Dara Torres at Fashion Week

GORDONCHICK

At first I wished she had on something that showed more of her body but then realized she was dressed to "fit" her body.

The v-neck elongated the head and neck area while showing some feminimity. If the shirt had been shorter and strait, she would have looked straight out of the 80's with the big shoulder pads. The full shirt balances out her shoulders perfectly.

Back in July (I think--I'm still catching up on very old dvr'd shows:o ) What Not To Wear had a US swimmer on the show--Tara Kirk. She has a great body, of course, but had real issues trying to dress her athletic build (dresses not fitting her traps & triceps--I had to laugh, a problem I'll never have:p ) They did a very nice job pointing out tailoring (fit the largest part of your body--usually shoulders for a swimmer--and tailor the rest to fit) and then balance--fuller skirts to balance the shoulders, no deep v-necks because they make the shoulders look wider as well, etc. Cute puffy short sleeve shirts mask the true size of your arm, unlike a cap sleeve that cuts off the arm and/or makes it look huge....Some tricks like adding a button & loop or a slit to a short sleeve if you need a little more space.

Archived