What time does it get dark in the southern carribean?

Try this website. You should be able to find an entry that is close to the location where you wish to know the times of sunrise/sunset.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunrise.html

Thanks for posting this site, I hadn't seen it before... I have used http://www.sunrisesunset.com/ in the past for similar searches.

One thing that is important to remember, the farther south in the Caribbean you go, the closer you get to the equator. The closer you get to the equator, the less overall difference in length of day throughout the year. So, in Barbados, for example, the longest day of the year is just under 13 hours, and the shortest day of the year is just over 11 hours 20 minutes.

So what that means is you can pretty much count on the sun coming up around 6 and going down around 6, give or take a half hour or so summer or winter.

I went to Barbados for vacation one summer, and it was actually a little bit of a disappointment, as I was used to Virginia summer daytime lasting until 8:30 PM! Suddenly I'm in a vacation paradise, and I've lost three hours of daylight!

Theron

Theron, you are more than welcome. I have enjoyed your website and postings over the last few years. I am surprised that more folks had not already found that site.

I also agree with you about the facts cincerning sunset when you get clsoer to the equator.

Mark

Not only do the day/night hours equalize as you get closer to the equator, but when it starts to get dark, it gets dark fast. No long twilights like you have in the high latitudes.

I missed those long days and twilights too!!

I didn't remember that, but it makes perfect sense... the sun is going down at a 90 degree angle (more or less) to the horizon, not at a shallow angle like during the long days of summer! :)

Theron

Theron, you are more than welcome. I have enjoyed your website and postings over the last few years. I am surprised that more folks had not already found that site.

I also agree with you about the facts cincerning sunset when you get clsoer to the equator.

Mark

:o Thanks for your kind comments! :)

Theron

Going on the serenade in December. We live in Texas and it gets dark around 6pm in the winter, but we are in a different time zone and have daylight savings time. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for starting this thread, great information and links! I am jealous though, starting around the end of October darkness falls here in Washington state around 4:30pm.

Mark

Thanks for the heads up about Theron's very helpful web offerings. I never would have seen them if not for your post because I have signatures disabled.

Try this website. You should be able to find an entry that is close to the location where you wish to know the times of sunrise/sunset.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunrise.html

Sun wil set about 5:37 give or take a minute for our cruise! We leave each port at 5:30, so have to be back before dark! Great website. Thanks for the lead.

Thanks for the heads up about Theron's very helpful web offerings. I never would have seen them if not for your post because I have signatures disabled.

Sometimes I wonder how many people disable signatures... Maybe once in a while I should post my signature as part of my actual message... :) Might irritate some folks though... :eek:

Theron

Click here to tell me stuff

-----------------------------------------------------

Vision of the Seas 12/9/07 Mexican Riviera | Grandeur of the Seas 8/19/07 Bermuda | Empress of the Seas 5/26/07 Bermuda | Grandeur of the Seas 10/27/06 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 10/28/05 Western | Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western | Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili) | [51 days at sea... and counting!]

-----------------------------------------------------

[Cruise Tip Calculator - calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes]

[Version 2.1: Cruise Maps - a growing collection of cruise related maps from all over]

[Cruise Tools - Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative - Who really needs a passport... and when?]

[Theron's Albums - Photo albums of previous cruises and other places]

empress_thumb02.jpggrand_thumb_4.JPG

Sun wil set about 5:37 give or take a minute for our cruise! We leave each port at 5:30, so have to be back before dark! Great website. Thanks for the lead.

Note that it is not dark at sunset. It takes some time after sunset for it to get "dark" just as it is always light before the sun rises. http://www.sunrisesunset.com will give you twilight times.

If you have to be on-board at 5:00, you will have plenty of light.

Note that it is not dark at sunset. It takes some time after sunset for it to get "dark" just as it is always light before the sun rises. http://www.sunrisesunset.com will give you twilight times.

If you have to be on-board at 5:00, you will have plenty of light.

:D

And not to beat this poor old horse... but I always got a kick out of the fact that they even give you up to three different twilight times! Who knew!? From their web page here, the definitions, and even what you can see at each time are:

Civil Twilight

Civil twilight is defined when the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon. This is the limit at which twilight illumination is sufficient, under good weather conditions, for terrestrial objects to be clearly distinguished; at the beginning of morning civil twilight, or end of evening civil twilight, the horizon is clearly defined and the brightest stars are visible under good atmospheric conditions in the absence of moonlight or other illumination. In the morning before the beginning of civil twilight and in the evening after the end of civil twilight, artificial illumination is normally required to carry on ordinary outdoor activities.

Nautical Twilight

Nautical twilight is defined when the sun is 12 degrees below the horizon. At the beginning or end of nautical twilight, under good atmospheric conditions and in the absence of other illumination, general outlines of ground objects may be distinguishable, but detailed outdoor operations are not possible, and the horizon is indistinct.

Astronomical Twilight

Astronomical twilight is defined when the sun is 18 degrees below the horizon. Before the beginning of astronomical twilight in the morning and after the end of astronomical twilight in the evening the sun does not contribute to sky illumination; for a considerable interval after the beginning of morning twilight and before the end of evening twilight, sky illumination is so faint that it is practically imperceptible.

Sometimes I wonder how many people disable signatures... Maybe once in a while I should post my signature as part of my actual message... :) Might irritate some folks though... :eek:

Theron

Your signature has useful information in it, unlike most others.

I really wish that the board software would only post people's signatures for their first post in a thread, not every time they post to the same thread.

IMO, some signatures are just too long and graphic intensive, which is why I disabled them. I do miss out on the occasional gem like yours.

Your signature has useful information in it, unlike most others.

I really wish that the board software would only post people's signatures for their first post in a thread, not every time they post to the same thread.

IMO, some signatures are just too long and graphic intensive, which is why I disabled them. I do miss out on the occasional gem like yours.

I've seen some bb software that does that, and I think it's an excellent compromise, at least for space considerations. I believe that for large files embedded (just FYI, I actually scaled the pics in my sig to be actual size, but not everyone does that...) once the file is loaded by the browser, no additional time is lost for multiple copies on the same page.

It would be nice if this option were available and enabled here. I'm not up to date on the options for this board's software though.

Theron

Archived