**Live on the CB** Mutiny?

edzachary

I read your review and appreciate its thoroughness. My wife and I are sailing next month on the CP (Oct 19) and chose Anytime Dining specifically because I am diabetic and the flexibility in eating time will help me with my blood sugar control. I am concerned about the waiting time stories that have been posted. Do you think I could advance in line if I tell the maitre d that I am a diabetic (or get reservations). Who should I talk to at Princess or on the ship?

Thanks

Allen

I read your review and appreciate its thoroughness. My wife and I are sailing next month on the CP (Oct 19) and chose Anytime Dining specifically because I am diabetic and the flexibility in eating time will help me with my blood sugar control. I am concerned about the waiting time stories that have been posted. Do you think I could advance in line if I tell the maitre d that I am a diabetic (or get reservations). Who should I talk to at Princess or on the ship?

Thanks

Allen

Hi Allen:

If I were you I would talk to the maitre d the first day of the cruise and tell him your situation. We opted for traditional dining first seating I'm anxious to see how that goes.

Go over to our Caribbean Princess posts and post your question there I bet someone has the same answer or a better one.

Carol (Pgh)

Thank you for an honest review. We will be on the CP next Sunday for this same itin in reverse. We sailed on this same ship during her inaugural year in 2004 and had a fabulous time. Food was very good and the service was excellent. Sorry to hear it has declined so much.
FYI, the OP was reviewing the Caribbean Princess (CB), not the Sea Princess (CP).

Let me preface this by saying that I was born in NYC, grew up just outside of NYC, and lived in the city for years before moving to the Boston area when I was 30. I love New York and I love to visit there. That said, for years, we took cruises to the Caribbean at Christmas time on both Princess and RCI and the majority of the passengers came from the NY/NJ area. I have to say that as a general rule, they were the rudest, pushiest, and whiniest passengers I've ever cruised with. After quite a few years, we decided to take a Mexican Riviera Christmas cruise out of San Pedro and the difference was like night and day. Same time of year, different experience. We vowed to never cruise the Caribbean again for that reason. Yes, this is a generalization but this has been my experience.

As for the A/C, that's pretty subjective in spite of what some people say. To one person (myself), 76o is perfect comfortable yet for someone else (my sister and brother-in-law), anything above 70o is too warm so I take comments about the A/C with a grain of salt. I rarely turn on my A/C at home yet my neighbor has theirs running 24/7, even when it gets down to the low 60s at night. I bring a small digital alarm clock that also has the temperature so I know whether it's in my head or not if I'm too warm or cold.

Food is also very subjective but I do know that the same ingredients and entrees can vary depending on the chef and Maitre D'. On my Sapphire cruise in April/May, the dining room food was pretty good but the buffet variety was pretty poor except for the fruit, which was incredible. On my Crown cruise in July, the dining room food was poorly executed (steak that was mostly gristle and fat, for instance) but the buffet was excellent except for the variety and ripeness of the fruit. We wound up having to send our entrees back and order something else several times, which we've never done before.

As for Anytime dining, many people love it but on the other hand, sometimes there are long waits every single night. On our Crown cruise in July, the waits in Anytime were 40 minutes every night, according to the Maitre D, and they started using empty tables and spaces in the Traditional dining room to help reduce the wait. That was our experience on the CB as well with Anytime dining: waits every single night, sometimes as long as 45 minutes, with a standing reservation for the same table. Perhaps it has something to do with the CB and Crown having the additional 500 passengers but not more dining room space.

I applaud the OP for posting his review. That was his experience and his observations. As we all know, two people on the same cruise can have very different experiences so I'll accept his review in that light.

FYI, the OP was reviewing the Caribbean Princess (CB), not the Sea Princess (CP).

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess. Never could figure out why it is CB instead of CP (Caribbean Princess is CP...where the heck does the B come into play here??) Soooo, I used the abreviation that I thought made more sense.:o Sorry.

Have to say, there are other threads on CC and on other cruise forums that echo exactly what the OP has been saying. I appreciate an honest review whether I agree or not. Those are the experiences of the OP and thank you for sharing them.

We love cruising.....we are not loyal to any one line, never will be, and I will always tell it like it is. We are easy to please but sometimes you just have to tell the truth!

Again, thanks for trying to let readers know what went on and it is your right and priviledge to cruise or not cruise on any line for whatever reason.

"Passengers: I have to make note of this. This is the 2nd time we have sailed out of New York on Princess. On the whole, we find the east coast crowd a fun bunch -- as long as they are not too old or too rich. This cruise, for whatever reason, is really, really old. We’re 44 and I swear we are the youngest on the boat. I’ve never seen it this bad before. Normally, we mix just fine with older folks but these people are just downright mean on this cruise."

Are you saying that everyone of the "older folk" was rude an obnoxious? Are you implying that "older folk" should stay home in their rocking chairs so you 40 somethings can have fun?

You say the "older folk" were whining about everything? Perhaps you should read your review again. You sound like one of us "older folk".:)

I guess I take exception to this post. I believe the OP was stating a fact and you didn't need to read anything else into it.

