Live from the Hilton Miami Downtown.. ask all your questions here!

syndyj

I am currently staying at the Hilton Miami Downtown. I won this hotel for $55.00 on priceline and ever since had been scouring the internet for reviews and photos with little success.

Since I am going to be here until Monday and I know that others have also won on priceline and all they have to go by are the reviews on TRIPADVISOR (like me) if you have any questions or concerns ask away!

My mini review so far:

The reviews on tripadvisor are pretty horrible for this hotel and I really was not expecting much based on that alone. Last year we stayed at the Intercontinental (again won on priceline) and I am going to compare Hilton to that experinece though the Intercontinental is rated as a 4 star and the Hilton a 3 star.

Upon my arrival at the Hilton I was plesantly surprised that it is nothing close to being a "dump". The hotel looks like an older building from the outside, compared to the Intercontinental (IC) however it is a solid 3 star hotel, and reminds me of a Courtyard by Marriott.

The lower Lobby area is where the car park is located, gas fumes abound in this area outside, as cars are always coming in and out.

You enter the lower lobby and take the elevator to the upper lobby and then take another elevator to the rooms. There are 4 elevators, and so far no problems in getting elevators or with them working; they are all working fine.

The lobby is nice, in keeping with the star rating of the hotel;do not expect marble all over and you can see that this is not a brand new building in some areas. There is a bar area off the lobby and a restaurant. Also you can get free wifi access if you have your laptop or there are computers in the lobby for free internet useage or you can get internet access at the business center.The pool is also located on this floor. Yesterday evening there was coplimentary apples, water and coffee set up for guests in the lobby (close to the elevators).

DSCN3078.jpg

DSCN3084.jpg

Now on to the room; it looks just like a Courtyard by Marriot. We have two double beds with nice new bedding also new carpets, drapes, furniture and the room itself is spacious. There is a dresser with TV, desk and two chairs. The bathroom however is small but CLEAN and everything works as it should. The only caveat is NO IN ROOM SAFE. You can get a safety deposit box at reception for your valuables. There is a iron and ironing board.

DSCN3039.jpg

DSCN3042.jpg

My room is on a high floor with floor to ceiling windows on one wall that affords you a view to the port! Pretty cool. You can even see the meteromover at the Omni station next to the Miami Herald Building.

DSCN3050.jpg

DSCN3037.jpg

Location wise the IC is pretty well located for downtown,bayside and the port, but the Hilton is only a metermover ride away from all those things! The Omni station and bus depot is on the next corner from the Hilton. Presently they are doing construction next door so there is no sidewalk so to be safe you have to cross the street, walk two minutes to the corner then cross again.

The meteromover does the outer loop and takes you directly to the stop by the IC hotel in Bayside; you just get out, go down the stairs, cross the street and walk to Bayside. If you stop there and decide to go downtown there is a Walgreens, Ross Dress for Less and Marshalls right by that stop as well.

If you want to do the inner loop or connect to the meterorail the metermover from the Omni also stops at the Government Station. It is all pretty easy to understand as all the stops are marked and you can pick up a map from the hotel. Just remember the Omni station is your stop for the Hilton. At the bus depot right there by the Omni station you can get buses to all over, including South Beach, which I will be trying out on Sunday. At night everyone advises if you are going out use a taxi.

The surrounding location of the Hilton is not bad, I had read that it was populated with homeless people and was expecting a run down looking, tatty area. There is some construction going on, but for the most part it isn't , to me,undesirable surroundings. I have not had time to explore what is in the immediate vicinity to the hotel but I have spotted a Burger King and another fast food restaurant opposite the hotel.

Today we are taking the Sawgrass Express to that mall and the concierge at the hotel can advise on shuttle services to other malls etc. My trip is prmarily for shopping since I do not live in the U.S., no cruise this time!

So if you have any specific Hilton related questions you want answered, just let me know and I will try to get as much information as possible while I am here.

Just stayed at this hotel also the end of Aug. We had a room with a king size bed and a sofa that opened to sofa bed. Also high up with a great view. Got this room for about $89, not on priceline, but a prepaid rate. We also took the people mover to Bayside. Did have to pay $29 to park the car for the night in the parking garage. I would definitely stay there again.

To answer the question on two beds, the room was assigned when we checked in. They specifically asked if we wanted a room with two beds on a high floor and they had the information that we booked through priceline. Not only that, I had called prior to arrival and they had a note that I had called as well.

The staff at the Hilton have all been very courteous I must say!

