops you have to find them for yourself and ask X to apply it if you qualify ....either direct or through your TA (who might be unwilling to try asking for you as their commission goes down accordingly).

We do not have residency discounts here and therefore you aren't going to benefit from any.

Upgrades are usually given by X if they have to change you for some reason..if you want to upgrade it will cost you the going rate...even waitlisting for a specific cabin has cost us in the past....some of those who book from the states "hold" cabins on deposit then don't want them when full payment date comes along, get a full refund of their deposits when turning them in for others to book .. ..but be warned if you cancel in the UK you'll lose your deposit for a start ... could be more depending on how many days till sail date.

We get senior rate for 55+..these seem to be available to us when they come on.

Ask me another!

Archived