Loyal X cruisers try RCCL - LONG review

lysolqn

Hi Purple Cow :)

"Demographics refers to selected population characteristics Commonly-used demographics include age, income, disabilities, educational attainment, home ownership, employment status, and location.

IMO, Royal Caribbean generally appeals more to: younger people (30-50 & younger), families, and more active people, regardless of age; while Celebrity generally appeals to older people (40-60 & older) (overlap intended), regardless of age, more willing to let the action come to them rather than go find it, & who are looking more for a more refined atmosphere, rather than a more go, go go atmosphere. Just compare the respective advertisimg campaigns & brochures, & one can readily see the differences.

The terms "demigraphics" & "socio-economic" are again, IMO, as they pertain to this thread, pure BS.

while Celebrity generally appeals to ... who are looking more for a more refined atmosphere, rather than a more go, go go atmosphere.

This is a thing that gets said a lot here but I would not consider refined to be a good contrast to "go, go, go." Sedentary might be a better descriptor.

I think she said "demographic," not socio-economic level. Not the same thing.

In her review of this cruise on the RCI boards she does indeed state that the socio-economic levels of the two cruise lines was different.

"With 4200 people (900 children on our sailing) on Freedom, the passenger demographics were much more diverse than any we’ve encountered on Celebrity. Firstly, there were many more families with children of all ages - most of whom (I’m pleased to say) were quite well behaved. Clearly, RCCL markets to a younger, more family oriented demographic than does Celebrity and that is quite evident. We also noticed a difference in the socio-economic demographic between RCCL and X passengers. Please don’t flame me; I am not passing judgment on the socio-economic group of passengers on RCCL. I am, however, noting that there is, in fact, a very definite difference in passengers which may or may not have been unique to this cruise, the length of the cruise, the time of year, all of the above or none of the above."

We-re mid-50's, college-educated, I'm an IT professional, my husband is a musician. We probably fit in well, demongraphic-wise, with the average Celebrity cruiser.

We like active excursions, and a good night life on board. We don't participate in pool games, and in recent years have become watchers at Quest rather than participants. We had our first spa experience on our most recent cruise - a hot stone massage. A loyalty ambassador told us a couple of years ago that we were probably a better fit for RCI than Celebrity, due to the level of activity we like and the fact that we don't go in for a whole lot of pampering.

Our favorite ships are the Radiance class, which we've cruised almost exclusively for the past 7 years, with a break for the itinerary Empress had (where we were the youngsters on board!). We've never been on a Voyager or Freedom class ship, and have no desire to book those or the new Oasis class. Those are the ships RCI is marketing heavily, and marketing to the family demographic. We don't mind kids on a cruise, but we prefer the ambience of the Radiance class ships, and don't want to be on something as big, and with as many people, as the larger classes are.

We'll see how well we fit in with the Celebrity crowd when we take our first X cruise, booked more for the itinerary than the opportunity to cruise Celebrity. Of course, the price was a driver, too. We were able to book our CC class cabin for just a little bit more than our D1 afts on Serenade. It'll be a smaller cabin, and we'll miss the Diamond perks, but we're looking forward to the cruise.

This is a thing that gets said a lot here but I would not consider refined to be a good contrast to "go, go, go." Sedentary might be a better descriptor.

Hi Sckplinky! Maybe it was a bad analogy, you see it your way, & I see it mine, that's why they make vanilla, chocolate, & strawberry. I wouldn't call Celebrity sedentary. To me sedentary, "nursing home", & X is not like that. I still say, look at the respective advertising of the two lines & you readily see who their targeted passengers are.

Hi Sckplinky! Maybe it was a bad analogy, you see it your way, & I see it mine, that's why they make vanilla, chocolate, & strawberry. I wouldn't call Celebrity sedentary. To me sedentary, "nursing home", & X is not like that. I still say, look at the respective advertising of the two lines & you readily see who their targeted passengers are.

Sorry, I actually agree with you, it's just that I don't see refined and "go, go, go" as opposites. I think you're bang on when you say the advertising speaks to the core market. Like you, I also don't think of Celebrity as nursing home refined, either (we learned what that was on HAL).

In my limited experience, I find that the length of cruise, the departure port and the age of the ship make a much bigger difference than the line.

In the end, I think X and RCL are much more alike than most will admit and have noticed over the years that the people who feel most strongly about the difference have not been on both so I applaud the OP for their adventurousness.

I have sailed on both lines. While I can’t say I had a bad cruise on X I prefer to sail RCCL because I feel I have more fun on their ships. Lately I have seen more and more X cruisers sailing on RCCL for the Crown & Anchor perks that you don’t get with Celebrity.

