Where to stay precruise Norfolk

mountbiker

Hi All,

Booked on GOS out of Norfolk May 09. Just a few hour drive for us. I am looking for recommendations for a hotel, would like a stay and park if available. I understand port parking is $10/day X 9 days....

Thanks for the info,

Mark

We recently stayed overnight in Norfolk prior to going on the Grandeur to Bermuda. Stayed at the Radisson Downtown. This was a good/bad situation. The hotel is old --I'd guess 40 or 50 years. The building itself was there when I went to Old Dominion University in :eek: 1969!! But its been sold and resold and modeled and remodeled. Rooms are comfortable--but be sure to complain right away if you get noisy neighbors. Mine partied until 2:00 a.m. They will keep your car while you're cruising--at no extra charge. They'll shuttle you to and from the dock--at no extra charge. You get a breakfast coupon and a late checkout time. We found the hotel staff very accommodating and friendly. Be sure to check their website for the Cruise Special. Overall cost for us was $190 --and considering all the "pre-Cruise" stuff --worthwhile.

Retired Early

Planning Our Next Cruise!!

We just stayed at the Sheraton Waterside precruise. With taxes it came to about 180.00 maybe a few dollars less. That included keeping our car and shuttling us to and from the port. The hotel was very nice, it has just recently been renovated. It is very close to the port. We have stayed at the Radisson precruise in the past and it was ok but I would now recommend Sheraton over the Radisson.

HTH

Laine

We booked the Best Western Holiday Sands for Oct.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=47117

I'd rather be bayfront/ enjoy the view then directly in Norfolk/city. They let you keep your car here & then shuttle you back/forth.

Midway to Williamsburg/Bush Gardens. Anyone else ever stay here?

The hotel itself is probably fine. I wouldn't wander around the neighborhood at night there, though. The hotel is actually located in the "Ocean View" area of Norfolk. This is an area where a lot of beautiful new homes have been built as part of the redevelopment efforts. The area has come a long way but there is still a lot of crime, particularly drug related. By contrast the downtown area of Norfolk near the cruise terminal is considered much safer by many locals.

This post may anger some of the locals but I can't bite my tongue and not warn you about the nightlife in Ocean View. I apologize if anyone is offended. :( I'm sure you'll be fine staying there as long as you don't walk around the streets at night. We eat at restaurants in Ocean View in the evenings so we know you can stay there using common sense.

The hotel itself is probably fine. I wouldn't wander around the neighborhood at night there, though. The hotel is actually located in the "Ocean View" area of Norfolk. This is an area where a lot of beautiful new homes have been built as part of the redevelopment efforts. The area has come a long way but there is still a lot of crime, particularly drug related. By contrast the downtown area of Norfolk near the cruise terminal is considered much safer by many locals.

This post may anger some of the locals but I can't bite my tongue and not warn you about the nightlife in Ocean View. I apologize if anyone is offended. :( I'm sure you'll be fine staying there as long as you don't walk around the streets at night. We eat at restaurants in Ocean View in the evenings so we know you can stay there using common sense.

I agree 100%. I would not stay in Ocean View either. If you do, make sure your car is parked in a secure area and do not wander out at night. I would also not stay at the Radisson in Norfolk. The other downtown hotels are fine but read the reviews on the Radisson before you book there.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree about the Ocean View area. They are doing a lot to revitalize that area. Or should I say Judy Boone! The surrounding area still isn't the best by far. Like others have said it is best to stay right near the port or go down by the ocean in Virginia Beach.

ok, thanks for advice. we changed our plans & are just staying in williamsburg for the weekend & will drive to the pier day of cruise/ should be fine just parking there/ taking their little shuttle. i truly appreciate the input.

Good for you! Williamsburg is a treat to visit. I hope you have a great cruise out of Norfolk and a nice visit here in southern VA.

ok, thanks for advice. we changed our plans & are just staying in williamsburg for the weekend & will drive to the pier day of cruise/ should be fine just parking there/ taking their little shuttle. i truly appreciate the input.

I live in Williamsburg, so if you have any questions about things to do, places to eat, etc. I'd be happy to give you whatever information I can.

Archived