I also was on a CB not long ago that was pretty geriatric. Didn't make it bad just a little trying on one's patience (and I'm closer to the geriatric than I am 44 ;) ).

As to the OP's complaints, I was not overly impressed with my cruise on the CB but I still had a good time. Now when one complains about not getting water in the buffet, I thought a buffet was self serve and you're supposed to get your own. I think some of the complaints are a bit over the top but to each their own.

Positives on mine were no issues with anytime dining, no lines, OK service, pretty good food.

Negatives were ongoing maintenance, "Wet Varnish" signs everywhere, just OK service in general, not overly impressed with buffet and entertainment / night life was not a highlight.

But hey, a cruise beats working anytime.........

We have only cruised out of New York once, never again, not because of the ship or the pax but the embarkation terminal was utter chaos. This was when they sailed out of Manhatten.

As far as the pax goes, we found the pax on our recent West Coast (California) sailing roundtrip thru the Panama Canal to be mostly Californians and they were, with the exception of one couple we met, the most obnoxious people I have ever encountered. They were all very rich or would like to have you think they were. Dinner talk was mostly about how many homes they have, their Mercedes Benz or BMW's, how they fly to Florida every weekend in the winter and on and on.

Ron

Hi,

I too sailed on the 8/31 NE/Canada cruise on CB out of New York. I am late 40s and my wife is early 40s. I've sailed on Princess 6 times in the last 3 years so feel I know something about this line. My perspective is that pax average age may have been a little older in general, but was not much different than other Princess cruises I've been on in the past, about the same. In terms of irritability of the elderly passengers or those from NYC, I did not experience any unpleasant behavior. I am from the south, Atlanta, GA native. In fact, I would say everyone I met was friendly. I felt the crew was a little less friendly than on previous cruises with Princess, but overall nothing out of the ordinary. I do remember saying good morning to a crew member clearing my dishes and he did not respond, but that was the only memorable incident I can recall and I don't consider that offensive.

Food was pretty standard Princess fare prepared like what I've experienced on prior cruises with them. On a 7 day cruise I almost know the menus by heart I've ordered from them so many times. I will say they have cut down a little on the lobster on the last formal night, it used to be that you were given two tails now its single tail and prawns. But all across the US economy, food costs are increasing and portions sizes are narrowing, its appears to me to be related to overall price inflation.

I agree that in the buffet areas it was difficult to find a table during peak times, but I do not attribute this to the logistics of the ship or crew, I believe this is directly attributable to those folks that won't leave their table after they are finished eating. My wife and I simply adjusted our hours a little to avoid the most peak times eating in the buffets and from that point on we usually were able to find a place. In terms of eating dinner in the dining room, we are anytime diners and we never made a reservation and never once waited for a table. We were always seated immediately upon arrival. This is likely because we are willing to sit with others and also tend to arrive after 8:30pm.

In terms of A/C service, we were in a standard balcony room, Baja 406 and had not problems whatsoever. Everything worked fine.

Overall, a great cruise even with the scrubbed port of call in Newport.

I also just returned from the 8/31 Canada/New England cruise. This was my first Princess cruise and I am in my early 50's.

Just wanted to make a few comments:

Yes, there were many older passengers on the ship, but I believe as some others indicated that this is just the demographic for this cruise. There were, however, more wheelchairs and scooters than I have ever seen on a ship. This definitely caused some issues for the elevators, in public areas and when leaving the ship. That said, I had some great conversations with those passengers.

Anytime Dining - After trying to make reservations and given the option of dining at 8:45 or later, DH and I decided to do what the anytime venue was designed for. Throughout the week (we always ate at the Palm DR) we went down to dinner between 7PM and 7:30PM. They always gave us a pager when we had to wait, so we went upstairs for a drink. Our wait was never longer than 30 minutes. A couple of days we did get right in, no wait.

The beds are terrible even with an egg crate.

The AC is a problem. We had a couple of very warm days and that was when it was most noticeable, mostly in the cabin. On the cool days, the temperature was fine for me. Elevators were definitely warm.

I did have a massage one day and I was not at all impressed with the service. It was not made to be a relaxing experience, but more of get in- get out. They had you undress right in the room as opposed to going to a dressing area where you might be able to enjoy a shower or sauna afterwards. I was scheduled to have a facial as well, but cancelled that after this experience.

Service was OK, some really attentive, some not as good.

I was disappointed at the size of the theater for a ship this size. But overall, I did enjoy the entertainment, especially Bert.

It was disappointing to miss Newport, but I really enjoyed that last sea day on the ship. I'll get back to Newport another time.

Disembarkation - terrible! I enjoy it better when you are able to stay in your cabin as opposed to waiting in overcrowded public areas.

Overall, I had a great time. After all, I was on vacation and was not working.

Would I cruise Princess again? Only if it had the right itinerary and I would probably try a different ship.

Thanks

Allen

Didn't you already get a thread going specifically asking the same question?

