New cruiser question about upgrades

UKCruiser_2008

I am a little confused about how the upgrades work. Here is my situation:

I booked an 8A guarantee cabin a couple of months ago for our cruise in late November.

I checked the website a few days ago and there is an offer: if you book an 8A cabin, you will get a free upgrade to 8B, if you pay for 8B you will get a free upgrade to 8C etc.

Now ... am I entitled to an upgrade too, eventhough I only paid for a guarantee cabin? Is it worth asking Carnival if I can be upgraded?

Or shall I just wait to see what cabin we end up with? :confused:

Doesn't cost anything to ask, but these promotions are USUALLY for NEW BOOKINGS ONLY. You may do better if you just wait it out and see what they assign you. The unwritten rule is "book the lowest guarantee you will be happy with" or book an assigned room.

I booked an 8A guarantee cabin a couple of months ago for our cruise in late November.

I checked the website a few days ago and there is an offer: if you book an 8A cabin, you will get a free upgrade to 8B, if you pay for 8B you will get a free upgrade to 8C etc.

Now ... am I entitled to an upgrade too, eventhough I only paid for a guarantee cabin? Is it worth asking Carnival if I can be upgraded?

Welcome to your new addiction! lol!

I think you should call your TA and advise them of the upgrade. Ask if you can participate in the current promotion advertised.

Sometimes this only applies to past cruisers but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Call & request the upgrade, then let us know what happened. I'm curious now. lol!

P.S. I'm booked for Dec. 1st.

Yesterday I saw an advertisement on a competitors website of a price drop of $50/pp so I called to inquire.

They offered me 2 options: Either keep my aft cabin & get $50/pp credit or upgrade 2 decks higher. I definitely want my aft cabin & the $100 credit!

Ask & you just might be surprised!

Good luck & Happy Crusin'!!!

Bon Voyage!:p

It always pay's to keep checking. Give them a call. I would

Is the 8A price the same as what you paid? If so, you may be entitled to the upgrade...but if it were me, I would wait...you may get a nicer upgrade than an 8B if they are running this promo

that was my first thought, the price may now be higher than what the OP paid, if so OP is out of luck unless she wants to pay the difference. fuel surcharge also may have gone up she would also have to pay the difference.

UK Cruiser - You booked a Guarantee - that's totally different booking than the Upgrade offer (which is a booking for specific Category and specific room). You would have to cancel the guarantee Booking and book the Upgrade offer, which will probably involve some fees and if you originally booked at lower fuel surcharge, you'll be charged the curtrent higher fuel surcharge. Having said all that, it can't hurt to call and ask "what would it take to switch my Guarantee tothis new offer" and see what they say!!!! ken

UK Cruiser - You booked a Guarantee - that's totally different booking than the Upgrade offer (which is a booking for specific Category and specific room). You would have to cancel the guarantee Booking and book the Upgrade offer, which will probably involve some fees and if you originally booked at lower fuel surcharge, you'll be charged the curtrent higher fuel surcharge. Having said all that, it can't hurt to call and ask "what would it take to switch my Guarantee tothis new offer" and see what they say!!!! ken

Well the thing is, I booked on the British Carnival website - they are not even offering balcony rooms there any more and are charging MORE for an oceanview room than I paid for the balcony room!

So I think I will just keep quiet and see what happens. It looks like they offered too low a price for the balcony rooms and everyone went for them - now they are only left with the suites and the oceanview/inside cabins.

Anyway, I am happy with whatever cabin we do end up with - it will be an exciting experience for us whatever we end up with as we have never been on a cruise before. I'll asume we will get the 8A cabin over the disco or aft ... then anything better will be a nice surprise :D

Thanks for all the expert advice!

Archived