The metero mover is not for everyone, it is free and lots of characters get on ... and off!!

If you are interested in going to the malls, the shuttle to Sawgrass is $25.00 return and picks up at about 8:45 at the Hilton and leaves Sawgrass at 6:00pm.

Today we are taking the shuttle to Dolphin Mall, it also picks up/returns at the Hilton.

There is also a Target you can get to by bus; I know as cruisers you may be looking for places to pick up some last minute items.

Breakfast is not included in the priceline rate but the hotel does serve breakfast Continental @ $11.00 and Full Breakfast @ $15.00 (add 18% gratuity to the price!)

Is there a place to park the car while checking in that doesn't require a parking fee? I intend on returning the car and I don't know if I can get us checked in first and then return it or should I drop the others off at the hotel and head on down to Avis to return the car. It would be nice to get checked in first and then return it.

I am curious, why was this hotel given a bad review? The area is not the best, but I knew the hotel by reputation to be fine.

That's the problem with a review..it's only one person's opinion. Many of the hotels or restaurants that I've seen "busted" on here IMO are perfectly fine, and I'd stay at them in a heartbeat, whereas some of the ones I'd recommend people would think I'm nuts. Same as restaurants. There is one well known poster from my area, I wouldn't be caught dead at most of the places she recommends to eat or stay because I can think of ones that are by far superior (but only in my opinion)

Your pictures and review were very refreshing to read. I'm glad someone gave Miami a chance instead of jumping to a negative conclusion based on someone else's opinon.

Is there a place to park the car while checking in that doesn't require a parking fee? I intend on returning the car and I don't know if I can get us checked in first and then return it or should I drop the others off at the hotel and head on down to Avis to return the car. It would be nice to get checked in first and then return it.

not sure about there, but MOST places will have somewhere for you to park for 15 minutes to check in...........

Hi..

Thanx for taking the time to post review and pics for us. I too had read some of the reviews on TA and is good to have someone who is actually there right now talking about it.

Love your view. Hopefully we will get a room like that:D .

Do you know if there is a drugstore like CVS or Walgreens close by? How far is the Target?

Thanx again

Kim:)

Jyllie there really is no where to park at the hotel that does not require a fee; if you choose to park at the hotel's garage it is $6.00 per hour. However, I am thinking that you may be able to park temporarily at the Burger King across the street, will investigate that option further when I get out today.

Target locations from the hotel:

Target 1

This is Target Miami Midtown at location A, the Hilton is at location B; midtown also has some other shops you can check out what else is there at their website here.

target1.jpg

Target 2

The hotel is at A, Target at B

target2.jpg

Walgreens

And Walgreens which is located downtown, very close to where the Metro Mover stops at the IC Hotel Bayside; the hotel is at A and Walgreens at B.

walgreens.jpg

View today:

DSCN3160.jpg

And some more hotel pics:

DSCN3147.jpg

Upper Lobby

DSCN3154.jpg

Motor Lobby, ground level.

DSCN3159.jpg

Patio

DSCN3144.jpg

Pool, you can see the construction taking place in the background:

DSCN3142.jpg

I have to say that the two sets of elevators to get to the room gets tiring after a LONG day when you just want to get to your room without having to switch elevators through the lobby.

There is also an organized shuttle service to the Port, yesterday there were two large ones taking cruisers to the port for both Carnival and Royal Caribbean; the shuttle is $5.00 per person.

Some people chose to take a taxi instead as they think it would be faster than waiting on the shuttle, or just wanted to get to the port without a group. Taxis are $12.00 to $15.00 to the Port from the hotel.

The taxi from the airport by the way cost $25.00!

Syndyj....

Just wanted to thank you. You have been awesome with your information and pics.

Can't wait till we get there in about 3 weeks.

Thank you for the info on Target and Walgreens. Looks like Walgreens is kind of near Bayside so would be easy to get to with public transportation.

Is the pool a rooftop pool?? It looks high up because of the buildings in the background..

Again thanx sooooo much!!!!!:)

Kim:)

Thanks Jman! I checked out yesterday so had no time to respond.

On Sunday the elevators were very busy and one of the hotel employees was in the elevator on a walkie talkie communicating with someone about floors to stop at to pick up people. He then pushed the buttons to pick up guests on different floors so I think they are aware of the issues that arise when the hotel is busy.

Overall I had a good stay,I would prefer the Intercontinental if I cruise out of Miami again for the location; however the Hilton was great for the price and getting around was not that difficult!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived