Boston transportation question

MandyCSP

I've searched these forums and it seems that the silver line to south station is recommended many times. If there are 3 cruise ships docked on a particular day I'm wondering if the wait for the bus might be very long since it can't accommodate many people at once. Can anyone share their experience in using the silver line? Alternatively, how much would a taxi to South Station cost from the Black Falcon terminal and how long is the drive?

Haven't taken that particular bus, but have seen it at the pier on cruise ship days. It's generally a double bus (articulates in middle) which allows for increased ridership so there's a good chance you'd get a seat. Bus runs on a fairly regular schedule so the wait between isn't too long.

Going on the Silver Line gives you a free transfer to the rest of the 'T' at South Station. Typically, South Station would not be a tourist destination. You would probably want to continue on to Boston Common, Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, Cambridge, or Back Bay, which are all a more expensive cab ride from the pier.

The Silver Line is the newest part of the 'T' which was built to service South Boston and to provide public transportation directly to the terminals at the airport. As the previous poster said, they are double buses that are designed to carry more passengers. The one that go to the airport have luggage racks. For the most part the buses are in their own private tunnel - there are only a few possible traffic lights that they may have to stop at.

Going on the Silver Line gives you a free transfer to the rest of the 'T' at South Station. Typically, South Station would not be a tourist destination. You would probably want to continue on to Boston Common, Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, Cambridge, or Back Bay, which are all a more expensive cab ride from the pier.

The Silver Line is the newest part of the 'T' which was built to service South Boston and to provide public transportation directly to the terminals at the airport. As the previous poster said, they are double buses that are designed to carry more passengers. The one that go to the airport have luggage racks. For the most part the buses are in their own private tunnel - there are only a few possible traffic lights that they may have to stop at.

How do you get to the Silver Line...is it near where the ship docks? I have been trying to figure how to get into Boston from the dock without spending an arm and a leg....any ideas?:confused:

How do you get to the Silver Line...is it near where the ship docks? I have been trying to figure how to get into Boston from the dock without spending an arm and a leg....any ideas?:confused:

Same here. We would like to go to the aquarium which is near Fanuil/Quincy Market Place. Is there a shuttle from the cruise pier to Quincy Market for a reasonable price?

I don't know of a shuttle to the Aquarium, but perhaps others know. A cab would be about $10-12 depending on traffic.

You can take the silver line to South Station and walk up along the harbor - about 15 minutes. At Northern Avenue there is a staircase at the water that will take you down to the boardwalk that will connect all the way up to the Aquarium.

Or you can transfer to the red line inbound at South Station (front of the train - Alewife), transfer to the Orange Line (Oak Grove) at Downtown Crossing and go 1 stop to State. At State you have a choice of transferring to the Blue Line (Wonderland) to go 1 stop to the Aquarium, or you can walk through Quincy Market.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

It's really not complicated. Remember that Boston is small and the in town distances are not far.

We walked off the pier a few days ago, where the shuttle wanted $17 one way to Quincy Market. Asked the guard about the bus, he pointed us across the street, and up a block where we paid $2 each to get to South Station and then we asked and were directed easily to transfer (no extra cost) to Quincy Market. A nice savings. Do allow enough tim ecoming back, since there is waiting time between the "t's".

So glad to hear that someone had a successful adventure on the 'T'! I hope others will try it.

If you want to explore Boston, Quincy Market is a good place to start. You can easily check out the North End. Or you can walk the Freedom Trail back towards the Boston Common. Or you can go over to the Aquarium and walk along the waterfront boardwalk back towards South Station. With a good map of downtown, it is difficult to get totally lost.

If you walk back to South Station, then the Silver Line is right there for a more speedy return to the pier.

Last week we took a cab from Black Falcon cruise terminal to the area between the gardens where the swan boats are and the start of the Freedom trail.

They had a nice area set up to get cabs at the pier & a worker was matching up people to spit cabs as best she could. It cost $24 with tip for the trip out. We split that with another couple. The way back(from Paul Revere's house) we caught a cab for $12 total. He was not permitted to drop us off right at the cruise entrance, but a small distance down which was fine with us. We were told by the ticket lady at the one site that cab fares have just gone up. Still trying to figure why it was so much more the one way. I would guess it was because the line of cabs were there waiting for us on the way out. I was glad that we were able to spit the cost with another nice couple.

Princess was offering a shuttle for $13 one way or $19(I think) round trip to Quincy market. We were glad to have taken the cab and to not have had to be back at the same spot, but it is a nice option.

Archived