Kotor questions

poss

Would appreciate hearing from Regent folks who've done this port. Trying to decide between the excursion that includes Budva or the one that includes Perast. Or perhaps just do Kotor on one's own? Is the town interesting enough to spend 4-5 hours there? (not interested in shopping) Thanks!

Unless I'm mistaken, Neviboy did not cruise with Regent (which is what this question asks). In addition, the response on the previous post was a recommendation for a particular tavern in Kotor where there is a private guide for the island--neither of which things (the tavern or a private guide) we have any interest in.

It was on Silverseas. Is it that important an issue, Regent v. SS ? And the Taverna Agni web site referred to Corfu not Kotor. and gives specialized knowledge of the island. We try to answer questions to help . Sorry that the subject matter requires precision answers.

Buy Fodors or other guide books which give in depth facts regardless of cruise lines' excursions which all use the same port tour suppliers.

Neviboy: Sorry-- I'd confused Corfu/Kotor-- my bad.

What I'd remembered (because it especially struck me) was your persistence in pushing the taverna/guide thing, when I'd not been inquiring about that at all. Indeed, I do read widely and deeply in various guide books, and take copious notes. I've found, though, that these kinds of websites can be even more helpful than the best guidebooks (or helpful in different ways, let's say).

And it very much does help to hear specifics from past cruisers to these ports on a particular cruise line. On another of my posts, e.g., someone specifically responded in a way that was very helpful, i.e. focusing on how poor two particular Regent excursions were in a particular port; that was a good head's up for me.

In short, I tend to post both on the Regent board and on the Ports of Call board. On PoC, I'm looking perhaps for the more general sorts of details one might find in a guidebook (but still somewhat specific to folks who visit these ports off a ship-- there can be a difference), and when I post on the Regent board, I'm hoping to hear specifics about how Regent handles these port excursions.

In short, I appreciate all kinds of input (except people who are pushing a particular "agenda," which if you were not doing, I most sincerely beg your pardon.)

We have cruised on Regent's Voyager 5 times, Mariner 4 times, Silversea 3 times. I read up on ports, decide what we want to do and see, and then go to the excursions offered for the port by various cruise lines.

All lines use the same tour companies in each port. They offer buses, vans,

watersports, cycling, etc. etc.

For example. A tour bus may charge $300/ hr, and include driver and guide for a 4 hour tour of 'highlights.' Ships charge about $50/person, average, and a bus will contain about 40 persons, average.

We only use ships' excursion information as a guide, preferring to use private tours.

In the past 12 years I have compiled a list of 'guides in ports' and have recommended them to LCT and CC boards. Those still operating have confirmed my having suggested them to cruisers by their thanks. I discovered a fine gentleman, 10 years ago, in Sorrento. Sorrentolimo.com. I get a Xmas card from him every year, and still see his name on boards.

Posters on this and other luxury type cruise boards, offer information so as to benefit fellow travellers. Many of us have met on cruises and still correspond.

We board a ship , sometimes meet staff we have met, enjoy the cruise, talk to fellow travellers, do our own tours with a couple or two that we have met, and just ' forget our worries and smile !' By the way - I'm 81 going on 39.

We have cruised on Regent's Voyager 5 times, Mariner 4 times, Silversea 3 times. I read up on ports, decide what we want to do and see, and then go to the excursions offered for the port by various cruise lines.

All lines use the same tour companies in each port. They offer buses, vans,

watersports, cycling, etc. etc.

For example. A tour bus may charge $300/ hr, and include driver and guide for a 4 hour tour of 'highlights.' Ships charge about $50/person, average, and a bus will contain about 40 persons, average.

We only use ships' excursion information as a guide, preferring to use private tours.

In the past 12 years I have compiled a list of 'guides in ports' and have recommended them to LCT and CC boards. Those still operating have confirmed my having suggested them to cruisers by the thanks on these boards. I discovered a fine gentleman, 10 years ago, in Sorrento. Sorrentolimo.com. I get a Xmas card from him every year, and still see his name on boards being recommended by others.

Posters on this and other luxury type cruise boards, offer information so as to benefit fellow travellers. Many of us have met on cruises and still correspond.

We board a ship , sometimes meet staff we have met, enjoy the cruise, talk to fellow travellers, do our own tours with a couple or two that we have met, and just ' forget our worries and smile !' .

Got it! Makes perfect sense, Neviboy. Thanks for your help and your patience. Not exactly sure why, but DH is averse to going the private tour route. I know that it makes lots of sense and that many people embrace that option.

Archived