internet charge in cabin?

Perl of the Seas

Can you please tell me what the charge is for use of your own laptop in your cabin. Thanks

Hi

Go to page 5, Aug 27, internet info, 43 threads; all you need & knock yourself out!

Jab70

It's the exact same as going to the Internet Center and logging in there.

That depends.. if you have purchased a plan for your internet usage, and you can get a wireless signal in your cabin, the rate is the same. Somewhere between $.25 and $.60 a minute, depending on minutes purchased. If you connect from your cabin through the ethernet jack (if one is available) the rate is $.75 per minute and is separate usage from any package you might have purchased.

[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font]

That depends.. if you have purchased a plan for your internet usage, and you can get a wireless signal in your cabin, the rate is the same. Somewhere between $.25 and $.60 a minute, depending on minutes purchased. If you connect from your cabin through the ethernet jack (if one is available) the rate is $.75 per minute and is separate usage from any package you might have purchased.

How can I argue with that?;) Do you happen to know which ships have the ethernet jack? Don't believe I've seen one yet

How can I argue with that?;) Do you happen to know which ships have the ethernet jack? Don't believe I've seen one yet

It was in our suite on Eurodam. I think they have them in the suites on all of the Vista ships. I'm not sure about the others. They aren't fast, though, from what I've been told. About equivalent to slow dial-up.

It was in our suite on Eurodam. I think they have them in the suites on all of the Vista ships. I'm not sure about the others. They aren't fast, though, from what I've been told. About equivalent to slow dial-up.

Got it, thanks! Will do a better job looking for them next time;)

Are you sure it was an Ethernet jack, and not just a dial-up port like in the VA cabins I've stayed in on Vistas? (Dial-up has four wires, Ethernet has eight.)

IKt doesn't make any defferance whether you do have an ethenet cable or not -- the charges are the same.

Any Plan -- there is a $3.95 activation charge.

If you wish to go by the minute -- $0.75 per minute.

100 minutes -- $55 -- if you sign up on the first day -- an extra 10 minutes.

250 minutes -- $100 -- if you sign up on the first day -- an extra 20 minutes.

IKt doesn't make any defferance whether you do have an ethenet cable or not -- the charges are the same.
Yes, but it sure makes a difference in speed usually, and that determines to a large extent on how much it costs you in the end. That's why I was asking Grumpy1.

Are you sure it was an Ethernet jack, and not just a dial-up port like in the VA cabins I've stayed in on Vistas? (Dial-up has four wires, Ethernet has eight.)

I think you're right about it being a standard phone jack on the Vistas, but I'm pretty sure I looked at the port in our cabin and noted that it was ethernet. I did not use it though. We were in a couple of hotels, pre and post cruise, and did use ethernet in one of them. Since I didn't actually use the wired connection on Eurodam, it's possible I'm mixing memories of the suite and one of the hotels, but I seem to remember a port that was not on the telephone.

... it's possible I'm mixing memories of the suite and one of the hotels, but I seem to remember a port that was not on the telephone.
After her pre-inaugural cruise on the Eurodam, CC member dellas1000 posted a picture on photobucket of a jack marked Modem next to a light switch in cabin VB6173: http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm21/eurodampics1/eurodam_043.jpg

This is clearly not Ethernet ... but the suites may be different.

I'll bring my Ethernet cable in October just in case! Thanks!

After her pre-inaugural cruise on the Eurodam, CC member dellas1000 posted a picture on photobucket of a jack marked Modem next to a light switch in cabin VB6173: http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm21/eurodampics1/eurodam_043.jpg

This is clearly not Ethernet ... but the suites may be different.

I'll bring my Ethernet cable in October just in case! Thanks!

You are right, that modem jack is standard telephone modem and is probably the same as we had in our suite. For some reason I thought I remembered it as being the wider ethernet jack, but probably wishful thinking. We usually have an ethernet cable in the computer bag since they are fairly common in hotels and the front desk somehow has "just loaned out the last one" when I inquire. We had wireless signal in the cabin so there was no need to use the modem.

You are right, that modem jack is standard...... We had wireless signal in the cabin so there was no need to use the modem.

I realize that this does not conform to these threads....but here goes. I'm not making this up but I recall, recently, reading something that customs/home security (airports) were confiscating people's laptops? Not sure if it was Canada to the US, or US?

Jab70

I realize that this does not conform to these threads....but here goes. I'm not making this up but I recall, recently, reading something that customs/home security (airports) were confiscating people's laptops? Not sure if it was Canada to the US, or US?

Jab70

There was a thread discussing this a while back. The gist is yes, U.S. TSA can seize a laptop and hold it for an indeterminate amount of time for "inspection" without probable cause. However, nobody posting on the thread (including me) seemed overly alarmed about it. We don't believe it would be done without some suspicion of the person with the laptop. I'll see if I can locate the thread.

EDIT: Sorry, I can't find the thread - too far back I guess. IMO, don't worry about it.

There was a thread discussing this a while back. The gist is yes, U.S. TSA can seize a laptop and hold it for an indeterminate amount of time for "inspection" without probable cause. However, nobody posting on the thread (including me) seemed overly alarmed about it. We don't believe it would be done without some suspicion of the person with the laptop. I'll see if I can locate the thread.

EDIT: Sorry, I can't find the thread - too far back I guess. IMO, don't worry about it.

That thread is here -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=821901

Rich

Archived