Radisson on Canal Street

davidgee

Right, firstly, we know that this hotel has been getting alot of negative press and it is supposedly located in a very undesirable area of New Orleans...but, we are cruising from the end of April 2005 right in the middle of the Jazzfest and any hotels that have rooms available seem to be ridiculous prices i.e. $150+taxes per night to start with....and even the hotels located in the French Quarter that are around this price seem to be getting alot of bad reviews (Trip Advisor) as well.

We can get the Radisson on a rate of $210 all in for 3 nights pre cruise....this IMO is a great price and is very probably indicative of the problems/issues with the hotel.

We are willing to pay a little more money than $210, but not really more than $300 all in for the stay.

Can anyone help us out here?

If anyone can come up with better alternatives that don't cost the earth, then we are willing to go this way....otherwise, we are willing to put up with problems at the Radisson and pocket the money so that we can use it on tours etc.

Cheers

Other than staying in the suburbs and catching cabs, that's about as well as you will do on a Jazzfest weekend. Attendance at Jazzfest has been down over the past few years, so something better may become available later.

The area isn't really that bad. It's out of the way, but you would be pretty safe walking during the day. At night there are cabs or the new Canal Street streetcar. You can get a three-day pass for about $12. Regular fare is $1.25.

There are some unsavory characters along Canal Street, but tourist crimes (other than pickpockets) are pretty rare.

Sorry to disagree this is a property I would never stay at- location is everything in NO. This property consistantly gets bad reviews and for good reason- location- directly across from a large project housing. You seem ready to ignore the reviews- so go with your plans if that is your choice?

You seem ready to ignore the reviews- so go with your plans if that is your choice?

Well...yes it does get bad reviews, but it is located close to the FQ and seeing that cost is everything to us...we don't think it's worth paying more than double the money to stay in the FQ and most of the 2-3 star properties in the FQ don't get good reviews as it is.....add to this the fact, that we intend to spend very little time in the hotel.

If we could have got a 3 night stay during jazz-fest for around the same price, we would have gone for that...but paying at least $400 for 3 nights accommodation is just not on...no matter what time of the year it is, god, we are getting 3 nights accommodation in the Hilton in NY for around that price.

Well...yes it does get bad reviews, but it is located close to the FQ and seeing that cost is everything to us...we don't think it's worth paying more than double the money to stay in the FQ and most of the 2-3 star properties in the FQ don't get good reviews as it is.....add to this the fact, that we intend to spend very little time in the hotel.

If we could have got a 3 night stay during jazz-fest for around the same price, we would have gone for that...but paying at least $400 for 3 nights accommodation is just not on...no matter what time of the year it is, god, we are getting 3 nights accommodation in the Hilton in NY for around that price.

You don't get it- it is in a BAD location. No where I would step foot in at night. I stay in NYC all the time as a former New Yorker, so I am a very street savvy independent traveler (4 trips per year). $400 for 3 nights is $133/night- no way near as out of line as you suggest.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know we "won" this bid for a time in Novemeber by mistake on priceline. i tried like anything to get a refund but couldn't and so ended up"eating it!" I saw the area and was not thrilled at all and as luck would have it our dates were changed just a bit by putting a cruise in between our visit. Use Priceline very carefully. For the 2 days post cruise we got the Marriot on Canal Street and for us it was great- price was $46 plus taxes. We used Quickbook for pre-cruise as Priceline just wasn't working and ended up with the Holiday iNN sUPERDOME FOR 65 per night or something close to that price. It was fine and the staff were just wonderful. The Marriott was much fancier.

Archived