From Harwich - which is easier/quicker to get to Gatwick or Heathrow?

AM Cruiser

If you were driving from the airport, I think Gatwick would be closer. Gatwick is south of London and Heathrow is west of London.

Both airports have trains that will go into London. There is a direct train to Victoria Stn. The trains to Harwich all leave from Liverpool Street Stn.

Perhaps others might have more precise info.

For train information you could try http://www.thetrainline.com which can give routes and prices or even http://www.deutschebahn.de which although it is German Railways home site does excellent rail itineraries throughout Europe.

I would suggest you go by train or coach (http://www.nationalexpress.com) rather than drive and pay one-way drop off charges and go grey overnight having experienced the M25!

Just for grins I asked Google maps for its preferred auto route. The provided directions suggest a travel time of 2:01 from Gatwick and 2:10 from Heathrow.

I would think Gatwick to Harwich might be subject to fewer delays in general as you have no need to get close to Central London by driving the M25.

If you're not getting a direct Transatlantic flight (or if American or someone reinstate their schedules) Stansted Airport is by far the most convenient London airport for Harwich, about half the distance or less than Gatwick or Stansted and you venture nowhere near London.

You could even do it easly by public train getting the hourly train to Colchester, then the Stansted airport bus.

The unpredicatability of journeys around London using the M25 and the extra cost v Stansted means it might even be worth studying get a cheap Ryanair or easyJet flight from Stansted to somewhere like Dublin or Amsterdam and getting your North American flight from there

• 4 weeks later...

six of one and half a dozen of the other, I'd say. With baggage, it's an onerous journey, either way.

People considering Harwich as their cruise port and who are also using one of London's airport should be ware there is no neat way to do the transfer by public transport. You might be better off to take the hit and use the cruise line's transfer bus

Archived