Hurricanes and Cruising?

KyleesMom

I am wanting to do a sept. cruise through the carribbeans..but its hurricane season. Should I worry?

Thanks

Tif

I book late September/early October every year and this one is no exception!

If a storm is in the path of your ship they'll adjust to keep you safe...

Go, have fun and remember... it's not the destination... it's the voyage...

;)

As long as you understand the risks and willing to except them...no problems.

We have a cruise leaving on Monday from Galveston...if it gets cancelled or changed...no big deal. We knew the risks when we booked it.

I am wanting to do a sept. cruise through the carribbeans..but its hurricane season. Should I worry?

Thanks

Tif

The safest way to not have to worry about cruising and hurricanes is to not cruise during hurricanes which is June 1 thru late November. That's what I do.

If you have your heart set on a particular port of call, then it's taking a chance because to might have to skip that stop. But if you just want to go on a cruise and wouldn't be too upset if the itinerary changed, I say go right ahead and don't worry about it.

The ships avoid the storms for the most part. It's possible you might have one stormy day as they work their way past a hurricane/tropical storm, but that's about the worst of it. The ships handle any rough weather really well with their stabilizers. It's possible if your home port gets hit by a storm, the cruise line may have to bus you to or from another port, but they are very organized doing this and it goes smoothly.

I have been on two cruises during hurricane season and both had hurricanes happening while I was on board. All they did was change the itinerary around. One time we went to the same islands only in reverse order, the other time they changed two of the islands we were supposed to go to. These ships are VERY technologically advanced. They know where and when a hurricane is going to hit in advance and work with that to ensure that all the passangers have a great time. If specific islands are important to you, you may not want to sail during hurricane season. To me, as long as I was not at work, you could put me on any island and I wouldn't care!

IMO, the only reason NOT to cruise during this time is if you live near the coast and would be too worried about things at home to enjoy yourself.

We live 3 hours from the Gulf coast, and we usually get rain and possibly tornadoes when the storm comes ashore - but that's not enough for us not to cruise. However, if I lived directly on the coast and would be worried about home, kids, pets, I might reconsider.

We sailed in October last year on the E.Caribbean.....no problems!!

We're sailing in 17 days, on a B2B on 2 different ships. My only concern is if the 1st ship delays its return to Miami, and we miss the 2nd cruise.

Otherwise..... not giving it a thought .... just looking forward to it!!!

Archived