Is Celebrity Charging for Steaks

Brad1185

Just say no, to all extra charges. It's getting to be the same as the airline. The actual price of the cruise means nothing, not with taxes, fees, surcharges, extra charge in the specialty restaurants, etc.

To the cruise industry: Charge a fair price, list the full price, and cut all of the ala carte garbage.

If there is a need for another line of ships for all of the people who aren't satisfied with the main dining room, etc, then create it, but don't serve us this class system on each individual ship and then say everyone is treated the same.

I started cruising because everyone onboard was treated the same (in general), and because it was one price (a price you could figure out without a calculator) for everything.

Not anymore, and that doesn't even include the frustration of flying.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Both Azamara and Oceania (More Azamara) treat their passengers equally. It's also far more difficult to have a "class system" when doing the "Country Club Casual" scene, as polo shirts and slacks are hard to tell whether they cost 20$ or 150$, same with blouses and pants/skirts etc. BUT having to put on Formal wear...it's very easy to tell Couture from JC Penny's Outlet "Mother of the bride" or "summer formal" garb. It becomes glaringly obvious where your income level lies. While on Quest last winter we had Cruise Critic people in every category cabin available, and never noticed any difference in treatment by crew or other passengers! Now all the specialty Restaurants are free except for...on Aza. a small tip charge, no limit ..I believe on Oceania there is a limit to how many days you can book for sure...but sometimes can get more if openings occur... There is no Concierge,on Aza, All have same CC amenities (except suites get a little more)

I believe many do NOT want equal treatment...those who LOVE the Concierge lounges some lines have (no need to brush shoulders with the Hoi Poloi) Really like having special advantages over the folks in "steerage" (to use an old term) like on the Cunard ships.

We too avoid many charges...as we rarely drink any alcoholic beverages...make due with the free lemonade, Tea and coffee etc. and do without the soda and expensive coffee specialties! My main bill onboard charge is Tips...and sometimes tours, but have been working away from these with much less expensive private tours (Yes they ARE less expensive usually, and better) set up beforehand.We would do our laundry too if we could! How anybody can work up $1,000's ship account bills is beyond me! Our trip is an expense that we find hard enough to pay without these extras~ but we still have the trips...and see the world. For this I thank the Cruiselines. IF handled right it's still one of the cheapest , and easiest way to do this.:)

Just say no, to all extra charges. It's getting to be the same as the airline. The actual price of the cruise means nothing, not with taxes, fees, surcharges, extra charge in the specialty restaurants, etc.

To the cruise industry: Charge a fair price, list the full price, and cut all of the ala carte garbage.

Bob

I agree 100%. IF RCI starts this policy fleet wide, it WILL be the end for me with RCI. The whole point of the main dining room is all the food is free. Its absolutely stupid to ask passengers to pay more for a special steak. If I wanted to do that, I would just go to Chops!

I agree 100%. IF RCI starts this policy fleet wide, it WILL be the end for me with RCI. The whole point of the main dining room is all the food is free. Its absolutely stupid to ask passengers to pay more for a special steak. If I wanted to do that, I would just go to Chops!

Well well said. I could not agree more with your statement.

It appears that the cruise lines today are in a dilemma. On one hand they have been keeping their prices relatively low, compared to what they were at one time, to keep existing passengers happy, while attracting new ones. Yet, to keep the price of a cruise at a reasonable rate, it is necessary for them to charge extra for a number of things that were previously included in the price which annoys other passengers.

In my opinion, the cruise lines should consider doing what some hotels do to deal with this problem, which is to offer its passengers a choice of an all inclusive plan or an a la carte one. To minimize confusion on the ship each plan could have a different color for its sea pass so the crew/staff will know whether or not to charge a passenger for extras.

Thats what is happening now on RCI, there is no alternative steak option unless you want to pay $14.95.

Isn't the key word here "alternative"? If I wanted the highest quality food, I would go on a higher quality ship. Thats just me though.

To some extent you already have benefits from not being all inclusive for us non drinkers, because we don't have to pay a great deal extra to supply "free" booze to other passengers! This has always been a sore point for me...people wanting their expensive drinks to be part of the general fare. That would put the price very high (look at the present all inclusive cruises) To have the choice that would be the best of all worlds...but very hard to regulate I think:confused:

Archived