Weird Question: Banana Situation?

Leo Jay

I'm trying to remember if they tend to run out of bananas towards the end of cruises (I'll be on a 7-day), or whether they just tend to have only very ripe ones. Ripe ones are fine, because I'll only be using them for shakes, but if they tend to run out, I maybe should bring a few of my own. Anyone know?

Two out of 4 cruises ran out the last couple of days. I don't think I'd bring any but you could buy a pack of the green bags and take a few extra in the middle of the trip. You might want to hide them too, I had a steward that threw mine away and I wanted to eat them after we got back in from port.

I'm trying to remember if they tend to run out of bananas towards the end of cruises (I'll be on a 7-day), or whether they just tend to have only very ripe ones. Ripe ones are fine, because I'll only be using them for shakes, but if they tend to run out, I maybe should bring a few of my own. Anyone know?

You have got to be kidding............300 threads on smuggling booze and you want to bring your own bananas. Your are right it is weird.

I know but people break rules all of the time and don't get caught... we saw a guy on an excursion with a bag full o' food including bananas:cool: I wish I had the guts to be a rulebreaker!

There is a BIG difference in breaking Carnival's Rules (Liquor/Beer) and breaking the LAW!! Just saying..... grab some extra bananas and tell your room steward to not throw them out!

On my 7-day cruise we did, in fact, run out of bananas. I remember that because my dad got really sick, and that was the only thing he wanted to eat, and there weren't any.

I agree with those who say don't take any fruit on or off the ship, but I think if you know you will want a banana each day you could grab a few extras from the buffet to keep in your room.

You have got to be kidding............300 threads on smuggling booze and you want to bring your own bananas. Your are right it is weird.

Hah, yeah, well, I guess I could just hoard them, but that wouldn't be very nice.

Don't think you are suppose to take fruit on or off the ship.........

Where did you see that? Why would it be any different that the fruit already being loaded on the ship? I've never seen that in the contract or what you can't bring FAQ. Maybe it's somewhere else, but exactly how many places is one supposed to look?

Where did you see that? Why would it be any different that the fruit already being loaded on the ship? I've never seen that in the contract or what you can't bring FAQ. Maybe it's somewhere else, but exactly how many places is one supposed to look?

I am just assuming here.....I know we cannot bring any kind of fruit over the borders here at home.......can't bring any back from Hawaii.......all due to fruit fly problems...........

H

Its always mentioned in the Capers.

You're right, it's a weird question....and the very first I've seen on here about bananas.

Frankly, I've never noticed the banana inventory onboard any ship. Hopefully, if they run out and you get a craving, you can eat a couple on shore.....:p

I think the reason they run out is this...think of the "life cycle" of a banana....it gets loaded on board the ship with the other supplies...maybe it's not so ripe at that point... a couple days later it's ripe, a day or two after that it's brown. So, they run out or they are discarded.

Now if you want an APPLE...that's a more hardier fruit so go for that!

Thank you for allowing me to expand on the banana....now back to cruising!

You are NOT suppose to take any food off the ship in ports. They will make announcements and also spell it out in the Capers. The only things allowed are the manufacturer's prepackaged snack items like crackers, small boxes of cereal, energy bars, etc.

It is the line's policy because fresh fruit/veg/meat can do damage to the island ecological system. You don't want to be guilty of damaging an island's vegetation do you? Of course you don't!

WE are the visitors to these beautiful islands and ports. We should abide by their rules.:)

Besides that, the experience of trying new and different foods on the islands is part of my enjoyment when cruising.

During our cruise in December (Liberty), there were no bananas (or prunes) our last morning. Granted, we didn't ask for either, but, shortly after we were seated for our last breakfast :( , the waiter came over to take our order and told us that they were out of bananas and prunes. We saw bananas outside of the window waiting to be loaded for the next cruise...so we teased the waiter ... telling him that there were bananas (those waiting to be loaded). :D

Not to mention they are pretty rough on them, I see them tossed/dumped/thrown into boxes all the time.

I think the reason they run out is this...think of the "life cycle" of a banana....it gets loaded on board the ship with the other supplies...maybe it's not so ripe at that point... a couple days later it's ripe, a day or two after that it's brown. So, they run out or they are discarded.

Now if you want an APPLE...that's a more hardier fruit so go for that!

Thank you for allowing me to expand on the banana....now back to cruising!

you will probably find better tasting bananas in the ports. Cavendish bananas (like they sell in the stores here) are picked grass green, then gassed - this makes them go yellow. If you can get the "tree ripened" bananas in port ... they will appear pale green, but the sweetness is to die for. You will probably find different species of bananas - I love the Ducasse (sp?) the best, or lady fingers.

