Local place in OSJ for lunch or dinner or drinking $

txwildflower2002

If you like Mojitos, you need to go to the Resturant called Mojitos. Make sure you go in to order....The best mojitos ever. If you drink outside at the tables, they serve them in plastic cups and it looses something.

Also had the Mojito chicken for dinner there one night. Enjoyed it a lot. The atmosphere is more like an old neighborhood cafe. No glitz, but the food was reasonable and tasty. We went back for one last Mojito before going to our ship:D

Ray, we will be in SJU for 3 days prior to our cruise 1/19/09. We are staying at the Coral Princess.

Is it going to be crazy in OSJ during that weekend? or is it going to be like a normal weekend? I am excited about being there during a festival, but maybe I am expecting something more than it is.

I'm trying to decide if we are going to want to plan on spending day and night in OSJ or if we should plan on some other activities.

We love SJU and hope to find a place to rent there for a few months every year after we retire.

That weekend is the San Sabastian Festival. The old city will be packed with locals (mostly) and tourists.

If you like crowds (shoulder to shoulder moving down the street) then go. We went one year and promptly turned around and left after about 1 hour.

It's a slice of PR culture that you should experience.

Think Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Music. Dancing. Drinking.

Lots of all of those.

Last time we were in OSJ, ate one night at a restuarant across the street from the Parrott Club. I think it started with an S......great food...beautiful presentation....kind of expensive, but worth every penny.

And the Creme Brulee was to die for;)

Do you know what this was and if it still exists?

We hope to go back in January at least for the Creme Brulee

We had a WONDERFUL van driver in San Juan: Francisco 787-549-6058 or e-mail mrcontrol@hotmail.com He speaks English extremely well and was very accommodating for our group. He would welcome the opportunity to take you wherever you want to go and his prices are reasonable.

We also loved El Jiberito in Old San Juan

Last time we were in OSJ, ate one night at a restuarant across the street from the Parrott Club. I think it started with an S......great food...beautiful presentation....kind of expensive, but worth every penny.

And the Creme Brulee was to die for;)

Do you know what this was and if it still exists?

We hope to go back in January at least for the Creme Brulee

Across from the Parrot Club and begins with an "S" ??

Gonna have to give me more than that ... I'm drawing a blank.

Next time we're in OSJ (next couple of weeks) we'll take a look.

Sounds like you'll have about a day or 1.5 days to see things.

I would plan to do the rain forest one day and OSJ the other day.

There's no real need to rent a car for OSJ. You'll only really use it to drive into the city and then you'll park. OSJ is only like 8 square blocks, so the best way to see anything is on foot (refer to our self-guided walking tour mentioned earlier in this thread).

You can hop a taxi from from the Marriott to OSJ for about $13.50 each way. So take that into consideration when you decide for how long you'll want to rent a car.

For the rain forest, I would definitely recommend renting a car versus taking an organized tour. First, you'll save a bundle. Second, you'll be able to do what you want on your own schedule. Third, you'll be able to see more of the rain forest.

Get to the rain forest early. It's about 1 - 1.5 hours drive from the Condado area. It's an easy drive (Route 26 to Route 66 to Route 3). We've provided directions in our overview of the rain forest. That same article has links to a trail map and descriptions of the various trails. We really like Angelito Trail and the Juan Diego Falls.

After the rain forest, you can spend the afternoon at Balneario Monserrate (Luquillo Beach). You can get some local food at the stands right at the beach or at the kiosks along Route 3 next to the beach.

On your return trip, you can either backtrack the way you came, or head back through Pinones where you can stop for dinner at some pretty good restaurants like The Waterfront or Soleil. From the Luquillo/rainforest area, head west on Route 3 until you get to the Belz Factory Outlet Mall. Instead of turning left for Route 66, turn right (north) and head toward Loiza. Look for an intersection with Road 187. Turn left (west) and you'll follow the ocean all the way back to Isla Verde. Along the way, you'll go through Pinones. Road 187 eventually turns into Road 37 in Isla Verde, which turns into Ashford Ave in the Condado.

Hope this helps!

Ray,

Our ship will only be in PR in late November from 3:00 to 10:00 PM. I would love to go to the el-yunque-rainforest however, my research leads me to understand that it closes at 6:00 pm and thus may not be worth it. On a cruise a few years back we were booked for a tour to the rain forest but it was canceled. Would you advise not trying to make this trip with so little time. Maybe it just has to wait again until next time. Your posts are very helpful - Thanks!!

