Cruising 10 years from now

Excellent ... I wont have to pay for my kids to come along any more.;) I can take longer cruises and start doing the itineraries on my wish list. TA - Hawaii - Panama Canal - Med .....

I dont think thats what you were asking though.

To answer your question, I see bigger ships that hold more people with charges for a lot of extras on board. I also see even more home ports than we have now since there will be more ships. I hope that as the cruise industry gets bigger and bigger they do get a bit more original on itineries and ports of call.

Excellent ... I wont have to pay for my kids to come along any more.;) I can take longer cruises and start doing the itineraries on my wish list. TA - Hawaii - Panama Canal - Med .....

To answer your question, I see bigger ships that hold more people with charges for a lot of extras on board. I also see even more home ports than we have now since there will be more ships. I hope that as the cruise industry gets bigger and bigger they do get a bit more original on itineries and ports of call.

Ditto on the cruising w/out kids!

I agree with your entire post ;)

I would like to hear your opinion how a cruise vacation will be 10 years from now!

Vacation is the key word. I am assuming you are referring to RCI only?

In 10 years the Vision Class will be gone as well and RCI has begun to dismantle the Radiance Class. RCI will be solely focused on theme park like cruises (either in its current configuration under RCCL or in Mickey A's hands).

RCI will leave the cruise market and will become resort style floaters only.

I too 100% agree with you, I fully intend to do a World cruise and take lots of longer cruises, no kids to pay for or take lots more time to do it all in!

I realise thats not what you were asking! I think that Royal Caribbean and other cruise lines will continue building bigger and bigger ships until one goes down in a quite catastrophic situation then all the major lines will revert to smaller and more intimate ships.

Vacation is the key word. I am assuming you are referring to RCI only?

In 10 years the Vision Class will be gone as well and RCI has begun to dismantle the Radiance Class. RCI will be solely focused on theme park like cruises (either in its current configuration under RCCL or in Mickey A's hands).

RCI will leave the cruise market and will become resort style floaters only.

I like that, "resort style *floaters*"..... (I so agree with that)

On a personal note: In 10 years I also will be cruising A LOT more because I wont be paying for my kids!! Yeah for when that happens...:D Although we will cruise small ships, nothing bigger than a voyager class. No need.

I too 100% agree with you, I fully intend to do a World cruise and take lots of longer cruises, no kids to pay for or take lots more time to do it all in!

I realise thats not what you were asking! I think that Royal Caribbean and other cruise lines will continue building bigger and bigger ships until one goes down in a quite catastrophic situation then all the major lines will revert to smaller and more intimate ships.

I think design is so advanced that will probably never happen, but it has crossed my mind as well.

Cuba will have agreed to turn to an economy that big business can exploit, so Havana and other Cuban ports will be open. And RCCI's Teramegagoliath of the Seas will be so large that pax will be able to sagway from Key West to Cuba on deck. The T-Meg class of ships (at 40,000 sqare miles) will pass up Iceland to become the 18th, 19th, and 20th largest islands in the world.

The fuel surcharge will be joined by a towel surcharge as well as a stairthread surcharge. Alchol and other beverages will be free, but in addition to being charged for the glass rental, you will need to prove your sobriety in order to be released from the restraints binding you to your barstool. All drink "accessories" - olives, cherries, swizzle sticks, paper umbrellas, etc. - are extra.

Children (25YO and younger) will be required to be leashed and muzzled at all times. Children under 3 feet tall will need to be duct taped to a parent at all times when on-board.

In trying to keep up with NCL's latest adversting claim - anytime dining will be exapanded. All dining rooms will be open 24/7 and will be subdivided to accommodate ALL preferences (just think you'll be able to go to the matre'd and request your table: "I'd like a table for 2.75 people, in the non-drinking, lactose-free area; with formal dress; where all occupants on ajacent tables are exactly 5'7" tall and of German/Gaelic decent; and where the waiters will not burst into song please!")

I honestly do hope in 10 years time, some new smaller ships will be released as well. Not every port can handle the monsters of the seas and there are a lot of places to visit and explore.

I have done Freedom and am happy with nothing bigger than Voyager Class. I would like to walk on board Oasis, just to see what it looks like but do not want to sail on it.

I don't know about 10 years out, but I foresee in about 5 years (or less!) that the only included food will be the buffet line. Any other meal of any quality will be surcharged--at least, on the "mainstream" lines. I'm pretty sure that the more upscale lines will continue to do the mostly "inclusive" thing.

I'm not refering to Royal Caribbean, but cruising in general

Overall?

