Roll Call for GCT Egypt on 10/14/08

schlansky

We've traveled with Grand Circle and OAT many, many times so we know it will be a great trip. We booked too late for the Abu Simbel optional, but will try to find a tour we can get on once we get to Aswan. We saw something on viator.com. Do you remember how long you spent in Aswan and if anyone in your group went independently?

Marilyn

We were on this tour this past January. There wouldn't be time to drive to Abu Simbel. You fly out very early in the morning and get back to the boat around 11:30 a.m. I think I remember the boat leaving early afternoon. With our cruise though several people cancelled so maybe if that happens on your trip you could take their spot. They are not as strict traveling within the country when you fly and when flying overseas. We didn't even check in. Our tour directors got our boarding passes for us and then we went through a very lax security and boarded the plane. It was a 45 minute flight I believe. It was one of the highlights of our trip. Hope you can go.

Cheryl

I sort of suspected this, because this particular trip is a reverse itinerary, but your suggestion is a good one. It's pricey to fly, but an Egypt buff friend of ours says it's not to be missed.

Marilyn

Abu Simbel is definitely worth the cost.

We've traveled with Grand Circle and OAT many, many times so we know it will be a great trip. We booked too late for the Abu Simbel optional, but will try to find a tour we can get on once we get to Aswan. We saw something on viator.com. Do you remember how long you spent in Aswan and if anyone in your group went independently?

Hi Schlansky: We are booked for GCT Egypt trip for April 18th. We recently received a letter from them advising us that the Abu Simbel trip is now by bus. I was disappointed because the bus trip is three hours and I assumed that we would be leaving early in the morning. I am not upset about the hour, just disappointed that we will be spending about 6 hours in a bus when the plane ride takes 45 minutes. They said it was so that more people can go on the trip. I wonder when this change goes into effect. You might want to call them and ask about the change. When I inqured if we should book early - they told me that now we can book the trip on site. I am still wondering if we aren't safer booking now....:confused: . That is one optional I don't want to miss.

Ronnie

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to take so long to reply. We've just moved from NY to Mass. and we're still living out of boxes. GCT will switch to the bus option in 1/09 because it's cheaper, but it doesn't do us any good. I will say, though,that we went to Morocco with OAT last January and the 3 days spent in the Sahara were incredibly beautiful, so I personally would have no trouble looking at the desert again for several hours. You may also possibly get to spend more time at the site with the bus option. The flying option leaves you with only about an hour there.

Archived