Bringing oxygen on the Dawn

glen tev

My 80 yr old fatherinlaw is going on the Dawn with us in Oct.He has COPD and uses oxygen at night before bed.He wants to bring 2 or 3 small bottles that can be carried on.Does he need a script from his doctor for this or any special paperwork filled out for NCL . Like i said there the small bottles that can be brought on in a carryon.Anyone with any experience with these please pass it along.Thanks

My 80 yr old fatherinlaw is going on the Dawn with us in Oct.He has COPD and uses oxygen at night before bed.He wants to bring 2 or 3 small bottles that can be carried on.Does he need a script from his doctor for this or any special paperwork filled out for NCL . Like i said there the small bottles that can be brought on in a carryon.Anyone with any experience with these please pass it along.Thanks

Why don't you call NCL and ask? I use a wheelchair and had several disability/access related questions, called, and the NCL rep was very helpful and creative with answers and solutions.

Are you travellilng by plane to get to the ship? If so, I know for certain that you'll need to have paperwork there, too. Call your airline for that information.

I sailed with my mother last year on the Majesty, she also has COPD and uses oxygen. If I remember correctly, you cannot take compressed air cylinders onto the ship. I did some research on the internet and found a type of machine that was portable and electrical. I then called our medical supply company and they found such a machine that we were able to use for the week. Just had the doctor write a new script for the week. Call NCL and check with them to make sure my memory is correct. Then try doing a goggle search for portable oxygen - and also talk to your medical supply company (who he gets his oxygen from) to see what you can do.

Are you travellilng by plane to get to the ship? If so, I know for certain that you'll need to have paperwork there, too. Call your airline for that information.

You'll definitely have problems with cylinders of compressed oxygen, I'm 99% sure you can't bring them on the plane (checked or carry-on) at all, so DO check with your airline (and if they DO allow them, check with TSA to see how you will get them through the security checkpoint).

The oxygen generator arielmurphy describes sounds like it might be a good alternative, certainly easier to travel with. :)

Archived