$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

Yes, but a white font would take some of the fun out of it for all of us enjoying this "car wreck"...:D I swear that this thread has some sort of weird magnet attached to it - just draws you in :eek: regardless of opinion...

Yes, it sucks you in like a cruise ship toilet with the lid up toilet08.gif

Hey, it works! I had to give that white font thing a try..... :D

Now you all will just have to wonder what I had to say. Hmmmm, this might be how I handle posters that drive me crazy in the future. I will just tell them what I really think - in white. No poofing, no banning. It will be great......;)

Be careful.....as that plan is not foolproof.;)

Have you tried a white font? Give it a try. A nice, long, rambling post too.

;)

Nicely done, KMagz!! I've gotta give you a salute for that one. :cool:

In honor of your suggestion, I'll use that font to recap each and ever sensible, coherent & logical post here from xpc, curley, fred and the rest of that gang.

Here goes:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Well this `trebuchet` pink scheme isn't any gift, is it?

And `lucida` in a washed-out lime is cheery, but lame.

AS FOR THIS GRAPE-DRINK SHADE OF 'IMPACT,' WELL ... :eek: :eek:!!

So we'll go back to the old reliable, eh?

Yes, yes, no need for "thank you's" ... you're welcome!

End the RCL pay-per-entree scam!

Say "No" to Fain

You know, I really like a lot of what you have to say though I'm not always crazy about the way you say it. But the color and font......:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

As you can see I was on the 9/7/08 sailing of Freedom. Yes there is offered on the MDR menu every night a Chop's steak for $14.95. On one night I think it was Saturday, one of the free alternative choices was the Black Angus sirloin. I do think that if asked for you could probably have gotten it. I know one of our tablemates got shrimp cocktail every night & no it was not on the menu every night either. As far as the choices and quality, no I didn't feel that it was as good as on my Majesty cruise last year. Also to let you know they are no longer putting chocolates on your bed at turn down any more except for Jr. Suites and above. I asked Cindy the loyalty Amb. and she said that it was due to a cost cutting measure. :(

As you can see I was on the 9/7/08 sailing of Freedom. Yes there is offered on the MDR menu every night a Chop's steak for $14.95. On one night I think it was Saturday, one of the free alternative choices was the Black Angus sirloin. I do think that if asked for you could probably have gotten it. I know one of our tablemates got shrimp cocktail every night & no it was not on the menu every night either. As far as the choices and quality, no I didn't feel that it was as good as on my Majesty cruise last year. Also to let you know they are no longer putting chocolates on your bed at turn down any more except for Jr. Suites and above. I asked Cindy the loyalty Amb. and she said that it was due to a cost cutting measure. :(

What!!!! And this is the first that we have heard of chocolate pinching by RCI????? :eek: Are there no depths to which this company will not sink? :mad: I will put up with a lot of crap but don't mess with my chocolate.... :D :D

I think we need a new thread however. Chocolate is important enough to be dealt with all by itself. Plus think about the class warfare this will start. Are you one of the chocolate cruisers or one of the "others"..... I can see the "name dropping" at the bars now, "Those chocolates my cabin steward leaves me are soooo lovely..... What? You don't get chocolates. How sad for you...."

What!!!! And this is the first that we have heard of chocolate pinching by RCI????? :eek: Are there no depths to which this company will not sink? :mad: I will put up with a lot of crap but don't mess with my chocolate.... :D :D

I think we need a new thread however. Chocolate is important enough to be dealt with all by itself. Plus think about the class warfare this will start. Are you one of the chocolate cruisers or one of the "others"..... I can see the "name dropping" at the bars now, "Those chocolates my cabin stewart leaves me are soooo lovely..... What? You don't get chocolates. How sad for you...."

How silly!! C'mon, don't you see what this REALLY is? Well, you-know-who will be here in short order to tell us!!

Meanwhile, let's try on the magic KoolAid beanie, twirl the propellor and see if we can map out their response:

1. "This is an enhancement ... a nice new "choice," namely the choice of not getting chocolates at night!!! "

2. "This is what you wanted, so why are you complaining?"

