Local place in OSJ for lunch or dinner or drinking $

txwildflower2002

El Jiberito on Calle del Sol is a good spot for lunch.

Good dinner spots include ...

* Baru on San Sebastian

* DragonFly on Fortaleza

* Barrachina on Fortaleza

* Luipi's on Recinto Sur

You don't need to worry about finding a "liquor store". Almost every store (Walgreens, SuperMax grocery store, etc) sells alcohol. Note that it's illegal to drink on the street.

If you just want to "walk around" Old San Juan, then our self-guided walking tour will take you past all the points of interest.

Hope this helps!

You don't need to worry about finding a "liquor store". Almost every store (Walgreens, SuperMax grocery store, etc) sells alcohol. Note that it's illegal to drink on the street.

Hey Ray: Do you know the name and location of a grocery store that's closest to Pier 4? I'll need to buy a 12-pack of Coke and maybe some pineapple juice.

There's a SuperMax grocery store on Plaza de Armas.

That would be on Calle Cruz, between Calles San Francisco and Fortaleza.

There's also a Walgreens on the corner of Calles Cruz and San Francisco.

Here's a map that should provide some orientation.

Plaza de Armas is an easy walk from the piers. No need to get a taxi (which would spend more time idling in traffic than driving).

Hope this helps!

As you get off the ship, and are strolling along the walkway towards OSJ, there is a small restaurant right there on the water (it's only been there a year or so). It's really close to the ship. You can eat inside or outside. It's inexpensive and good food.

El Jiberito on Calle del Sol is a good spot for lunch.

Good dinner spots include ...

* Baru on San Sebastian

* DragonFly on Fortaleza

* Barrachina on Fortaleza

* Luipi's on Recinto Sur

If you just want to "walk around" Old San Juan, then our self-guided walking tour will take you past all the points of interest.

Hope this helps!

Ray, I asked Coqui2007, but a 2nd opinion from a local never hurts... we'll be in SJ about 36 hours prior to boarding, staying at the Marriott Stelleris.... want to do Old SJ & Rain Forest .... think we should rent a car so we can see more of the island, or should be book a tour??? Appreciate your opinion.

Ray, I asked Coqui2007, but a 2nd opinion from a local never hurts... we'll be in SJ about 36 hours prior to boarding, staying at the Marriott Stelleris.... want to do Old SJ & Rain Forest .... think we should rent a car so we can see more of the island, or should be book a tour??? Appreciate your opinion.

Sounds like you'll have about a day or 1.5 days to see things.

I would plan to do the rain forest one day and OSJ the other day.

There's no real need to rent a car for OSJ. You'll only really use it to drive into the city and then you'll park. OSJ is only like 8 square blocks, so the best way to see anything is on foot (refer to our self-guided walking tour mentioned earlier in this thread).

You can hop a taxi from from the Marriott to OSJ for about $13.50 each way. So take that into consideration when you decide for how long you'll want to rent a car.

For the rain forest, I would definitely recommend renting a car versus taking an organized tour. First, you'll save a bundle. Second, you'll be able to do what you want on your own schedule. Third, you'll be able to see more of the rain forest.

Get to the rain forest early. It's about 1 - 1.5 hours drive from the Condado area. It's an easy drive (Route 26 to Route 66 to Route 3). We've provided directions in our overview of the rain forest. That same article has links to a trail map and descriptions of the various trails. We really like Angelito Trail and the Juan Diego Falls.

After the rain forest, you can spend the afternoon at Balneario Monserrate (Luquillo Beach). You can get some local food at the stands right at the beach or at the kiosks along Route 3 next to the beach.

On your return trip, you can either backtrack the way you came, or head back through Pinones where you can stop for dinner at some pretty good restaurants like The Waterfront or Soleil. From the Luquillo/rainforest area, head west on Route 3 until you get to the Belz Factory Outlet Mall. Instead of turning left for Route 66, turn right (north) and head toward Loiza. Look for an intersection with Road 187. Turn left (west) and you'll follow the ocean all the way back to Isla Verde. Along the way, you'll go through Pinones. Road 187 eventually turns into Road 37 in Isla Verde, which turns into Ashford Ave in the Condado.

Hope this helps!

Sounds like you'll have about a day or 1.5 days to see things.

I would plan to do the rain forest one day and OSJ the other day.

There's no real need to rent a car for OSJ. You'll only really use it to drive into the city and then you'll park. OSJ is only like 8 square blocks, so the best way to see anything is on foot (refer to our self-guided walking tour mentioned earlier in this thread).

You can hop a taxi from from the Marriott to OSJ for about $13.50 each way. So take that into consideration when you decide for how long you'll want to rent a car.

For the rain forest, I would definitely recommend renting a car versus taking an organized tour. First, you'll save a bundle. Second, you'll be able to do what you want on your own schedule. Third, you'll be able to see more of the rain forest.