Cruise lines like Azamara will build new smaller ships since they will get an influx of 'cruisers' leaving lines like RCI.

I even foresee a couple more smaller lines popping up. In 10 years it will be the cruising niche. Leave the complaining, budget traveler who caries 6 cases of soda, shares soda cards and fills steadily the complaint card out to make sure that the family of 5 with babies in the ages of 6 months, 12 months and 18 months (with two more on the way) will have enough "ship sponsored" OBC, to RCI and the likes. :D

My age group, middle age, kids out of the house, dual income will have a grand time on real cruise lines. RCI will lose most of its loyal following. RCI won't offer 3, 4 and 5 Nighters anymore (Sovereign and Vission Class will be gone) and cruisers will return only once a year, if that.

Smaller lines like Azamara (RCCL) and Seabourne (CCL) will expand in quantity but not ship size. A couple more cruise lines will pop up (i.e. FL_Cruiser Classic Cruising, Inc :D) to catch the disgruntled cruisers from all the mass market and vacationer lines. NCL will have ceased to exist and merged with easycruise (NECL) in a desperate effort to stay afloat.

Here are the details on the new line FCCC, Inc:

- no one under 18 allowed

- no chair hogging

- traditional dining only

- dress code

- constant whiners and complainers are being kicked off (especially those making crap up)

- a good time is a must

- pushing and shoving is not allowed, violaters get the plank

- the more you drink, the less you will be charged :D

Overall?

Cruise lines like Azamara will build new smaller ships since they will get an influx of 'cruisers' leaving lines like RCI.

I even foresee a couple more smaller lines popping up. In 10 years it will be the cruising niche. Leave the complaining, budget traveler who caries 6 cases of soda, shares soda cards and fills steadily the complaint card out to make sure that the family of 5 with babies in the ages of 6 months, 12 months and 18 months (with two more on the way) will have enough "ship sponsored" OBC, to RCI and the likes. :D

My age group, middle age, kids out of the house, dual income will have a grand time on real cruise lines. RCI will lose most of its loyal following. RCI won't offer 3, 4 and 5 Nighters anymore (Sovereign and Vission Class will be gone) and cruisers will return only once a year, if that.

Smaller lines like Azamara (RCCL) and Seabourne (CCL) will expand in quantity but not ship size. A couple more cruise lines will pop up (i.e. FL_Cruiser Classic Cruising, Inc :D) to catch the disgruntled cruisers from all the mass market and vacationer lines. NCL will have ceased to exist and merged with easycruise (NECL) in a desperate effort to stay afloat.

Here are the details on the new line FCCC, Inc:

- no one under 18 allowed

- no chair hogging

- traditional dining only

- dress code

- constant whiners and complainers are being kicked off (especially those making crap up)

- a good time is a must

- pushing and shoving is not allowed, violaters get the plank

- the more you drink, the less you will be charged :D

I agree with most of this.........:D

I agree with those that say there will be more surcharges for things that are included today and that smaller cruise lines and smaller ships will start popping up to service those that will pay more to be more than a number.

I also see a "Floating Condo" trend where people opt to live on some of these ships in their retirement years.

Novice point of view:

I don't see a lot more of the super mega ships being built because I'm thinking the economy is not going to rebound fast enough to support such.

The big ships will be catering to the masses which like the buffets, but there will still be sit down dining. The food will change to be more like what you see in the mass market though (Applebees, 99, Chili's, and etc.) In fact, you might even see chain restaurants taking part of the dining experience for an additional charge, eg: Johnny Rockets.

The smaller ships will become part of something like Azamara branch offs from major lines that will support the type of cruiser who doesn't belong in the mass market cruise. With formal dining, less families, and more remote schedules of port.

Just my thought. Economy will dictate and if it stays as such, it will demand action by the companies to make the cruises fit the majority of cruisers.

As tourism activities around the world grow to include more and more varied offerings, the idea of space tourism - members of the public making trips to and from low Earth orbit and beyond - has started to be recognised as a serious possibility. For example, at the October 1997 general assembly of the World Tourism Organization, a report entitled "Tourism 2020 Vision" identified the advent of near-space tourism as one of the trends that will shape the tourism industry in the 21st century.

from

http://www.spacefuture.com/archive/space_hotels_the_cruise_ship_analogy.shtml

I think design is so advanced that will probably never happen, but it has crossed my mind as well.

Maybe so, but ships have always gone down now and again. Remember Santorini some time back.....old ship, but it does happen.

Like you, it crosses my mind now and again especially when I think of how chaotic and wild passengers will be. Come to think of it, I just described lunch time at the Windjammer!:rolleyes:

Archived