(It's true: RCL has gotten buckets of comment cards demanding an end to those #%^& nightly chocolates.)

3. "Royal Caribbean is a business, you know, not a soup kitchen! If you want chocolate, go pay for it!"

4. "Hey, let's not overlook the all-important issue here: Freedom. Yes, some people think removing the chocolates is taking away a valuable amenity ... but RCL is really standing up for freedom!! And if you'd prefer some cheap chocolate to freedom, well you know that that makes you!!"

5. "Besides, only union organizers and government workers want chocolate anyway!!"

Maybe now the KoolAid Krewe won't feel obligated to post here!! :D

(well, we can hope, can't we!!) :rolleyes:

Say "No" to Fain

Not so! Whether or not you choose to believe it, the sirloin steak is NOT available in the MDR on Freedom. How many times and by how many people does that have to be confirmed to you before you accept that fact? Talk about a horse with blinders - get real.

Ummmmmmmm yes it is available. I was on the 8/31 sailing and had the steak 3 times during the week. When it did not see it on the menu I asked about it and received it. Very simple. :rolleyes: I did not however order the $14.95 steak in the main dining room. I did however have the filet in Chops. Excellent as always.:D

Ummmmmmmm yes it is available. I was on the 8/31 sailing and had the steak 3 times during the week. When it did not see it on the menu I asked about it and received it. Very simple. :rolleyes: I did not however order the $14.95 steak in the main dining room. I did however have the filet in Chops. Excellent as always.:D

It seems that here is a gentleman that is speaking from experience. Just because the alternative steak is not mentioned on the menu........a seasoned Royal Caribbean traveler was smart enough to ask for it......and it appears that he indeed received it. :)

So.....for the trumpeting fellow from Connetiket that seems to love to blow it out his.....:eek: ......without even having been on a Royal Caribbean cruise for the past 2 years...........and seems to have none booked......here is a "true cruiser" that understands the system, and had what he wanted, free of charge, without ruffling any feathers!

So........EFC..........why don't you try to pitch how a seasoned cruiser could get around having to pay for enjoying a steak. Let the newbies to RCCL know that it's still free!! :D :D Just a thought!

Rick

NO CHOCOLATE///??????

SERIOUSLY????

How cheap can they get?:mad:

Time for some w.a.g. math.

Let's say each chocolate costs a half-cent at RCL's super-wholesale rate. Figure they distribute 2,800 per night on Freedom ... so by cutting them out, that's $14 a night RCL can save! (Practically enough for Fain to buy one of his $14.95 steaks!!)

Of course, you multiply that out by the full fleet, and you could be in the ballpark of 44,000 chocolates a night. Thats $220!

Now let's guesstimate the fleet averages 350 nights a year (leave a little time for drydocks); the chocolate bill is now $77,000 annually.

(Of course, if the chocolates really cost RCL 6 cents a piece, the total expense would be more like $2,640 a night. Fleetwide, that would run $924,000 a year). :eek:

Does taking away our night-time chocolates to save $924,000 seem like a worthwhile savings? Well ... maybe on paper.

But remember, gang, that this math works BOTH WAYS: If passengers buy just one less soda and a couple fewer bingo cards each day, they could ding RCL for 50 cents a night (maybe a lot more, but let's work with 50).

With 44,000 passengers, that's $22,000 a night ... or $7.7 million a year. :eek: :eek:

So yes, RCL can clip us collectively for maybe $1,700 a night by taking away our night time chocolates. But if enough passengers fight back, RCL's nickle-and-dime "trial" will turn out to be costlier than investing in AIG. :D

Say "No" to Fain

It seems that here is a gentleman that is speaking from experience. Just because the alternative steak is not mentioned on the menu........a seasoned Royal Caribbean traveler was smart enough to ask for it......and it appears that he indeed received it.

We'll wait for a few more reports, thanks.

Let the newbies to RCCL know that it's still free!! Just a thought!