Get to the rain forest early. It's about 1 - 1.5 hours drive from the Condado area. It's an easy drive (Route 26 to Route 66 to Route 3). We've provided directions in our overview of the rain forest. That same article has links to a trail map and descriptions of the various trails. We really like Angelito Trail and the Juan Diego Falls.

After the rain forest, you can spend the afternoon at Balneario Monserrate (Luquillo Beach). You can get some local food at the stands right at the beach or at the kiosks along Route 3 next to the beach.

On your return trip, you can either backtrack the way you came, or head back through Pinones where you can stop for dinner at some pretty good restaurants like The Waterfront or Soleil. From the Luquillo/rainforest area, head west on Route 3 until you get to the Belz Factory Outlet Mall. Instead of turning left for Route 66, turn right (north) and head toward Loiza. Look for an intersection with Road 187. Turn left (west) and you'll follow the ocean all the way back to Isla Verde. Along the way, you'll go through Pinones. Road 187 eventually turns into Road 37 in Isla Verde, which turns into Ashford Ave in the Condado.

Hope this helps!

Ray!!!!!!! this is EXACTLY the kind of information we were hoping for. Rental car it is!! And we've found TONS of info on puerto rico day trips dot com!!! Gonna be a fun trip!!

Dinah

Ray!!!!!!! this is EXACTLY the kind of information we were hoping for. Rental car it is!! And we've found TONS of info on puerto rico day trips dot com!!! Gonna be a fun trip!!

Dinah

Glad we could help.

Enjoy your visit!

There's a SuperMax grocery store on Plaza de Armas.

That would be on Calle Cruz, between Calles San Francisco and Fortaleza.

There's also a Walgreens on the corner of Calles Cruz and San Francisco.

Here's a map that should provide some orientation.

Plaza de Armas is an easy walk from the piers. No need to get a taxi (which would spend more time idling in traffic than driving).

Hope this helps!

Thanks Ray.... the info you provided will be a great help for me once I get to San Juan; I had a hard time finding it myself online. BTW, are you affiliated with any travel agencies? You're very thorough with your descriptions. Great job!

Thanks Ray.... the info you provided will be a great help for me once I get to San Juan; I had a hard time finding it myself online. BTW, are you affiliated with any travel agencies? You're very thorough with your descriptions. Great job!

Glad that you've found our posts helpful.

A travel agency? No.

We started our on-line travel guide as an easy way to provide our guests with things-to-do information when they stay with us near the rain forest. Then it became a natural way to answer common questions on travel forums like this one.

But what we really like is that it gives my wife and I a reason to go out and do things right in our own backyard. Things that, living here, we wouldn't otherwise do.

We make it a point to get out every couple of weeks and do something touristy so we have new stuff to write about for our guide. It gives us something fun to do, while providing our readers with honest, original, hands-on information that you won't find in other travel guides. We think it gives a better perspective than other guides that just copy an article out of a magazine or reiterate something that was posted on someone else's web site.

Thanks for the kind words.

There are no stores "around" the Pan Am pier. There is a duty-free shop inside the pier terminal building, between where you check-in for your cruise and the ship. They have the typical alcohol, etc. Don't remember if they have soda/water. Probably, but not 100% sure.

Ray - I have another question for you (thanks for all the help!). We are staying at the el Convento (one night pre-cruise).

You gave me ideas for dinners, and I have been looking at the hotel website ... they list El Picoteo, which sounds as if it has a lot of interesting different types of food than is found in Bangor, Maine (which is what I am looking for).

Now for the first question. Being "tourists" we normally life our vacations in shorts/tops. The one and only time I've been in OSJ, I noticed how lovely people dress (I really saw some really cool shoes!!). Is this a restaurant that people dress in the evening (more than shorts)? Should I plan on DH wearing slacks? (sorry if I seem foolish, I just like planning!).

Second and last question ... breakfast the next day ... looking for something that again gives a flavor of the area. It could be nothing more than a "take out".

I do hope you understand my questions, thanks in advance for any help from anyone. Jan

Ray - I have another question for you (thanks for all the help!). We are staying at the el Convento (one night pre-cruise).

You gave me ideas for dinners, and I have been looking at the hotel website ... they list El Picoteo, which sounds as if it has a lot of interesting different types of food than is found in Bangor, Maine (which is what I am looking for).

Now for the first question. Being "tourists" we normally life our vacations in shorts/tops. The one and only time I've been in OSJ, I noticed how lovely people dress (I really saw some really cool shoes!!). Is this a restaurant that people dress in the evening (more than shorts)? Should I plan on DH wearing slacks? (sorry if I seem foolish, I just like planning!).

Second and last question ... breakfast the next day ... looking for something that again gives a flavor of the area. It could be nothing more than a "take out".