Shak

You are so right,,,include two more of us who have gone over to RCC for the better perks you get with them:) ...We enjoy RCC, is more fun...We have done many cruises on X and have always favored them,,,then we found out that we could get $$off cabin and alot more perks with RCC,,,X is a great cruise line but they don't appreciate their loyal customers:mad: ...

Sorry, I actually agree with you, it's just that I don't see refined and "go, go, go" as opposites. I think you're bang on when you say the advertising speaks to the core market. Like you, I also don't think of Celebrity as nursing home refined, either (we learned what that was on HAL).

In my limited experience, I find that the length of cruise, the departure port and the age of the ship make a much bigger difference than the line.

In the end, I think X and RCL are much more alike than most will admit and have noticed over the years that the people who feel most strongly about the difference have not been on both so I applaud the OP for their adventurousness.

Hi Schplinky :)

I agree with you about the port of departure and length of cruise being more important than the cruise line.

A perfect example is the dramatic difference in our wonderful 14 night Baltic Cruise on Constellation in June 2006 and our mediocre at best 7 night Caribbean cruise from Florida on the same ship five months later.

In her review of this cruise on the RCI boards she does indeed state that the socio-economic levels of the two cruise lines was different.

Problem with the scientific polls then I think. On X and RCCL the delta is so small that it doesn't amount to much. Change it to lets say Regent and Carnival, then it might be otherwise.

I haven't tried RCCL yet, but if I were to, I'd choose the Radiance Class. I've heard some very good things about what attractive ships they are and a cruise on one of those is in my future.

Phil

Hi Phil! Radiance Class has some real warmth and I've said it times before, they maneuver in the water like nothing else. Can't wait for Solstice Class like you, yet I don't think that based on the decor of The Solstice that she will have the same effect toward elegance, but I feel pretty sure it is going to be an exciting ship that will not disappoint with surprising spaces, decor, and plenty of wow in her own right.

Hi 4Adam13 :)

I think that one of the reasons why a lot of people are willing to pay more for RCCL is because of the WOW factor of most of their newer ships, which are usually in excellent condition, as well.

Hey Skysweet,

Completely agree......RCCL does a good job with marketing that WOW factor. They also kind of have to....especially seeing where the Freedom class ships cost 600 million!! :eek: Better yet, it will be interesting to see what X does with its new ships and its pricing strategies.....its fifth ship which is slated to be completed in 2012 is costing a whopping $320,000 PER berth....for a grand total of $912 million....it will almost be a 1 BILLION dollar ship :eek: :eek:

Sorry I got off topic of the review.

Voyager70, you are absolutely correct; I did state the above. However, from the outset, I also said the review was based soley on our particular experiences and observations on our sailing our FOS. With repsect to our observation that there is a difference between the socio-economic level of pax on RCCl and that of pax on X, I stand by that, based soley on what we saw - no scientific survey, no judgment passed that one is better than the other - just different. I also said that the difference we observed may have been peculiar to that specific cruise for a variety of reasons or no reason at all.

Hi Schplinky :)

I agree with you about the port of departure and length of cruise being more important than the cruise line.

A perfect example is the dramatic difference in our wonderful 14 night Baltic Cruise on Constellation in June 2006 and our mediocre at best 7 night Caribbean cruise from Florida on the same ship five months later.

For a lot of us,including my wife and I, this is true but we have friends that would be bored on X and HAL and others that would not like the family,nightlife style of the Carnival and RCCL ships.There are plus and minuses to all cruise lines mainstream and otherwise....................Frank:)

For a lot of us,including my wife and I, this is true but we have friends that would be bored on X and HAL and others that would not like the family,nightlife style of the Carnival and RCCL ships.There are plus and minuses to all cruise lines mainstream and otherwise....................Frank:)

That's true, to a point. We often talk abut if we won the lottery, would we move "up" to the higher end lines but I'm not sure we'd be happy without the big shows and amenities that mass market lines like RCL and X provide.

Voyager70, you are absolutely correct; I did state the above. However, from the outset, I also said the review was based soley on our particular experiences and observations on our sailing our FOS. With repsect to our observation that there is a difference between the socio-economic level of pax on RCCl and that of pax on X, I stand by that, based soley on what we saw - no scientific survey, no judgment passed that one is better than the other - just different. I also said that the difference we observed may have been peculiar to that specific cruise for a variety of reasons or no reason at all.

I don't know how anyone can determine what the socio-economic levels are between passengers unless one asks for a balance sheet. ;)

The obvious difference to even a pauper is that RCCL has more things for kids to do.

