Should We Transfer Our Res To Online TA?

MD VBMom

We made our upcoming cruise reservations directly with RCCL. Our final payment is due September 12. DH has just heard of a reputable online TA that is offering free gratuities for new bookings. I called the company and they said that if we transferred our booking to them, we would qualify for the free gratuities offer. We have two (w/ two people each) reservations, so that's about $350. Though we have used a TA for other vacations, I've never used one for a cruise. I like having control of the reservations. But this close to the trip and with everything set, we're thinking there's nothing to lose. The TA said we would still book our excursions through the cruise line as before. Can anybody offer any pros/cons to doing this.....I love the thought of saving $350!! Thanks!

Make sure you find out what their policy is for price drops, will the do them or will you then lose the free tips? Get everything in writing. Can you get a hold of the same person each time or it is a crapshoot who you speak to.

I was wondering if I should try and transfer our booking too....Our last holiday cruise we transferred to a 'group' and had gratuities for 2 balcony (js and d1 i think it was) paid and some other stuff. Anyway, pymnt is due in a few weeks, as soon as i call C&A to apply our platinum balcony credit to both cabins (do you know how much that is for a 12 night cruise?), then I might investigate transferring if I can find a TA that offers perks!!!

Do most people get TA Perks like gratuities paid? (loved that last year!!)

I was wondering if I should try and transfer our booking too....Our last holiday cruise we transferred to a 'group' and had gratuities for 2 balcony (js and d1 i think it was) paid and some other stuff. Anyway, pymnt is due in a few weeks, as soon as i call C&A to apply our platinum balcony credit to both cabins (do you know how much that is for a 12 night cruise?), then I might investigate transferring if I can find a TA that offers perks!!!

Do most people get TA Perks like gratuities paid? (loved that last year!!)

200$ for 12 nights

I had several good experiences with online agencies and then one not so good. A year or two later tried them again---not so good---and when questioned about issues--became they rather rude (agent and her boss).

If the perks are major--maybe. Any chance a local agency has good perks? They might have better customer service.

I have found 2 online agencies that have been responsive enough to my needs that I would not hesitate to use them. I have also found one online agency that you couldn't offer me enough in incentives to ever use them again.

Most of the time I'll hold a reservation until I'm certain I have everything set the way I want it to be. Then I'll consider transfering the reservation. The problem I have is when I see something I want to do (cabin change when one opens up in a better location), I want to do it now and confirm it now. I don't like leaving a message and hoping the TA gets to the message in time. I'm also not very found of playing phone tag and, when a good online TA has a bunch of customers, it's inevitable that you'll play phone tag.

I am also debating a transfer to a travel agent. I know my cruise is very far off.....but I would like to save some money if possible. I found an agency that I have used in the past that is offering pre-paid gratuities for the 1st & 2nd passengers (we have 4 to a cabin) plus $50 OBC. They will reduce the price of the cruise if the pricing goes down although I am the one that needs to alert them of the pricing. Not sure what to do as I have so much time.........

For our last cruise we transferred our booking to an on-line TA. While I was nervous doing it, it worked out fine.

Next time I'll probably wait until closer to the final payment date before transferring, but that's just my preference.

Thanks for the opinions....suggestions. On one hand, I feel like nothing could really go wrong....everything is booked just like we want it. Final payment is just 2 weeks away. There most likely will not be a price drop (before final payment) as the cruise is during Thanksgiving week. It's hard to pass up $350....But, I'm sure things could go wrong, and I'd be very upset if I couldn't reach an agent on the phone in an emergency vs calling RCCL and dealing directly with them. I've looked around a bit at local agencies. Not many here seem to offer any incentives. There is a local travel agent we've used for many vacations over the years and we usually don't even get so much as a thank you note from her----let alone a bottle of wine!! So, I'm not sure (still!) what to do. :(

Last year we did just what you are pondering. We had reservations directly through RCL but then transferred to an online agency (who advertise here frequently, BTW...) in order to get pre-paid gratuities on 2 cabins. Glad to say it all worked out great. We did so fairly close to the sail date.

The only gotchas to watch out for:

a) You'll lose the ability to modify your own reservation on the RCL site

b) If you plan on paying final payment with an RCL/BoFA credit card to get the double reward points, be sure to ask the agency how the charge will appear on your statement. The charge must read "ROYAL CARIBBEAN" in order to get the double points. If it instead reads, for example, "JOE'S ONLINE CRUISE EMPORIUM" you won't get the double points. Just an FYI.

Good luck.

- Ken

When you transfer to an on-line TA is the fare that you booked with RCCL subject to change. Meaning if I have a lower fare then what is being offered today, will I loose that and go to the current fare being offered for the cabin when I transfer to the TA?

We transfered our last reservation from direct with RCCL to an online TA. We rec'd $100 OBC pp for a 7 day Adventure OTS cruise. However, even though we were told the final payment would be listed as a RCCL charge on our RCCL Visa, it was listed as a charge to the travel agency. This time before I switch my reservation over to the online TA I'm going to call RCL direct and pay all but $50 and then make the switch.

When you transfer to an on-line TA is the fare that you booked with RCCL subject to change. Meaning if I have a lower fare then what is being offered today, will I loose that and go to the current fare being offered for the cabin when I transfer to the TA?

No -- your original cruise fare carries over to the TA. You keep the same reservation #,etc... It's just that the TA "owns it" now.

- Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone on this information. I've been doing some searching and have certainly found a lot off different offers out there. Here is what I've experienced.

1. Agent wouldn't transfer and said I should just stick with what I've got as it was better.

2. Could transfer, but would have to pay fees to transfer, plus they charge fees for any changes.

3. I can transfer, but they don't offer any OBC or other credit.

4. I can transfer and can get an OBC, but not official policy of company, just offered by the agent.

I've seen offers as low as $25 and as high as 10%. Since we're not allowed to find out on here whom other used, I did want to ask is this what others have experienced? Any input on local TA versus on-line?

Thanks

Scott

Bayer:

Please don't ever think nothing can go wrong. Just look at those on Carnival ships that sail out of Galveston over the last few days. If you have a good TA, then they should represent you with RCCL in case of a problem. I have read enough complaints on these boards to know that it can be a major pain to try to work things out with RCCL personally. It all depends on having a good TA who will go that extra mile when problems happen. But finding a really good travel agent is the real challenge. I love my TA. She has been extremely efficient in contacting RCCL and solving any problems we have encountered (before as well as after our cruises) and I am happy that she often checks the price in case our cruise goes on sale. We usually book directly with RCCL, but then transfer it to her. We just booked the Brilliance on the web site and when she took it over, she got us an extra $300 off that was not given us while we were on the phone with RCCL.

Karon

I love my TA. She has been extremely efficient in contacting RCCL and solving any problems we have encountered (before as well as after our cruises) and I am happy that she often checks the price in case our cruise goes on sale. We usually book directly with RCCL, but then transfer it to her. We just booked the Brilliance on the web site and when she took it over, she got us an extra $300 off that was not given us while we were on the phone with RCCL.

Karon

Is she an on-line TA or a local TA?

don't wait too long as you have to fill out a form, fax it in and wait for RC to do their stuff....

we gave ours to our TA...she is great (but kinda gave up on a battle with RC, which I continued...and WON!) i did change cabins....late last Fri i found a great cabin...did a 24 hour hold on RC dot com, emailed TA..she called RC, put them on hold, called me, i cancelled the hold, she grabbed the cabin and all done...

we get a little OBC since she took over the bookings during a sale they had, but i really don't care so much....i like to control everything, but sometimes, wacky stuff can happen...

Archived