san diego taxi

bmacri

Our first cruise was out of San Diego.

I didn't know better and paid $20 each for a big bus that we had to wait for an hour to get on that took us to the pier.

Would a taxi be cheaper?

Has anyone taken a taxi from the airport to the pier?

When we sailed from San Diego last April we stayed the previous night at the Hyatt. We took a cab from the airport for $12 and we passed the cruise ship pier along the way. You would certainly be better off taking a cab than the shuttle you used last time.

Our first cruise was out of San Diego.

I didn't know better and paid $20 each for a big bus that we had to wait for an hour to get on that took us to the pier.

Would a taxi be cheaper?

I never load into a Taxi-van or Taxi-bus... ever! Well, unless it's a city where they do not have any sedan cabs... all for the reason you mentioned. WHo wants to wait to get someone on someone elses time schedule? Not me.

It's 2.4 miles from San Diego International airport to the cruise terminal... a 7 minute taxi ride.

There is Orange Cab, San Diego Cab, and Yellow Cab.

Yellow Cab of San Diego's website says it's $2.60 a mile plus a $2.40 flag-drop charge. So a 2.4 mile cab ride should cost (2.4 * $2.6 ) + $2.40 = $8.84.

See: http://www.driveu.com/yellow_cab.asp

Best of luck. :)

Don't want to steal your thread but I too have a taxi question for San Diego.

We have a port call, (it's also an embarkation port for tohers on our cruise to the Amazon), in San Diego on Sept. 30....so we thought while the others were getting on the ship and squared away we would like to see the San Diego Zoo. Is that a reasonable cab ride from the pier? How far is it? How much time will we need to have a real good look around and maybe a stop for lunch at the Zoo? Is it an all day excursion?

Thanks.

I recommend a full day for the Zoo, but of course you don't have to stay that long. There are several places to eat at the Zoo, or you can walk over to Balboa Park and have a lovely lunch at the Prado restaurant (outdoor terrance is best if the weather cooperates). You can even get your hand stamped at the Zoo for same day re-entry if you want to walk over to the restaurant and back. It is about 8 blocks or so in distance.

A cab from the cruise ship pier will run you about $15-20 to Balboa Park right by the restaurant, a little more to the Zoo as the street route is further.

Don't want to steal your thread but I too have a taxi question for San Diego.

We have a port call, (it's also an embarkation port for tohers on our cruise to the Amazon), in San Diego on Sept. 30....so we thought while the others were getting on the ship and squared away we would like to see the San Diego Zoo. Is that a reasonable cab ride from the pier? How far is it? How much time will we need to have a real good look around and maybe a stop for lunch at the Zoo? Is it an all day excursion?

Thanks.

We took the bus. Keep in mind that I did San Diego as a port of call 19 years ago. When I did, we did go to Balboa Park. The city bus line runs from very close to the Amtrak Station (near the pier) to Balboa Park & the Zoo, line 7 according to their website. All things considered it sounds like a taxi is not a bad deal; the bus fare is $2.25. Either way, Balboa Park & the Zoo are quite accessible on your own.

Do you know if they are cabs at the Amtrak station ? Or is it better to walk from Amtrak to the port with bags in hand ?

thanks

We took the bus. Keep in mind that I did San Diego as a port of call 19 years ago. When I did, we did go to Balboa Park. The city bus line runs from very close to the Amtrak Station (near the pier) to Balboa Park & the Zoo, line 7 according to their website. All things considered it sounds like a taxi is not a bad deal; the bus fare is $2.25. Either way, Balboa Park & the Zoo are quite accessible on your own.

Archived