Porttime site shutting down

Susan-M

I just read a post on the Med forum that http://www.porttime.com/ is shutting down in a few days, per the announcement on their site. It doesn't say exactly when, but if you are looking for info from the site, better do it now.

Unfortunate news because it was a great site.:o

That is horrible news! I used to use this site often. It would be a rgeat feature for Cruise Critic, I think. Maybe they can swoop in and take it over?

Here's hoping!

WOW! I never knew this site existed, which is sad because I just spent 10 minutes farting around on it. What a great wealth of info. Sad to see it go.

I agree, what a good site, have used it many times over the years. Maybe cruise critic could buy the rights...

It's not really all that difficult to replicate. You need tables of cruise lines, ships, and ports, as well as a join table between ships and ports. It might even be possible to scrape the updates off of cruise line or TA sites. The time-consuming part is the tedious data entry of which ships will be in what ports on which days. Even if you did scrape, you'd need to have some sort of translation table (ie, "Cozumel, Mex." on carnival.com, "Cozumel, Mexico" on celebrity.com, and "Mexico--Cozumel" on princess.com are all equal to the same thing), so gathering the raw data would be the challenge.

And yes, web development of data-driven applications is what I do all day. :) When I saw the site was shutting down, I considered what it would take to replicate it.

~~CruiseReportdotcom~~

I just checked to see what ships were in port with us and found good info.

Thank you. That site seems to have the info as well, albeit with a little more searching needed (linked on left side of page, Ports of Call list, "View 1000's Of Ports!") than on porttime or that other site that now charges.

Archived