I don't know how anyone can determine what the socio-economic levels are between passengers unless one asks for a balance sheet. ;)

Not "determination" but rather, "observation" which, admittedly, is in the eye of the beholder.

The obvious difference to even a pauper is that RCCL has more things for kids to do.

Agreed; an obvious difference to prince and pauper, alike. Though I never suggested (or believe) that one line caters to princes while the other caters to paupers.

We only tried a couple of Carnival cruises, one Norwegian, and then we found Celebrity, and have never looked back, nor tried anything else, other than Azamara (which was amazing).

I would like to try RCCL just to see the spectacle of one of their mega ships, and experience those Crown and Anchor perks, but the following things concern me:

- more passengers per space

- announcements

- possibility of kids running wild

Since we generally go on longer cruises, the kids likely wouldn't be a problem on RCCL for us, but, when we were on Azamara in February, we docked beside a huge Carnival ship, and watching the hordes pour from the ship was a little shocking. After two weeks on Azamara, with only 700 passengers on board, the thought of sharing a ship with nearly 4,000 passengers seemed unbearable. We spoke to some of the people coming from the Carnival ship who were curious about Azamara, and they said the ship was crowded and there were line-ups all the time.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind a little more excitement than Celebrity currently offers (I'm in my 40's), but I am very hesitant to give up the service and uncrowded feeling aboard their ships. Azamara was even better, and I would certainly pay more to sail Azamara for the same itinerary. The service, food and atmosphere was out of this world. Our next three cruises are booked on Celebrity, two on the new class of ships.

What scares me is that the Solstice and Equinox will have staffing numbers closer to RCCL than the Millie-class ships. In fact, they will have 900 more passengers but the same number of crew (if the numbers I read on certain websites are accurate). This will have to result in a large drop in service.

I can't seem to find crew numbers on Celebrity's website - does anyone know where to find the official numbers?

That's true, to a point. We often talk abut if we won the lottery, would we move "up" to the higher end lines but I'm not sure we'd be happy without the big shows and amenities that mass market lines like RCL and X provide.

Good point.While winning the lottery would be nice we are comfortable with our middle class lifestyle and love our middle class friends and have enjoyed the wonderful folks we've met on our middle class trips.I might be bored if I move up .We might book more suites though........................Frank:)

Hi Finely Cruising :)

I agree with you that there is no way to determine the socio economic class of passengers on a ship. In fact, whenever I meet someone on a cruise who tries to tell me how rich they are, I have a tendency to think they are just the opposite.

I agree with you that there is no way to determine the socio economic class of passengers on a ship. In fact, whenever I meet someone on a cruise who tries to tell me how rich they are, I have a tendency to think they are just the opposite.

I think that would be a high economic class coupled with a low social class. :D

Setting aside economics, it usually isn't terribly difficult to determine the "socio-" part of the equation - on a cruise ship or elsewhere.

Setting aside economics, it usually isn't terribly difficult to determine the "socio-" part of the equation - on a cruise ship or elsewhere.

Hi lysolgn :)

The "socio" component of socio economics is somewhat subjective and not that easy to determine either with passengers that you do not know on a ship. It can refer to education, intelligence, respect within the community, contributions to society, personal accomplishments, or prestige.

The only thing that is obvious is whether or not other passengers are polite, fun to be with, interesting, and carry themselves with dignity. However, that is all that really matters, anyway.

Many people do not have signs of wealth. Many people do not have obvious social skills or good graces or even a sense of propriety.

I have been with nose pickers who's oxford shirts include thread worn cuffs and whose talk cheap and frugal ideas are like none other. I think they call that 'old money'. :D

The common denominator across all passengers is the enjoyment of cruising. If we try to learn more about a fellow passenger beyond that, its just a flaw of being too nosey and a result of some inferiority issue.;)

Just go and have fun!!!

Hi lysolgn :)

The "socio" component of socio economics is somewhat subjective and not that easy to determine either with passengers that you do not know on a ship. It can refer to education, intelligence, respect within the community, contributions to society, personal accomplishments, or prestige.

Hi SkySweet,

It can also refer to social skills and how one chooses to conduct oneself in public. The language one uses, the way one interacts with fellow pax, one's respect or lack thereof for another's person and/or property, one's general appearance, one's interaction with staff and crew, one's manner of dress (having nothing whatsoever to do with how one dresses on formal night!), as well as one's manners and overall demeanor, are all clearly indicators of the level of one's social skills - all of which, IMHO, are legitimate calls with respect to socio-economic differences between what we noticed on FOS compared to pax demographics on our many X cruises. I think you'll agree that not everything boils down to a matter of dollars and cents.

Archived