Lets Try this again......Castle & Fort

Brenda33

Ugghhhh....Just typed a whole post and it didn't post. LOL Oh well.

Anyhow, my family and I will be in San Juan in November from the morning til around 2:00 p.m. on the RCCL Explorer of the Seas. I have heard that it is smarter to do just tour on your own rather than use the ships excursions. My questions are many. What exactly is the San Cristobel Fortress and Castle of SanFelpe del Morro? Do you walk or take a taxi (especially because its hot and I will have a 6 year old with me)? How long does each place need to visit? Is one better than the other? Will my 6 year old enjoy something like this? Basically, any and all info you have on these destinations would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time to this port and I have no clue!!!! Please help. Thanks!!!:)

Ugghhhh....Just typed a whole post and it didn't post. LOL Oh well.

Anyhow, my family and I will be in San Juan in November from the morning til around 2:00 p.m. on the RCCL Explorer of the Seas. I have heard that it is smarter to do just tour on your own rather than use the ships excursions. My questions are many. What exactly is the San Cristobel Fortress and Castle of SanFelpe del Morro? Do you walk or take a taxi (especially because its hot and I will have a 6 year old with me)? How long does each place need to visit? Is one better than the other? Will my 6 year old enjoy something like this? Basically, any and all info you have on these destinations would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time to this port and I have no clue!!!! Please help. Thanks!!!:)

The following site has a great deal of information about both forts. http://www.nps.gov/saju/planyourvisit/index.htm

El Morro was great. But, it is large with a lot of walking. I'm not sure if I would try it with a 6 year old. Going to the fort is uphill all the way. Taxi is definately the better choice.

Here's a pic taken (not by me) from the sea that may give you some perspective of the size of the place.

DSC_6785.jpg

Charlie

Check for the FREE trolley service that will take you to the forts. Be prepared to walk as they are huge. El Morro is multiple levels so stretch first. ;) Your 6 yr old may not fully appreciate the history (my 7 year old did not) so don't get caught up in it yourself too much or you may be dissappointed (I was). They are both pretty cool and you can purchase a 2 fort pass.

From the forts you can get some amazing views of San Juan (from Fort Cristobol) and the ocean (both). If you leave around 2 and are not early risers...check the times the forts open. You may only have time to cover 1 fort. Cristobol is larger (not all open to the public tour), El Morro is more photogenic (espeicially from the sea). Of the 2, I'd reccomend El Morro. It is on the point and you can see more views.

Take the time to walk back from the forts to the ship as the experience is cool - old buildings, narrow streets, cobblestone. But personally, I'd skip any shopping. No one was really impressed with the junk we got. :(

Robert

FWIW, we bought a cannon shaped pencil sharpener at the fort gift shop. When we got back home we happened to visit the Alamo @ San Antonio. The same pencil sharpener was there...cheaper. And it turned out ours was broken. :(

Hi

For the forts - take a look this Old San Juan Map to orrientate yourself

San Cristobel Fort is the closest to the piers and is an uphill walk (maybe 15 mins, slight;y longer)

El Morro is further away so is a longer walk

Both can also be reached by the free trolley that you can catch near the piers (note: some times they run late due to traffic congestion etc) so if you are in a hurry then a taxi (should be about $7) is another option, just ask the driver for the exact price before getting in (fares are fixed based on Zones).

San Cristobel is the bigger of the two, but El Morro is my favorite + at El Morro there is a large field in front where on weekends families fly kites etc. so it's a good place to allow children to play (you can pick up a cheap kite at the street vendors) usually

From El Morro it's a downhill walk through the streets of Old San Juan

This two articles will give you some ideas also

http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2008/07/self-guided-walking-tour-of-old-san-juan-part-1/

http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2008/07/self-guided-walking-tour-of-old-san-juan-part-2/

With regards to how much time in the forts - you could see it in 30mins or spend hours

Hope that gives you some ideas

Our family did the ships excursion that included the Fort, the Rum Factory and they did a tour around town that included the option to stop, get out at some stores and shop.

I would NOT walk. While you can see the ship in the harbor, it's longer than it appears and it's up hills and down hills.

The ship's excursion gave us plenty of time.

Thank you so much everyone. I will have you all know that this is not my idea of fun. However, DH complains that all I want to do is sit on the beach. Well DUH!!!! That is FUN!!! In any case I have agreed to change it up a bit for him. I hope I don't regret it. I guess after reading this quickly....have to check out the links further, that I will take the free shuttle or a taxi directly to El Morro and explore that area and then walk back through the streets. Hopefully I will not melt. UGGGHHHHH. I might as well ask, is there anything else anyone can suggest for a 6 year old boy that he may find fun?

Near the cathedral and the El Convento hotel there is a childrens museum - has all kinds of stuff with interactive displays http://www.museodelninopr.org/ the site is in Spanish but you should get the idea

You could do a horse drawn carriage ride

There's a Ben and Jerry's ice cream parlor

Usually on the third Sunday of the month there is a childrens theater set up on the Paseo la Princesa promenade - clowns, puppets music etc...

Coqui @ http://www.visit-the-coqui.com

You have the right plan- get a taxi or trolley up to the top (El Morro),then make your way back down.

The forts are neat, kids usually enjoy them. But it is HOT.

On the field outside the fort, there is usually a breeze. When you are done with the fort (one will be enough for a 6 year old), cross the street and go to the left. There is a fountain there- let him play in it and cool down.

Then continue on your walk down hill toward to ship. Coqui mentioned the children's museum, there is also Pigeon Park where he can feed the pigeons.

Keep him cool and feed him lots of icey treats and he should be fine!

See my article for specifics for kids:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/kids-in-old-san-juan/

One other thing you might want to do on the walk back is to have some shaved ice. There are vendors all over the place that offer it. They have a big block of ice, that they shave (by hand) and flavor with syrup. As a kid growing up, it is one of those typical tropical things that you remember. Make sure to do a flavor that is not something you would have at home (like cherry! My wife had cherry on our last trip. I had guava - which is great! DW ate half of mine! Good thing they are cheap!). Your 6 year old might enjoy that (and even remember it), and it is refreshing.

Keep Smiling!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived