Money

IMAPUMAGIRL

My American Express and Visa get a real work out when we are in ports.

AE is not as accepted as VISA. Some of the smaller ports prefer cash, but since the dollar is "down" the local currency is preferred.

I do not recommend exchanging dollars for local currency unless you have a way to dispose of your "change". You can always use the left over local currency to give to the ship's personnel in tips. Since they are in these ports every week or so, they can really use the money.

Just something to think about.

Bon Voyage to all!

For small purchases or "straw market" items, we use cash--small bills (you don't want "local" currency as change!!! Don't buy a $3.00 item with a hundred dollar bill!!!)

For larger purchases in "real" stores, a credit card (MC/VISA) is your best bet.

I use cash and only in small bills. I had a lot of one dollar bills so that I can give them exact cash so that I wouldn't have to get any change back. Most of the places in port had signs that tell you exactly how much to pay in American money.

• 3 months later...
My American Express and Visa get a real work out when we are in ports.

AE is not as accepted as VISA. Some of the smaller ports prefer cash, but since the dollar is "down" the local currency is preferred.

I do not recommend exchanging dollars for local currency unless you have a way to dispose of your "change". You can always use the left over local currency to give to the ship's personnel in tips. Since they are in these ports every week or so, they can really use the money.

Just something to think about.

Bon Voyage to all!

I NEVER use credit cards-too many horror stories of stolen numbers form shady dealers in the Carribbean.

As far as buying big ticket items- (like jewelry and crystal)I have never seen anything that I could not buy at a better price and better quality at home-NO temptation for me. Not in the Caribbean-in Eruope yes-but not the Caribbean.

as others said-bring cash in small bills for the straw markets

We usually pay cash for small trinkets while on the islands. We put any meals and jewelry on our RCCL Visa card! More points!!!

Most major credit cards are accepted at the stores and hotels. Local markets and small souvenir stands might not accept anything other than cash.

Here is to hoping the Dollar can make some sort of recovery before our next cruise!

We have one credit card that we use for online purchases and travel. That way if it's compromised and has to be closed it won't cause us major problems. Also my DH and I each carry different cards although we only use the one main card. If that one is lost or stolen, and it has to be cancelled we still have one for backup. If you're both carrying the same card, and it's lost then you're without a credit card.

We have one credit card that we use for online purchases and travel. That way if it's compromised and has to be closed it won't cause us major problems. Also my DH and I each carry different cards although we only use the one main card. If that one is lost or stolen, and it has to be cancelled we still have one for backup. If you're both carrying the same card, and it's lost then you're without a credit card.

Good point and great advice.

Cold hard cash for everything, including sign and sail, no bills when you get home! We take a few credit cards in case we decide to rent a car or something else that requires a deposit, but pay in cash.:D

You can never go wrong with cash. You just have to protect yourself when carrying a lot of money around.

Archived