West End, West Bay and Fosters, Half Moon ??

39august

Am I correct that West Bay is where Half Moon bay is and the shopping area? And that West End is the looong white beach with all the hotels? I was there in April and can't remember. Also, can anyone comment on the beach/shade and snorkeling at Foster's? Is Half Moon snorkeling better?

Am I correct that West Bay is where Half Moon bay is and the shopping area? And that West End is the looong white beach with all the hotels? I was there in April and can't remember. Also, can anyone comment on the beach/shade and snorkeling at Foster's? Is Half Moon snorkeling better?

Other way around.

West End is the community with the dirt road running through it along the waterside, with a bunch of little shops, small restaurants, bars, etc. The main bay there (right where the paved road ends & the dirt road begins) is Half Moon Bay. There is a small beach area there.

West Bay is the long, beautiful, white sandy beach lined with palm trees, with a few larger, fancier hotels.

Which has the better snorkeling is debatable. The reef is easier to access at West Bay, where it virtually comes to the shore at one end. But imho the snorkeling is as beautiful out at the opening of Half Moon Bay. I think the reef is healthier there because it takes a little more effort to swim to it (less novice snorkelers banging the reef & damaging it).

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Roatan from a 4 day trip. I snorkeled in both Half Moon Bay and West Bay Beach. Yes, both are beautiful and you won't be disappointed with either one. However, Half Moon is a little ways out if you are a beginner, not bad at all if you are a novice.

West Bay was so easy and if you go to the far left against the hill where the beach ends, you will find the best snorkeling I have ever seen in my opinion. The varying terrain under the water is mind blowing! It was beautiful. I have snorkeled tons of places and found this to be the most interesting spot.

Bay Islands Beach resort is also very good. You can buy a day pass for a low rate and use their facilities as well, I believe. Easy access by taxi to their resort.

• 3 months later...

We just returned from a port of call in Roatan and can say that we thought this stop was the best out of 4 ports of call on our cruise.

We did the ziplining and then headed over to the beach for the day.

The locals were really nice, the beach was CLEAN, and had lots of tropical foliage along the beach.

A lady was walking around offering massages for $20 for 30 minutes. Two women massaged my body at the same time. Pretty good deal!

We had beers and fish taco's.

Food quality was excellent, as was the service and the cleanliness of the bathrooms and beach area.

Our driver didn't pay anything to get in, so I'm assuming it was free.

We also got two free drink passes, each.

2157374340054487361S425x425Q85.jpg2718282610054487361S425x425Q85.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned from a port of call in Roatan and can say that we thought this stop was the best out of 4 ports of call on our cruise.

We did the ziplining and then headed over to the beach for the day.

The locals were really nice, the beach was CLEAN, and had lots of tropical foliage along the beach.

A lady was walking around offering massages for $20 for 30 minutes. Two women massaged my body at the same time. Pretty good deal!

We had beers and fish taco's.

Food quality was excellent, as was the service and the cleanliness of the bathrooms and beach area.

Our driver didn't pay anything to get in, so I'm assuming it was free.

We also got two free drink passes, each.

2157374340054487361S425x425Q85.jpg2718282610054487361S425x425Q85.jpg

Did you have your own driver? Was it a private tour or a ship tour?

Archived