I do hope you understand my questions, thanks in advance for any help from anyone. Jan

IMO ... we live here ... I go everywhere in shorts and flip-flops (except the tax office and police station, where they chase you away if you're in shorts) ... because I really don't care.

Blond hair + green eyes = "touristo" here ... besides ... it's really hot here ... I don't see how people wear jeans!

Anyway ...

I've never been turned away from a restaurant, even ones that claim to have a "dress code".

Now, the places in El Convento are more "pricey", so you may see other touristos more dressed up ... maybe long pants and a short-sleeve button shirt.

For breakfast ... the typical "local" breakfast is either sliced ham (lunch meat) + cheddar cheese on "pan de agua", or what we like to call "cheese smear" (cheese whiz) on "pan de agua".

Most people will say that the typical breakfast is a mallorca (sweet roll topped with lots of powdered sugar).

Go to La Bombonera at #259 Calle San Francisco for local pastries and STRONG PR coffee ... and you'll be set.

Hope this helps!

Hello, Jan...six of us are also staying at El Convento (in December) and made dinner reservations at El Picoteo (trying to time it AFTER the complimentary wine and cheese party. Btw: the rooftop pool will be great at sunset!) We researched the surrounding area and located all the restaurants, bars, attractions and stores that we could find online (including all the places along the length of Calle Cristo St and in order!) In case it's not clear already; I'm not the type to wander around aimlessly!

We listed most of the main streets and plazas on our bestbuds mini-website (see signature line below), including places of interest, hotels and bars (a restaurant listing--including La Bombonera bakery--starts on page 43) and then added lots of photos and maps on the last few pages (about pg 70-74, I think).

Originally I did the research just for us but then we built the website for our friends who cruise with us...it puts a lot of very helpful cruisecritic information all in one place!!! It may be a bit overwhelming to some, but you might just like it too...

Lynne & Bill --- WOW, don't know what else to say, what an amazing site. I am so impressed ... It will take forever to read everything ... thanks so much, you have made my winter reading!!! Jan

PS - I didn't even think about making reservations (well, not now for next August, but perhaps in May!)

IMO ... we live here ... I go everywhere in shorts and flip-flops (except the tax office and police station, where they chase you away if you're in shorts) ... because I really don't care.

Blond hair + green eyes = "touristo" here ... besides ... it's really hot here ... I don't see how people wear jeans!

Anyway ...

I've never been turned away from a restaurant, even ones that claim to have a "dress code".

Now, the places in El Convento are more "pricey", so you may see other touristos more dressed up ... maybe long pants and a short-sleeve button shirt.

For breakfast ... the typical "local" breakfast is either sliced ham (lunch meat) + cheddar cheese on "pan de agua", or what we like to call "cheese smear" (cheese whiz) on "pan de agua".

Most people will say that the typical breakfast is a mallorca (sweet roll topped with lots of powdered sugar).

Go to La Bombonera at #259 Calle San Francisco for local pastries and STRONG PR coffee ... and you'll be set.

Hope this helps!

la bombonera! That is the bakery!

Frommer's Review

This place offers exceptional value in its homemade pastries, well-stuffed sandwiches, and endless cups of coffee -- and it has done so since 1902. Its atmosphere evokes turn-of-the-20th-century Castille transplanted to the New World. The food is authentically Puerto Rican, homemade, and inexpensive, with regional dishes such as rice with squid, roast leg of pork, and seafood asopao. For dessert, you might select an apple, pineapple, or prune pie, or one of many types of flan. Service is polite, if a bit rushed, and the place fills up quickly at lunchtime.

10Best EDITOR REVIEW:

OLD SAN JUAN. For over 100 years the scent of rich tazas and mallorcas (kind of like a flattened Danish with melted butter inside, powdered sugar outside) has been luring locals and tourists alike past the front window display case, and through its doors. Though often crowded, it is well worth a trip both for breakfast and lunch or dinner. Homestyle Puerto Rican cuisine featuring asopao, a gumbo/stew that is the local soul food, rice with squid, flans and pies are a delight to the palate and easy on the wallet.

Ray, we will be in SJU for 3 days prior to our cruise 1/19/09. We are staying at the Coral Princess.

Is it going to be crazy in OSJ during that weekend? or is it going to be like a normal weekend? I am excited about being there during a festival, but maybe I am expecting something more than it is.

I'm trying to decide if we are going to want to plan on spending day and night in OSJ or if we should plan on some other activities.

We love SJU and hope to find a place to rent there for a few months every year after we retire.

Love this place...Try to sit at the counter if you can...great entertainment.

Only problem we had was language...I believe our 1st morning we had a mallorca with ham & swiss inside...it was great!

I am not sure what we got the second morning, not the sweet bun for sure.

Archived