Will They Hold The Ship?

mandms40

The OP said they were using Carnival's Fly Away program.. the blame if they miss the ship is Carnival's. Depending on how many people don't make it in time it will be very expensive for Carnival to put them all up and then fly them to the first stop.

i really hope all work s out..:confused:

it was very nice of your company to do this for it s

employee s..hopefully, after hearing about the situation

they ll intervene with the TA and work things out..

it would just be horrible, and news worthy should you

folks be stranded at the pier watching the ship sail into

the sunset..

id let your employer know immediatly about the arrival

time of the flights..some may make it..but, again many

may not..

The OP said they were using Carnival's Fly Away program.. the blame if they miss the ship is Carnival's. Depending on how many people don't make it in time it will be very expensive for Carnival to put them all up and then fly them to the first stop.

I will go to greater detail...

Our company, bought us all a cruise, includes everything but the drinks, flights and all, they went thru a travel agent, not to be named, that lives in another state...they are booking everything, cruise, flights, transfers, everything.

We have alot of employees, there are 4 different dates that we could pick from, on my date, we have about 120 people going(including spouses)

We have no say so as to when we fly, they are doing all the booking. We are on the 2nd cruise, Well, the first cruise came out(flight info) today, alot dont arrive in Miami until 2:00pm. To me, that is cutting it way too close.

I am holding my breath for the 2nd cruise info to come out, something tells me, we wont get in until then either.

Whats your take on this?

I'm not sure that OP's company is using the Fly Away program. They only said that it is through a TA. We usually save $100 or more per person by booking our own air. It's possible that the company is saving tens of thou$and$ by not using the program. Or the agency may be making a better profit by avoiding the program costs and booking individual flights.

To mandms40: I would find out if they are using the Fly Away program for sure. If so it may be possible for you to pay a deviation fee and get an earlier flight. If you can go a day early, so much the better.

As always--Good Luck,

Charlie

If Carnival will hold up the ship when an excursion (booked through Carnival) is late getting back to port, I would think they would do the same if the 120 late passengers were on a flight booked by Carnival. The important thing is finding out if the flight was booked separately or through Carnival.

Our first cruise was the one time we flew in the same day but our flight landed at 8 am in the morning, so we had plenty of time to get to the ship which was only 15 minutes away. On future cruises we plan to fly in a day or two early.

Good Luck!

mandms40 -

Assuming the airtravel was booked with Carnival and thru a Travel Agency, I'd insist on the TA complaining to Carnival about the stressful, close timing and confirm whether or not Carnival holds the ship in this situation and what responsibility Carnival acknowledges for getting you to the ship on time. I would also pressure the TA into insisting that Carnival change the flights. since you have a large group and hopefully a TA that wants your Company's continued travel business, you should have some leverage here.

If EVERYONE agrees, you could ask TA to book a pre-cruise day in Miami, which would solve the issue but cost the company (wishfully) or each employee (more likely) a couple hundred $$$ extra for the pre-cruise package and meals. Bue a MUCH more enjoyable trip!

Everyone could buy trip insurance (for cruise and airfare) for the possibility of missing the ship due to late connection, but you still would lose a day or so of "catching-up to the ship". Again, cost the company (wishfully) or each employee (more likely) maybe a hundred $$$ extra.

Having said all this, since the entire booking is with Carnival (?) and includes Airport to Terminal transfers (?) I'm betting that Carnival will tell you that they'll hold the ship (a reasonable time) in this situation. Carnival routinely boards passenger at the last second, so the "1 hour departure rule" is not cast in concrete. I'd consider EVERYONE only carrying airline carry-on luggage so as to eliminate the wait for baggage at the airport.

I would NEVER book airfare with Carnival, because you're not in control of the airline you're flying with, the schedule, the number of connections, etc.

ken

Hi all,

Thank you for all the advise, I called the Cruise people and asked if it would be possible to be booked on Sunday, the day before the cruise, they were checking to find out if it was ok with everyone, I should get a call tomorrow to tell me if we can do this, since our employer is still playing for it, we will just be responsible for the hotel.

I can give my personal experience. Long story short:

Fly Aweigh flight scheduled to arrive in Miami at 2pm. I called my PVP, worried this didn't give us enough time. She said "we would not book you on a flight that was too late. Don't worry".

Flights delayed, ended up landing in Miami AFTER 3:00, which is listed as the last time to board ship. I was FRANTIC.

Carnival rep was waiting for us and 20 others on fly aweigh for the Triumph and Freedom.

Bus arrived at the pier at 3:50, all passengers boarded both ships and happlily sailed away.

Now, if my flight had been delayed by several hours, would we have made the ship = I think not.

With such a large group, I would want something better, but if you already have your air confirmation, your cruise is obviously pretty soon. If you try to change flights, good luck. If not, just relax and go with the flow. Hopefully all goes well :)

I can give my personal experience. Long story short:

Fly Aweigh flight scheduled to arrive in Miami at 2pm. I called my PVP, worried this didn't give us enough time. She said "we would not book you on a flight that was too late. Don't worry".

Flights delayed, ended up landing in Miami AFTER 3:00, which is listed as the last time to board ship. I was FRANTIC.

Carnival rep was waiting for us and 20 others on fly aweigh for the Triumph and Freedom.

Bus arrived at the pier at 3:50, all passengers boarded both ships and happlily sailed away.

Now, if my flight had been delayed by several hours, would we have made the ship = I think not.

With such a large group, I would want something better, but if you already have your air confirmation, your cruise is obviously pretty soon. If you try to change flights, good luck. If not, just relax and go with the flow. Hopefully all goes well :)

When was your cruise on the Triumph? This 60 minute rule is relatively new.

