Sea sickness

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone had sea sick while traveling on the PD. I keep hearing that I wont get sick on the PD as it's so big! I am looking forward to this cruise so very much but can't help to think that I might start looking a little bit green on it:D . Have you been on the PD and got sick? Have you been on the Sky/Sun and got sick? I went on the sky in 2003 and was ill the 3rd day - an injection helped and enjoyed the cruise from that moment on.

I have the travel sickness bands and do intend to use them, and obviously there is travel calm. Is there anything else that you can use as an prevention???

regards-

Aussiescouser (the wife):p :p :p

I always have a phenergan tablet on the first night and that gives you a good sleep as well as helping the seasickness. The needle you get is apparently phenergan anyway. You can now buy phenergan over the counter without a prescription. I have never been seasick but still take a tablet that first night just in case.

Hi ussiescouser,

Havn't been on the Dawn yet( this time next weeek though......) so I can't tell you about sea sickness on her. I am prone to travel sickness.....car bus train plane and sea.....On our first cruise I was very sick and had about 6 injections throught the cruise. 2nd cruise on the Sky, yep sick the first night.....Doctor gave me some little white pills and said take 1, 3times a day, did so, and wasn't sick for the rest of the cruise. I asked for the name of the little white tablet........Phenergan. 3rd cruise on the Sun, took 1 phenergan night before the cruise, then 1 , 3 times a day and I wasn't sick at all. Next week when we go on the Dawn I will be doing the same as I did on the Sun.

This is what works for me and I am not going to change it.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Wow thanks guys, I will definitely be getting myself some Phenergan sounds like it worked for both of you. I am willing to give anything a try. Looking forward to see if this works for you on the PD MargnGrah, can you let me know?

I'm feeling a bit more confident already because all that i can remember that there is no worse feeling then feeling :D :D :D green "YUK".

Hubby is an x sailor so he has no probs.

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone had sea sick while traveling on the PD. I keep hearing that I wont get sick on the PD as it's so big! I am looking forward to this cruise so very much but can't help to think that I might start looking a little bit green on it:D . Have you been on the PD and got sick? Have you been on the Sky/Sun and got sick? I went on the sky in 2003 and was ill the 3rd day - an injection helped and enjoyed the cruise from that moment on.

I have the travel sickness bands and do intend to use them, and obviously there is travel calm. Is there anything else that you can use as an prevention???

regards-

In our family we all swear by Avomine tablets available from the chemist. The advantage of these tablets are they work for 24 hours so you take 1 the night before you leave and then 1 each night before you go to bed until you get your sea legs. Then you only need 1 if the sea gets very rocky. Sometimes make you a bit sleepy but as you are taking it just before you go to bed its usually not a pfoblem Kerrie

Hi aussiescouser ...

We've used both Phernerghan and Dramamine successfully in the past. I think I've built up a resiliance to Phernerghan as they don't knock me out like they used to! (I get the 10mg ones - which are the smaller dosage ... you can take two of these - I think they come in 25mg as well. I find one 10mg does the trick usually - but it's peace of mind to know I can always 'up the dose'!). I've taken both of these with alcohol (well actually I took them with water :eek:... but I did have a couple of wines later on!):D I think it can make you sleepier ... but given I wasn't planning on operating any heavy machinery - I didn't worry too much! (Slept well though!)

I found that once we got to the islands I was ok ... but have found the trip back to Brisbane can get a rough, (and I was sick once on the Pacific Sun last cruise) --- I took a Stemitil and some ginger tablets and was back up and around in time for bingo!!!:D:D

Have just returned from a great cruise on Pacific Dawn. Much to my disgust, I'm not a good sailor. I had some dramamine (no longer available), which I took one each day for the first 3 days, just in case. I also had stemetil and travacalm which were not touched. Seas were pretty calm although I thought that we rocked a little for a day or so. They did mention that our particular cruise was the smoothest they had in a while!

Take your medication and forget all about it - you'll have the best time ever.:)

Another quick question, Are you able to mix Phernergon with Alcohol?

I take 25mg phenergon and I do, drink while taking them. I am not drowsy through the day but at night I am usually quite tried and am in bed by 10.30 -11.00..........which is really ok:)

I think my body is used to them and I would advise anyone taking them for the first time to be wary ,and not drink too much especially for the first day or two . Maybe talk to the chemist before you take them.

absolutely agree on the phernergan, they definetly work but do make you drowsy i find. Another thing to take is Tums, my daughter gets seasickess really bad and she thinks they work great, cheap and available from the supermarket. We've also tried kwells and ginger tablets, but found them ineffective... have a great cruise, but better to go prepared..

i can't have phenergen, I had it once for a bite and it did weird things to me, i'd sleep and then be screaming and then back to sleep, screaming again. Not meaning to scare anyone, they obvioulsy just don't agree with me.

