Just back from Independence 4 nights to Cork

kernow

We had a fantastic time. It was out first time on Freedom class and we were a bit worried it would be too crowded but we didn't notice any difference from Voyager class. The only time we had to queue was for ice tickets(moved quickly) and breakfast on the last morning.

We ate mostly in the dining room and thought the food was very good, better than on the last couple of RCCL cruises we have done.

In general all the staff we came in to contact with were great, the only exception was our cabin steward who was by far the worst one we've ever had. He never introduced himself on the first day and my husband had to track him down to tell him there were 3 of us and we needed a third bed made up and extra towels. Despite this on subequent days he never made up the bed, left enough towels or left our son a teen compass. We had to call after dinner every night and get someone to let down the bed(he had always gone off duty). It certainly didn't ruin our cruise but it got to be a bit annoying.

We went to both production shows and the ice show and enjoyed all of them. I'm not someone who takes much notice of the CD usually but I did like Graham Seymour, he seemed much less artificial than most.

We did the same trip on Navigator last year and felt that RCCL had changed things a bit too much to cater for British tastes. We're glad we gave them another chance sailing from Southampton as this year they seemed to have got it just right.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Julie

Thank you for sharing your review of the Independence. We sail on her in just 12 weeks and can't wait. I think that is terrible about your cabin steward! After the first time you had to call them, you would think housekeeping would have made sure you had a steward who attended to your needs.

I am glad you enjoyed your cruise. Did you feel the production shows were better, worse, or the same as the ones on the Navigator? We had a great time in April on the Navigator but felt the production shows lacked something (maybe just our ages, they did seem geared toward younger crowd). Still, couldn't wait to book another cruise with RCCL.

floridapalms, we thought the production shows were better, the singers and dancers were excellent. The ice show was good but not quite as good as on Navigator, thought this could just have been the choreography. The theatre was full and seemed to appeal to all ages.

Norbertsniece, the only thing we "forgot" was a travel adapter! Because we sailed from the UK, it didn't feel like we were travelling abroad and we would need one, still it only cost around $6 and we now have a spare we keep in our suitcase!

Julie

Hello Kernow

We will to on the Freedom out of Miami in Nov. So we went to Southampton

last Wed to see Indepenence Leave, what a ship.

Thanks for your info regards room steward, What cabin did you have?

Did you do the flowrider? Did you travel with Kids?

Ps you might notice we are from Bodmin just up the road from you.

Happy Travels.

Roger

I' ll try to answer some of the questions.

floridagirl68, no 4 days was nowhere near long enough, but then however long we go for I'd always be happy to stay on for the next cruise! The layout of the ship is so similar to Voyager class that it was easy to find everything, but if we'd never done one before we'd have been overwhelmed.

Deejay, we stayed a couple of nights in Southampton after the cruise so we watched Independence sail away on Wednesday too(and wished we were still on her). We had cabin 6453, we've never had any problems with cabin stewards before so I think we were just unlucky. It was the first time we've ever had an inside cabin and I was a bit worried about it but there was not much choice left when we booked. Actually it was fine for 4 days but for the 3 of us we'll stick with a balcony for a longer cruise.

Our son is 14 and absolutely loved the ship, there is so much to do for this age group.

We didn't do the flow rider manly because the weather was a bit chilly and we're wimps! We watched it and it looked fun, great for the Caribbean. The only thing that disappointed me a bit was that because of the space it takes up there is a much smaller golf course than other ships and no in line skating, both things we enjoy.

BTW nice to see someone else from Cornwall on here, there don't seem to be many of us.

Hope2havefun, we spent the first afternoon in Cobh which is a really nice little town and easy to walk around. The locals make a real effort for the ship with bands playing, a street market and a real party atmosphere. It was the same last year so imagine it will be for you too.

On Monday we caught the train into Cork(the station is at the dock). I think it was 5.5 euros return. The train was absolutely packed with people from the ship, it was standing room only for us. It takes about 30 minutes right into the centre of the city.

To be honest we weren't that impressed with Cork, it had all the standard shops that you get in every city and we didn't find much else to interest us. Next time we should probably plan better or book an excursion.

Julie

Archived