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess. Never could figure out why it is CB instead of CP (Caribbean Princess is CP...where the heck does the B come into play here??) Soooo, I used the abreviation that I thought made more sense.:o Sorry.
This is easy: "CP", "KP", "CO" and "CB" are the official Princess abbreviations for the Sea, Crown, Coral and Caribbean Princess, respectively. They aren't "Cruise Critic speak." If you go to the Princess website and to the ships, look in the url and you'll see the abbreviation for each ship. "CB" was used for the Caribbean Princess because "CP" was already used for the Sea Princess, an older ship.

If the letters don't make sense then the logical combination is already being used. :)

Thanks

Allen

Eating at regular times is actually much better for controlling blood sugars in folks who have diabetes. It's variation of activity, food intake and varyings of times (especially delayed meals) that tend to cause problems, especially if you are insulin dependent. If your diabetes is at a point where this is a concern for you either make reservations nightly or go traditional. Or go to the buffet. If your reservations are delayed that's one thing, tell them and see if you can be seated right away. But it would be rude to not make reservations and expect to line jump every night when those other options are available to you.... :rolleyes:

and that's why we want to split the state of California...

the south steals our water and ruins the laidback fruits and nuts reputation we have cultivated!

:D There are those of us in the South that wanna split SoCal itself in half. Not all of us are totally into celebrities, buying a BMW, and other flaunting of materialism. There are certain cities where those people like to congregate. The rest of us like the weather and laid back atmosphere here.

and that's why we want to split the state of California...

the south steals our water and ruins the laidback fruits and nuts reputation we have cultivated!

I take offense to that comment...I hope your not reffering to Mexicans and such..:cool: :cool:

In Northern California we installed rock landscaping in Palm Springs (in the middle of the desert ) it was green as can be!

Eh? I don't profess to be the greatest map reader in the world, but I always remembered Palm Springs to be really South SoCal. Like San Diego south.

I did not bring up the part about the Mexican population.

and I wouldn't, not on this board

I brought up about wanting to split the state...

one has nothing to do with the other....

we consider Southern California anything south of San Luis Obispo..

that includes Palm Springs...If you would like to shift Santa Barbara a little further north we would be happy to claim that too. :D

As a native Californian...let me say this thought process has be going on for years...it won't happen, there's never been a serious push for it to happen....anyone who has lived here for any length of tme knows what I'm talking about.

Especially the poster who wants to split Southern California

and the comment about fruits and nuts is a joke, a homage to what MANY people have said about California..Though I live near Berkely and Santa Cruz so on any give day...it is a little nutty there, but that's what makes it fun to visit. In fact we were just in Santa Cruz this weekend for the Greek Festival.

but when it comes to our state govt...:rolleyes:, over the years Southern California seems to receive preferential treatment...

So...wanting to split up the state is relevant to cruising in some way and that was OK bring it up on this board but comments from others are not allowed. Got it.

And by the way, I'm Greek and I take offense to the nutty comment!

Listen, I'm kidding, I am Greek (and nutty), but I take no offense to ANY of your posts or anyone elses. This forum is a fun read and I enjoy hearing the points of view of all the posters. Whether I agree with them or not doesn't alter my day in any way. Sometimes I like to post a reply just for giggles (my own, in most cases).

Have a great day.

yes the greek festival was nutty..:D

The delicious baklava had nuts in it and the yummy Loukamandes had sprinkled almonds over the honey!!!

the best kind of nutty!

my original post was in response to someone commenting on rude californians...

as you know with messages board threads they evolve in all sorts of directions!

yes the greek festival was nutty..:D

The delicious baklava had nuts in it and the yummy Loukamandes had sprinkled almonds over the honey!!!

the best kind of nutty!

my original post was in response to someone commenting on rude californians...

as you know with messages board threads they evolve in all sorts of directions!

Of course, that's what makes them so much fun to read. :)

I've had my share of baklava and loukoumades. My parents are from Greece and my mom whips those two up like she was making a bowl of cereal or something. My thighs hate her.

I am one of those from the "north" and we have always joked about splitting the state. Thats what it is...a joke. Chill out, those of you from PA who wouldn't have a clue as to what the joke was. It had nothing to do with our diverse Hispanic population, or our African American population, or our Asian population, or, even our minority caucasion population. We are ALL Californians.

As for the "fruits and nuts comment, we have always used "cereal land" because when all the fruits and nuts are gone, there are still a lot of flakes.

But that's our beloved California and we don't want to change it.

one of the fruits

Ed

He also said they have tried all different kinds of plans to help alleviate the congestion in the buffets. He didn't come out and say it, but for me the implication was that there are just too many people for the buffet to service without some waits. I think the situation is also partly due to the fact that more and more people choose to eat in the buffet rather than the dining room for all meals....perhaps a higher percentage than was planned for when the ship was constructed.

I've noticed that the dining room is rather empty at breakfast and lunch. I wonder why more folks don't choose that option.

As for the "fruits and nuts comment, we have always used "cereal land" because when all the fruits and nuts are gone, there are still a lot of flakes.

Bahahaha. I hadn't heard that one before. I like it. My wife would like it more. She's a NorCal girl and I'm a SoCal boy and we tease each other now and then.

It's actually fun to point out the differences even in speech. Like how they say "hella" and how we add "the" before saying the freeway number. My mind can absorb "hella" but I still can't process how to mention a freeway without adding "the" before it.

Archived