Since I have left the "banana growing capital of Australia", I really don't care for them. They are tasteless in my opinion. Now try some of the other tropical fruits: Rambutans, Lychees, Custard Appple, Mangosteens (OMG), papaya (red and yellow), star fruit (mm mm mm!) - not sure if they do it there .. but Durian!:D

Now you want to bring bananas on board???? I think you need to go out of the square!:)

Just to be clear, I would not taking these off the ship. On. And I'm not trying to get away with anything, because obviously it would be much easier (and cheaper) to just take some off the Lido and selfishly stockpile them in my room.

I have checked the FAQ, the Contract, the Prohibited Items list, the What Not To Bring, or whatever other of the multiple places where they would logically make any reference to restrictions on bringing food on the ship, but can't find it. If anyone can point me to it instead of just playing sanctimonious tsk-tsker, I'd appreciate it.

Seriously, though, where on earth did I mention anything about taking food off the ship? Some of you people are certifiable, with the bending over backwards trying to invent insane justification for rolling out your sanctimonious schpiels and chastizing people for "breaking the rules." Seriously. The smoking and liquor threads aren't enough to satisfy your sick little obsessions?

I usually have a three banana shake two times a day. I have allergies and/or sensitivities to gluten and a whole crapload of other normal usually benign foods, and I already have a metabolism like an Olympic swimmer, so it takes a little extra effort to eat as I should and keep weight on. Yeah... well, sorry.

Now, I could easily stockpile bananas in my room the first couple days. That would be the simple thing. You think I didn't THINK of that? No, some of you geniuses think I'm planning to go out and spend my own money and go through the trouble of schlepping bananas on the ship because... I'm trying to get away with something. Are you freaking kidding me with this?

Geez.

Oh, and someone please tell me where to look besides the Contract, the What Not To Bring, the Things You Should Know, the Embarkation Procedures, and the Prohibited Items list. Because I'm sure the prohibition against bringing food on board must be somewhere obvious, but I'm clearly just too stupid to look for it in the logical place.

I thinks someone needs a banana daiquiri:p

Why don't you call and ask..........maybe you can bring them on for your own personal use.......

Then come back and let us know if they let you.....

I just want to make sure I understand correctly, as I'm confused by the tangents some replies have taken.

You want to bring your own bananas on board. Not from a 'foreign port' as a purchase. Like buying them at the grocery store and putting them in your luggage, right?

I would probably just hoard some from the first day or 2. I don't think there is a problem with bringing fruit on board at embarkation, but since you really need them, you don't want to try and have them confiscated.

I think a lot of the drama comes from reading ALL THE TIME about people bringing fruit off the ship, not caring about the environment of the islands we are visiting. Cruise ships are bad enough with all the trash and emissions, why compound the effect on the environment by bringing off food that it clearly states EVERYWHERE not to do?

I also don't think that anyone was even thinking that you were going to bring the bananas off the ship, they were just thinking that it was odd to think about bringing on board in the first place!

you will probably find better tasting bananas in the ports. Cavendish bananas (like they sell in the stores here) are picked grass green, then gassed - this makes them go yellow. If you can get the "tree ripened" bananas in port ... they will appear pale green, but the sweetness is to die for. You will probably find different species of bananas - I love the Ducasse (sp?) the best, or lady fingers.

Since I have left the "banana growing capital of Australia", I really don't care for them. They are tasteless in my opinion. Now try some of the other tropical fruits: Rambutans, Lychees, Custard Appple, Mangosteens (OMG), papaya (red and yellow), star fruit (mm mm mm!) - not sure if they do it there .. but Durian!:D

Now you want to bring bananas on board???? I think you need to go out of the square!:)

They'd be for smoothies. I'm allergic or sensitive to a bunch of stuff including gluten and already have a metabolism (though not the physique) of an Olympic swimmer. A couple of 3-banana shakes a day helps me keep weight on.

I just want to make sure I understand correctly, as I'm confused by the tangents some replies have taken.

You want to bring your own bananas on board. Not from a 'foreign port' as a purchase. Like buying them at the grocery store and putting them in your luggage, right?

Yes, bringing them on at the point of embarkation and using them on the ship. From an ecological standpoint, I don't see why it would be any different from the bananas they're loading on board anyway. Only that I'm stupid enough to try to be a mensch and and bring my own since I expect to use more than a normal amount.

Archived