RCL can do that easily enough ... by putting it back on the menu! :D :D

Say "No" to Fain

Time for some w.a.g. math.

Let's say each chocolate costs a half-cent at RCL's super-wholesale rate. Figure they distribute 2,800 per night on Freedom ... so by cutting them out, that's $14 a night RCL can save! (Practically enough for Fain to buy one of his $14.95 steaks!!)

Of course, you multiply that out by the full fleet, and you could be in the ballpark of 44,000 chocolates a night. Thats $220!

Now let's guesstimate the fleet averages 350 nights a year (leave a little time for drydocks); the chocolate bill is now $77,000 annually.

(Of course, if the chocolates really cost RCL 6 cents a piece, the total expense would be more like $2,640 a night. Fleetwide, that would run $924,000 a year). :eek:

Does taking away our night-time chocolates to save $924,000 seem like a worthwhile savings? Well ... maybe on paper.

But remember, gang, that this math works BOTH WAYS: If passengers buy just one less soda and a couple fewer bingo cards each day, they could ding RCL for 50 cents a night (maybe a lot more, but let's work with 50).

With 44,000 passengers, that's $22,000 a night ... or $7.7 million a year. :eek: :eek:

So yes, RCL can clip us collectively for maybe $1,700 a night by taking away our night time chocolates. But if enough passengers fight back, RCL's nickle-and-dime "trial" will turn out to be costlier than investing in AIG. :D

Say "No" to Fain

Hopefully this cutback will backfire on RCI as well. If I had a choice, I would rather give up the chocolates and have RCI stop charging in the MDR.

So recent cruisers tell us of $4.95 for fresh-squeezed orange juice, the vanishing steak, the disappearing chocolates, the new fruit drink charge ... and now the question has been posed, "How cheap can they get?"

For an answer, let's get a glimpse inside the boardroom on Caribbean Way, where Fain & Friends just might be looking over the next-generation "experimental" menu.

(As the KoolAiders would grunt, "If ya don't like it, go to Chops." Bon appetit)

Freshly unwrapped breads

“Celebration of Wonder slices”

Panera rolls (15-cent surcharge)

Appetizers

Seafood fantasia

Premium Pacific tuna with onion gratings, carmelized pretzels and herbs

($1.35 surcharge)

Hunt’s Tuscan consomme

Vibrant vinegar-tinged soup swirled with tomato paste

Olive gazpacho

Chilled soup garnished with chopped iceberg lettuce

Entrees

Royal fillet of liverwurst

Delicately spiced liver sausage finished with gherkin shavings

Mackerel Melange

Peanut-encrusted and pan fried, topped with creamy sauce ala Hellman

($6.35 surcharge)

Spam kebab

Wok sautéed with imported Arby’s sauce, escalloped boiled potatoes, served atop a sunburst of freshly thawed carrots ($5.85 surcharge, and 10-cent per carrot fee)

Manwich l’orange

Enrobed with seared pinto beans, drizzled with a dark tan sauce

Dessert

Jell-O Jubilee ($1.15 surcharge)

Entenmann Royale

assortment of Little Debbie petit fours

Say "No" to Fain

OH NO! I never thought that someone could "quote" my empty box - and figure out what I really typed! Good thing it was "nice" TW that was posting and not "naughty" TW......:eek: :D

Ahhh:eek: come on now, you can not tell me you haven't figured out the obvious, USE A BLACK LIGHT! to see it:D

No matter how you slice it (pun intended!), the previously offered always available no-charge steak alternative has, in fact, been removed from the menu and has been replaced with the $14.95 up-charge Chops steak alternative. That's a given that some of us have seen firsthand on FOS and you confirm. That you were able to ask for steak three times during your cruise means only that special requests may be honored, but that doesn't do anything to change the fact that the free alternative steak is no longer being "offered." Since removal of steak from the nightly menu is clearly a cost-cutting measure, I wouldn't be at all surprised if special requests for steak go the way of the wind as well, should the number of people making such a request become excessive.

Archived