I wish I could find that post from the person who was at the ship before it sailed but they refused to let them board, citing the 60 minute rule.

Hopefully you'll get your flights changed to the day before and won't have to worry.

Whatever happens I wish the OP luck and a great cruise.:)

Bill

I just wanted to let everyone know that I talked to my boss, and the TA and both said is was ok to fly out on Sunday instead of Monday(day of Cruise), it cost me 50.00 per person to deviate from the rest of the group, but I dont care,

I will be there before everyone else.

I wanted to thank everyone on this web site, you guys are great, nice knowing that you can get advise when you need it.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I talked to my boss, and the TA and both said is was ok to fly out on Sunday instead of Monday(day of Cruise), it cost me 50.00 per person to deviate from the rest of the group, but I dont care,

I wanted to thank everyone on this web site, you guys are great, nice knowing that you can get advise when you need it.

That was the smartest move ever and now your stress level should be back to normal. There is a 98% chance of missing the ship on that day due to lost luggage, flight delays or plane maintenance. This past April we had a broke plane in Dallas and we was rerouted back onboard our original flight, the plane left on time but without our luggage. Luckly we flew in 2 days prior to cruise date and waited for the next flight from Dallas to arrive with our luggage.

Have a great cruise

Fred

I was considering a flight that would arrive at Fort Lauderdale at 12:55 pm for a cruise that was departing from Miami. When I called Carnival to set up my transfers and to see if it would be enough time they strongly urged me to book an earlier flight to be on the safe side since you never know what delays there might be. I don't think I'd like to be worried about if I'm actually going to make the ship on time...what a stressful way to start a vacation. It would take at least 4 DOD's to de-stress :p

Please update us on how you and the rest of your party make out after your cruise. Looks like you'll be fine now but interested to hear what happens to the rest of the party.

Money well spent! You definitely made the correct decision.

hypo

My question is, my flight gets into Miami at 2:00, ship leaves at 4:00, will they wait?

Going on a group cruise and are using fly away thru Carnival...will they hold the ship?

Getting paranoid about all this!!!

I thought that if you booked flight with Carnival they would hold the ship.... guess i got wrong info. but i have been on ships that were held for only 2 couples....guess they had great connections

I thought that if you booked flight with Carnival they would hold the ship.... guess i got wrong info. but i have been on ships that were held for only 2 couples....guess they had great connections

Tell that to the bus load of passengers that saw their ship sail away on one sunny Sunday morning.

Fred

On our first cruise we flew in the same day. Let me tell you I have never been more of a WRECK! ALL day it was like...WHAT WAS I THINKING....trying to get from the midwest (anyplace) to Miami to catch this boat with teh small window of opportunity!!!! I gotta be freaking nuts!

This was the DAY AFTER our wedding, I needed a light de-stressful day and I ended up frantic...Frantic I tell you everytime there was the slightest delay.....departure delayed a bit, mechanical.....arrival delayed a bit, traffic at the terminal..Luggage delayed, overloaded belt....bus delayed overloaded....

YIKES>>>>>>never never never again...we now always fly in the day before....

I relax...read...watch movies....not the clock!

enjoy...great decision!!

You'll have to tell us how it goes for all the suckas that didn't pay the deviation fee :D Very wise move.

Even driving to port, you never know if there will be traffic delays, car trouble etc. I live about 7-10 hours from California ports and I drive there the day before and get to the port in the morning. I would rather be sitting at the terminal for 4 hours then take a chance on having car trouble, flat tire, car accident you name it. Stress level would be thru the roof. I want the "I'm on vacation" smile kick back attitude when I board that ship. I'm not going to stress about getting there on time cuz I know I'll be one of the first people sitting at the port watching all the rest of the people getting off the ship. Trust me, you made the right decision.

We are flying in from Tulsa, some are landing in Fort Lauderdale, some are in Miami, they have everyone on different flights, which is worse.

I think what I am going to do, when our schedule comes out, if I dont get in until 2:00, I will book my own airfare, the day before, I DONT WANT TO MISS THE SHIP!

I will keep everyone updated, These Travel Agents are suppose to be flying in Sept. 25 with all the details, and believe me, I will inform them of the timeline.

A few years back, we had or family reunion on a Carnival ship. Everyone got the air package with Carnival. Carnival split the group with half flying into Fort Lauderdale and half into Miami. My parents were on the Fort Lauderdale flight.

When they arrived at the airport, they had to wait for another large group also on their ship. Mind you that my mother was talking to her sister who was on the Miami flight and was on the ship. They didn't leave until these 20 people flight came. When they arrived on the ship, they were just announcing the start of the drill. My parents and my other relatives were very stress and upset because of this. The next time my parents went on a cruise, they purchased their own airfare.

There have been some threads where boats left late because a large number of people were just arriving from the airport, but not often.

I know that some people say blame the ta, but I say blame Carnival. They are going for the cheapest seats they can get. The reason I say this is the Memphis to Miami flight had quite a few open seats (I work for an airline. I didn't go on the cruise because I couldn't get off and I check the number of people on the Miami flight and it was about 20 seats open) yet half were placed on Fort Lauderdale.

I thought that if Carnival booked your flight, that they would wait. I know its hard not to stress out, but I would have stayed with the original flight. However, when I book myself, I definitely book my flight for the day before (L.A. to Miami). Anyway, what's done is done, so don't worry and have a great time.;)

I thought that if Carnival booked your flight, that they would wait.

That's a myth. They make no guarantees that they will wait. Sometimes they do, but other times they don't. It depends on the number of people delayed, how much it will cost them if they leave late (depends on the port), tide schedules, how long it will take to get to the next port, if the Captain is in a good mood or a bad mood that day, etc

Archived