Hong Kong Restaurant Recommendations

MalibuCA

We are going to be in Hong Kong for 5 nights pre-cruise on the Crystal Symphony. We need recommendations for restaurants for our pre-cruise nights. We are looking for excellent food and great ambience. Please share your favorite Hong Kong restaurants with me.

Thanks,

Shelley:o

Taking "TEA" at the PENINSULA is supposed to be an experience not to be missed. I understand people go there just to stand and observe others partaking. Scones, watercress and cucumber sandwiches, clotted cream...ahhhh cholesterol !

I understand some of the more elegant hotels have weekend brunch buffets to die for. Unfortunately I don't know which ones and I would be interested in hearing what others have to say...especially looking for ones with Asian food (but not dim sum).

Beau

we have had tea at the Peninsula which is served in the lobby and it was fabulous. At the the top of the hotel is Felix, decor by Phillip Starck. A truly magnificent location. Food was good but we were all suffering with colds so it was probably fantastic but we couldn't enjoy it. Make sure you have drinks in the bar and visit the rest rooms the views are spectacular!

A great memory making experience!

---------------

Helen

I respectfully have to disagree about tea at the Peninsula. It is great only if you like eating and drinking while being ogled by hundreds of tourists and lookie-loos. When I stayed at the Peninsula a few years a go I avoided the lobby altogether except to enter and leave the hotel, which otherwise was exceptional.

Hi All,

Do you need to book to go for tea at the Penninsula and can anyone remember roughly how much "High Tea" Cost? Can you just sit and have a cuppa without the doing the whole "High Tea" bit? I presume it's served between about 3pm and 5pm like in most international 5* Hotels.

Thanks all:)

Luxury: we were staying at the hotel and so had an American Express 2 for 1 for tea. we did not reserve and just waited in line for maybe 15 minutes to be seated. I can't really recall the price but guessing it was 35 usd or so. Of course you could just sit and order whatever, no need to do the whole thing. It was really a lovely experience, I thought. But we are Americans and may have lower expectations for "tea", finding just the idea elegant and novel.

---------------

Helen

Consider having a look at Hutong. This restaurant is not very far from the Star Ferry (Kowloon side), and where I think all cruise ships are berthed in Hong Kong. We have been to Hong Kong many times and went here on someones recommendation. Look at http://www.aqua.com.hk/ and look for Hutong. This restaurant is very high up and has a great view across the harbour (very good for seeing the evening laser show). If you just show up it is unlikely you will get a window seat, but it is good nevertheless. Its the quirky bits that make it interesting, a bird cage denotes a table ready to use, a mahjong box is what the bill is presented in etc. Although we have been as I said to Hong Kong many times these little touches made it a memorable place. The food is good - its not typical Hong Kong family fayre by any means, but good Chinese food. The deboned lamb ribs were great - and again served on an interesting platter. See also http://www.frommers.com/destinations/hongkong/D55084.html - I'd suggest you go in an evening to get the full effect - this place is on a corner of the road - its not obvious to begin with, as it appears to be shops and offices, take the lift and its all there.

Hope you enjoy it - we did - reserve if you can.

If you stick around the main towns (Hong Kong or Kowloon) and hotels all the food is quite good but often Western in style (eg: Clotted cream on scones at the Peninsula - do that when you're in Devon instead).

Try the Jumbo Floating restaurant in Aberdeen Harbour. They used to do a good Dim Sum on Sundays. (check with them first - I haven't been there in a while). You could also take a water taxi through the harbour which is quite illuminating.

Have a good trip.

David

• 1 month later...
Consider having a look at Hutong. This restaurant is not very far from the Star Ferry (Kowloon side), and where I think all cruise ships are berthed in Hong Kong. We have been to Hong Kong many times and went here on someones recommendation. Look at http://www.aqua.com.hk/ and look for Hutong. This restaurant is very high up and has a great view across the harbour (very good for seeing the evening laser show). If you just show up it is unlikely you will get a window seat, but it is good nevertheless. Its the quirky bits that make it interesting, a bird cage denotes a table ready to use, a mahjong box is what the bill is presented in etc. Although we have been as I said to Hong Kong many times these little touches made it a memorable place. The food is good - its not typical Hong Kong family fayre by any means, but good Chinese food. The deboned lamb ribs were great - and again served on an interesting platter. See also http://www.frommers.com/destinations/hongkong/D55084.html - I'd suggest you go in an evening to get the full effect - this place is on a corner of the road - its not obvious to begin with, as it appears to be shops and offices, take the lift and its all there.

Hope you enjoy it - we did - reserve if you can.

I will second that recommendation for Hutong - we reserved in advance for a window table, and yes, the deboned lamb ribs are wonderful!;)

Felix at top the Peninsula Kowloon is fantastic. The (starts at and you must be out of there by 8pm) 530 pm early bird dinner is almost 50% off the price of a dinner after 8 pm. (Men) Make sure you see the view from the bathroom! It is a wonder.

Fat Angelo's is a great, great italian eatery with fantastic atmosphere.

As of October 2008!

All tourists LOVE Peking Garden Chinese Restaurant. There are quite a few Peking Gardens but do go to the one in Central Alexander House, which is catered for tourists and serve alot of Chinese gourmet dishes such as Begger's Chicken, Peking Duck, etc. You get to take pictures upon breaking open the Begger's Chicken and they give you a golden hammer as souvenir. Reasonably priced, tastefully decorated and excellent service. For western food, not sure about your budget but you may try Caprice (French) at Four Seasons Hotel ; L'atelier Robuchon (French) at The Landmark ; Gaddi's (French) at Penninsula Hotel ; Sabatini's (Italian) at Royal Garden Hotel. These are the most famous restos in Hong Kong.

I have read great things about Hutong, but I have heard that it is spicy. I like my food very flavorful, but not hot and spicy. Definitely no bell peppers -- they will stay with me the entire cruise! Did you find Hutong to be especially spicy, or is there a selection of items that are not too spicy?

Thanks,

Shelley

Most of the food at Hutong is delicious and unusual in its preparation and presentation. And if you happen to snag a window table (the ONLY reason for eating there imo) the view alone is worth going. But be aware the restaurant is sort of a hip, slick and cool place. Very trendy and youth oriented. This can either be a positive or negative depending on your POV.

There are several great restaurants in the Intercontinental hotel.

The Alan Duccaise one has a great view and food but make reservations.

And the lobby bar is perfect for watching the 8 pm lazer show. The view is spectacular.

The Mandarin Oriental "Vong" is outstanding Chinese food in a an incredible setting and view.

I agree with poster about Felix's in the pennisula. Another great view. and you must see the ladies room..amazing.

Archived