Ray,

Our ship will only be in PR in late November from 3:00 to 10:00 PM. I would love to go to the el-yunque-rainforest however, my research leads me to understand that it closes at 6:00 pm and thus may not be worth it. On a cruise a few years back we were booked for a tour to the rain forest but it was canceled. Would you advise not trying to make this trip with so little time. Maybe it just has to wait again until next time. Your posts are very helpful - Thanks!!

We're happy that you find our posts helpful.

It is true that the gates to the rain forest close at 6pm. You could make it in time, but personally I wouldn't make the trip given the tight time frame. And given the time it takes to pick up your rental car. And traffic that time of day will be bad heading out of the San Juan area.

You do have the option, however, of going to the Angelito Trail, which is outside of the gates that close at 6pm. So there wouldn't be the chance of getting locked inside.

But then again, sunset at that time of the year is around 5:45pm ... so you'll be limited by that, too.

You're best bets would probably be to hang around Old San Juan. Depending on the night of the week, you might be able to take in a Flamenco Show or other local entertainment. Or maybe do a guided night-time walking tour of the city.

Hope this helps!

We're happy that you find our posts helpful.

It is true that the gates to the rain forest close at 6pm. You could make it in time, but personally I wouldn't make the trip given the tight time frame. And given the time it takes to pick up your rental car. And traffic that time of day will be bad heading out of the San Juan area.

You do have the option, however, of going to the Angelito Trail, which is outside of the gates that close at 6pm. So there wouldn't be the chance of getting locked inside.

But then again, sunset at that time of the year is around 5:45pm ... so you'll be limited by that, too.

You're best bets would probably be to hang around Old San Juan. Depending on the night of the week, you might be able to take in a Flamenco Show or other local entertainment. Or maybe do a guided night-time walking tour of the city.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the additional information. We will be there on a Monday. I will look at the options.

Yes. There are bars.

Head up to San Sabastian Street, you'll find a bunch there.

The Nuyorican Cafe, on Calle de la Capilla, is a popular spot.

You may be able to catch a ride on La Rumba, a floating nightclub, depending on the night you're in port and your departure time. It boards right in front of the Casita Visitor Info building.

If you're into rum-tasting, go to Caña just off of the courtyard of El Convento hotel, for their "rum bar" and tapas.

And in a pinch, there's always Senor Frogs on Calle Comercio.

You can try the contacting Segway Tours of PR and see if they'll be offering a twilight segway tour that night.

Hope this helps!

ray ray ray thank you so much for all your info i need to download everything .. i have a group of us going so i want to let them know all the great places to see ,eat and go... again thanks .. what car rental you recommand by the way im staying at the Best western Pierre arriving 1/17/09 cruise leaves on 1/18/09 at 10:00pm so i have time to tour.. also what are the dates for the festival??? i work with a bunch of doctors and one of them is From PR and he has told me of some great places ,now for me to choose where to start to go...LOL again thanks so much for all your help i know everyone here has thanked you it feels good when you can help others for nothing .. that comes from the hearT!!:p

Does anyone know when "high season" is in PR? Im guessing it is not Jan!! I was wondering cause one of the things well this...Juan Carlos Flamenco Guitarist & Flamenco Dancers

• Where: Escambron Beach Club in Old San Juan
  • When: Monday & Tuesday nights at 9:30pm during high season

Looked interesting but it says 9:30 during high season! So I was wondering if Jan is not high season do they even offer this Mondays when I will be there! Any info is appreciated! Oh I will be there Jan 12th 2009!

The Festival will be going on that weekend in OSJ. I googled San Sebastian Festival puerto rico and then looked at the utube videos....:eek:

I don't think you will be in a car down there. It says thousands of people !the streets were packed in the videos.

I think we will go down there during the day on Saturday to see the local artists, but may skip the evening activities. I'm afraid I am showing my age.

We are staying in Condado so we won't be in the middle of it all.

On Sunday I want to take our friends to El Morro. Last time we were there on a Sunday there were hundreds of kites.

[quote name='zandmwiens']Does anyone know when "high season" is in PR? Im guessing it is not Jan!! I was wondering cause one of the things well this...Juan Carlos Flamenco Guitarist & Flamenco Dancers
[LIST]
[*]Where: [URL="http://www.escambron.com/"]Escambron Beach Club[/URL] in Old San Juan
[*]When: Monday & Tuesday nights at 9:30pm during high season[/LIST]Looked interesting but it says 9:30 during high season! So I was wondering if Jan is not high season do they even offer this Mondays when I will be there! Any info is appreciated! Oh I will be there Jan 12th 2009![/quote]

"tourist" high season runs from around November or December through March or April. Everybody has their own definition of when high season is. Mainly, it's when it is cold "up north" and people want to get away to warmer places.

So they should be having the show at Escambron Beach Club in January.

Archived