need advice on going Carnival

bruce-r

Help, we are loyal Royals but due to our summer schedule and the fact that RC is not sailing out of Galveston next summer we might have to sail on Carnival. (their site is not real helpful other than photos)

Can anyone tell me about the Carnival Conquest? I am interested in knowing info about suites (any perks) Teen club activities, ship in general, things to do on board?

Will we be too spoiled by RC to enjoy Carnival???

Any words of wisdom apprecated

Any words of wisdom for rushedmom?

Having been on the Conquest a couple of times, I can tell you that it is a wonderful ship. I have never been on a RC cruise so I cant compare but I think you will enjoy it. My son enjoyed the teen scene and we rarely saw him on the cruise. I haven't had a suite before but I hear they are nice. We have had an inside room and ocean view and like them both but we are rarely in our room. Therre are always activities to do and shows going on. It is a very large ship and nicely decorated. It is a fun ship hince the name Carnival the "Fun Ships".

Well, let me give you some contrast between the two ships...

Carnival has cabins that are up to 50% larger than RC, so that should be a plus.

The quality of food opinions from Folks seem to indicate they are compareable... but I have seen posted from folks who cruise multiple lines that Carnival edges out RC ... not just from the Carnival Rah-Rah's.

Carnival is adding mini-golf to all their ships... and I believe kid water parks to others. Might need more back-up from others on this Carnival Board as I do not cruise with my kids (It's my mine and my DW's week away from the kids), so I pay very little attention to anything that would make the Little Munskins... or Teen Attitudes happy... don't care.

No Rock walls... but they do have volley ball and backet ball cages for the kids, as well as kid's programs:

Camp Carnival Toddlers for 2 thru 5 http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Toddlers.aspx and Camp

Carnival Juniors for 6 thru 8 http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Juniors.aspx and

Camp Carnival Intermidiates for ages 9 thru 11. http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/intermediates.aspx

The have Circle-C for 12 thru 14, http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/obx/youth_experience/circlec.aspx and

Club O2 for 15 - 17 http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/obx/youth_experience/clubO2.aspx.

OK... I do know more about the kid's programs than I'm willing to admit... :D

18 year olds are in a quandry because they are Adults... but can't legally do much on crusies since all cruiselines are really devoted to those 21 and older.

Cruiseline only invite the kids to cruise because they are extremely easy money for the cruiselines... total cash-makers.

Carnival folks are 7 years younger on average than the other cruiselines. They do like to party... but the ship is not full of a bunch of drunks... just personalities that like to have fun. I've year to see a bunch of drunks on board... I have some friends that cruise RC and let me tell you, they are falling down drunk every night. I don't think that is RC or Carnival specific.

Best of luck to you finding a cruise. :)

There are a lot of things about CCL that you'll have to endure. The shrimp at dinner are 4x bigger and might frighten you. The rest of the food is so good that you will put on weight. I mean, offering 24hr pizza and icecream? How dare they!

You won't get much sleep- they have a lot o nigh activities and they even have comedians that perform after 11:00pm, when you really should be in bed.

Oh, and those beds! They are so comfortable that you don't want to get out.They even sell them.

Geez, there are so many things that CCL cruisers have to endure!

There are a lot of things about CCL that you'll have to endure. The shrimp at dinner are 4x bigger and might frighten you. The rest of the food is so good that you will put on weight. I mean, offering 24hr pizza and icecream? How dare they!

You won't get much sleep- they have a lot o nigh activities and they even have comedians that perform after 11:00pm, when you really should be in bed.

Oh, and those beds! They are so comfortable that you don't want to get out.They even sell them.

All very good points I glossed over... not that anyone should cruise just for the chocolate melting cake... :p

Thank you all for your feedback, I think we will give it a try!

All I can add is go with an open mind. We bought in to the anti-Carnival sentiment for a long while and finally gave it a try. Next Jan & April will be our 5th & 6th Carnival cruise in less than 3 years.

YMMV, but you'll never know until you go:p

Charlie

Thank you all for your feedback, I think we will give it a try!

I personally like to be tortured with bigger cabins, awesome food, the Comfort Bed System, the Supper Club, the Twister waterslide, free pizza and ice cream 24 hours a day and a list of activities that keeps me busy from the moment I wake up until I go to bed.

That's why after my last Royal Caribbean cruise in 2004, I've sailed exclusively on Carnival ever since...6 times! I'm going for some more torture in a little less than 2 months!

The bed on the Conquest was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on, cruise OR hotel. You will love it. It has been our favorite cruise so far.

Any words of wisdom for rushedmom?

We loved the Conquest, and are returning to cruise again this November.

Although we had an Aft cabin on the Empress, my cousins were in a suite on the same deck. The suite is a larger cabin, has a separate dressing area, walk-in closet (I think :rolleyes:) , jacuzzi tub, and is very nicely appointed.

If suites were located on the Aft, we would be booked in a heart-beat :D

Sorry, I don't know anything about the children area.

Not trying to be a smart aleck or stir a pot but I guess I don't understand why people feel like they have to be sold on one line over the other? I'm still new to cruising and all my past and current cruises are booked on Carnival. But if another line had itinerary/pricing/dates that worked, I wouldn't hesistate to sail on another line (ex. Alaska).

(Of course, I'm not so sure I would include RCI in that after reading how some of their loyalists think us Carnival cruisers are vile, loathing creatures who don't seem to deserve the air we breathe.... :eek: )

As a tour guide once said to us as we traveled through different European countries, with each of their "unique" features...It's not wrong, just different.

Not trying to be a smart aleck or stir a pot but I guess I don't understand why people feel like they have to be sold on one line over the other? I'm still new to cruising and all my past and current cruises are booked on Carnival. But if another line had itinerary/pricing/dates that worked, I wouldn't hesistate to sail on another line (ex. Alaska).

You are smart! Don't get stuck on one line you will miss out on alot of wonderful experiences:)

OP don't try to compare the lines they have their differences. Go on the Conquest and enjoy!

One noted difference that may (or may not) make a difference to you is that RCCL does not allow smoking in the cabins and Carnival does.

We have only cruised Carnival so far, but that will change one day.

I tell my friends that Carnival is not 5 star, but you will get your money's worth. They provide a good cruise value for my travel dollar!

Archived