PRIDE - aircon in non-balcony cabins

Flopsyuk

Can anyone advise me on the quality of the air-conditioning in the cabins?

We are looking at a non-balcony cabin and I'm trying to work out from the photos if we will be able to open a window in the room at all.

Alternatively how good is the aircon?

I'm on of those "fresh air" people who always sleeps with the window open. I feel suffocated without or or great air-conditioning.

Hopefully, I'll meet up with some of you on a cruise one day.

Flopsy

In London

Flopsy,

the air conditioning in non-balcony cabins is perfectly fine. You cannot open a window, but the cabins are spacious and I don't think you'll miss it. The aircon is responsive and quiet. I like it on the cool side and it worked just fine.

M

You won't miss having a balcony or window to open. Not in these spacious cabins. Don't forget, the windows in the cabins on Seabourn are massive. There is lots of room, and the air circulates very well. You can have it as cool or toasty in there as you like!

Jane

I hate to disagree with the other fine posters, but the A/C on Seabourn in the rooms could be improved upon.

The bedding, unless it has changed, consists of a comfy mattress covered by a fitted sheet and a thick duvet/comforter surrounded by a sheet-cover. If you are hot-natured, I would ask your stewardess to add an additional flat sheet to go between your body and the duvet/comforter. (The bed linens are not typical of a US hotel room.) While most people would not want their room 65F, I believe that should be the "cool-point" on the thermostat. We did get it nearly "meat locker cool" but only after the technical staff paid us a visit. We aren't eskimos, but with the thickness of the bed linens, it was nice to have the cabin air very crisp at night.

My suggestion is to "crank down" your A/C to the minimum temperature as soon as you arrive. If it's not to a point you are comfortable within 2 hours, a call to the front desk should be sufficient to have the right people come to resolve it. In general, though, the rooms are not super-cool. They are fine if you like to lounge around in your skivvies, but there have been several times when I was putting on my formal wear when I would sweat (and that's not because I as running late!).

johnny

I agree with Johnny, I find the ac, specifically on the Pride to be rather inconsistent. One day it will work great, the next it will feel close and humid in the room. I guess it all depends on what part of the globe the ship is located. I've never given the overall ventilation/cooling on the triplets 5 stars, maybe 3 at best.

Jane made a great point! When you are in a nice hot or balmy place..opening the balcony door is most pleasant. I too, like fresh air. The closed air does not bother my husband, but it does me. I can tell you, that there is no sleep, like that of the ocean air wafting over over you. Unfortunately, there are times when it is windy or a rough sea and the doors must be closed because of the sea mist and splash making a mess in the suites. Lola

I now travel with a small portable fan to keep the air moving even if the A/C is working great, and I find that I sleep better plus it creates a 'white noise' to mask any little odd noises from being in a different place than home. You can pick them up in most drug stores for $10 to $20 and I leave them on the ship for other passengers to use. They are so easy to pick up when I arrive in the departure port (along with whatever else I realized on the plane that I forgot to pack!) so packing isn't an issue, and the ship usually has a few fans available if you don't want to stop & shop.

They also come in handy for cooling off while dressing, after dancing, and for those of us at that certain age when the hot flashes hit ;)

I've only had A/C issues once on SB, and it was fixed rather quickly.

In the Caribbean or the Mediterranean/Europe a balcony suite is so comfortable and the sea breeze, so refreshing ~~but on the open sea, certainly not necessary. In fact a few times coming from Europe to Newfoundland the Captain has "locked" all balcony doors. (they can automatically lock from the Bridge) And on some Transatlantic's, when the seas are particularly rough, the doors are taped with heavy duct tape ~~

I enjoy having the window ledge for extra storage.....and a nice spot for a flower arrangement.

Martita B.

SeabournGirl,

Since we are getting "personal", two years ago just before our S.E.Asia Seabourn cruise I started getting hot flashes and was quite worried that I was A) traveling to a very humid part of the world and B) would not be able to get the A/C cool enough at night. Maybe it was Seabourn magic but I did not have a single hot flash the entire trip. I think it must have been the champagne! But seriously, I like to sleep in a cool room under lots of covers and have never noticed a problem. What amazes me even more is that smoking is allowed in the suites. I am very sensitive to stale smoke and have never gotten even a scent of it on either the Spirit or the Pride.

My philosophy regarding balconies differs with some of the other posters. We had a balcony once in the Med where the air was dry but I definitely avoided it in the Caribbean and S.E. Asia where it was humid. After having lived for too many years in the Northern Virginia humid suburbs of D.C. I prefer dry warm air. The bottom line for us is that I like being in the middle of the ship on the lowest level so we now always book an A1 suite.

After having lived for too many years in the Northern Virginia humid suburbs of D.C. I prefer dry warm air.

Are you still in Northern VA?? I live in Falls Church!

One cause of the 'flashes' for me are the tannins in red wine that European wine makers ADD to wines exported to the US, and it instantly kicks them in for me. Seabourn must buy wines with the lower tannin levels, as I don't have a problem onboard either!

Sorry for getting 'off topic' - I am easily distracted!

SeabournGirl,

Sailor Boy and I lived in Vienna for 10 years (but we had both lived in Northern Virginia since the 60's)before we headed west to Tucson.Best thing we ever did -- well other than get married and discover Seabourn.Now we only go back to visit my Dad.

we found the a/c less than perfect on the Pride.....I quite often told hubby to go fix it (that was his job in a "former" life) Silly old granny NEVER thought of asking for a top sheet for the bed.......spent 85 days kicking off the comforter....dragging it up again....kicking it off again....next time I will be a pain and ask for the bed to be made with a top sheet....;)

Before even boarding, I request on our pre-cruise form on the computer to "made up our beds American style" since my husband cannot stand the duvet. I can take it or leave it but either way I like the nighttime temperature to be "meat locker" cold. I like the two sheets and a regular blanket and that seems to please us both. I also found the aircon to be irregular on the Pride and as far as cigarette smoke goes, I've been bothered very much by a smoker next to us. You can't believe how much her smoke wafted into our suite.

We have asked for an (full) egg create to be put on top of our mattress this takes care of the seam between the two beds. Next we have ask of engineering to come to the cabin and ask for increase of air flow in the duck. That was a good move on our part. The egg create must be asked for before boarding they only have a few and they must order more if there are two many requests.

Great suggestions all! I like the analogy of 'meat locker cold'. That's how we like it for sleeping and when preparing for 'monkey suit night'.

Sheets and blankets for us too! I've been through the on-line forms a few times and I can't find anywhere to make extra requests. It would certainly be easier to advise the ship earlier. We don't want to make extra work for the room ladies on changeover day if it can be avoided.

Steve.

I've done my requesting online on the form you fill out for your personal requests (liquor) and anything else you need. See if that helps. The bed is always made up just the way we like it when we arrive on board. In earlier times I've requested a magnifying mirror and always found it on the dressing table. Now, though, I think one comes with the suite.

I just spent the last week trying to find a small magnifying mirror on a small stand to take with me(finally found one) -- and now I find out I could have just asked for one! I guess I have once again underestimated the lengths Seabourn will go to to make their guests happy.Thanks for the info.

Archived