I remember reading that dramamine was discontinued and was going to buy the recommended travelcalm which has the same ingreadients (I know that thanks to you guys also).....but then a friend at work said there was a lot of bad press about travelcalm.......have you guys come across that?

I have always been lucky and not suffered but have been on an cruise where we sailed through tailend of a cyclone. It was very,very rough and a good lot of passengers were ill. The doc gave anyone who went to him an injection (cost about $10 dollars 4 years ago) and it was a miracle worker! Just another option for you.

Les

i can't have phenergen, I had it once for a bite and it did weird things to me, i'd sleep and then be screaming and then back to sleep, screaming again. Not meaning to scare anyone, they obvioulsy just don't agree with me.

I remember reading that dramamine was discontinued and was going to buy the recommended travelcalm which has the same ingreadients (I know that thanks to you guys also).....but then a friend at work said there was a lot of bad press about travelcalm.......have you guys come across that?

Travacalm had a problem several years ago. They did not have proper batch control, and had a bad batch containing several times the proper amount of active ingredients. My wife took one of these in preparation for a fishing trip, and was bed bound & groggy for 2 days. Thought she had a bug till the Travacalm news hit the press a couple of weeks later.

What followed was a total recall of all of the Pan pharmacutical range, including their generic medicines and vitamins. Through recent court action, the owner sued the authorities for going too far with their actions.

This was several years ago, and the resultant action left Pan Pharmacutical with proper batch control methods and there has been no reoccurring problem.

PS - I have a near full pack of super, duper, duper Travacalm if anyone wants it.

Hi guys,

regards-

Hi Aussiescouser,

We were on the Pacific Dawn maiden cruise. This was my first cruise and the only time i felt ill was during and just after the shore tour presentation. I think it was because of sitting there with a fairly droning voice talking and watching the pictures on the screen with the curtains moving from side to side as the ship rolled a bit. After the talk the wife went for a massage and i took one quells and went back to the cabin for a lie down for an hour or so. After that never had another problem.

Don

oh thanks for explaining all that to me. I do remember the pan pharmacuetical thing, but didn't know it was travalcalm. Thanks

I should borrow your packet, if any of my family annoys me on the trip I could offer them one :D

I am particularly prone to motion sickness (not only on the sea). Phenergan would make me sleep .... and sleep. I use used dramamine very successfully for years. I researched the ingredients, and it is identical to Travacalm. The problem Pan Pharmaceuticals had manufacturing Travacalm is in the past and I believe there are now strict controls. Avomine that some people use is an antihistimine like Phenergan. Stemetil blocks the message to the brain to throw up. My GP prescribed it for our first cruise, and it stopped me throwing up but I felt like dying instead. I think I would have felt better if I could have thrown up. No more stemetil for me.:):)

We had 3 days of very rough seas last Dec on the Star out of Auckland. It was our 3rd cruise & we thought we were good sailors but even seasoned cruisers (35cruises) got sick. We had kwells which we used up very quickly. I was disappointed that the only remedies sold on board were ginger capsules & travacalm (natural) also really only ginger. They did nothing for us & we were miserable. I had some maxolon tabs for migraines & took those which helped. They are similar to stematil I think. Once we got to the islands the seas settled down but I bought some "Sea Legs" in Fiji (an English product). We didn't need to open the pack but will take it this time & buy some extra phenergan or something just in case. I know when we cruised in 04 on the Sky you could buy Kwells on the ship....but not last time.

For us we seem to be more badly affected if the seas are rough as soon as you leave the harbour as was the case on the Star. If you get a day or 2 of calm to moderate seas & have your "sea legs" when you hit bad weather you seem to cope better. have others found this?

Just back from PD. My DH is prone to motion sickness, the only day he felt sick was when we were pitching. We had 5 metre swell that day. That was the day the Captain was giving hime virtuaL bridge tour in the sholwounge, you could hear the odd wave thumping on the ship.

My DH was fine with the rolling but not the pitching. He took Phenergan twice a day but on this particular day he had Stemetil as well which helped. My girlfriend had to have an injection, even though she had one the day we sailed.

Phenergan with alcohol may make you quite drowsy.

All in all it was quite a good cruise, just one bad patch. The stabilisers were out quite a bit.

If you are feeling sick while on board I think it best to see the doctor and not just go to the shop on board.....what they sell will not be strong enough. The doctor will be able to give something a bit stronger which is what you need if you are already feeling "seady".:D

Perhaps what the shop sells is ok for preventative measures. Hope this helps... :)

This is good advice. If you are really sick it is not much good swallowing tablets. They will probably not stay down long enough to be effective. It is better to go to the medical centre and have an injection. If you are feeling just a bit 'off' a tablet will probably do the job.:):)

does anyone know if it's ONLY phenergen that they have onboard for injections?

I understand that is what they use. You may as well take some phenergen (or other meds) and swallow a tablet before you get to the stage of needing an injection. That would be much cheaper.:):)

Archived