Anyone else NOT really drink on a cruise?

JenaMH

We are not alcohol drinkers regardless of where we are or what we are doing. I will say there have been times on cruises that people looked at us like we were drunk because we were having "too good of a time".

Why is it that being silly and having a good time = drunk?!?:p

We are really not big drinkers of mixed drinks and that goes doubly on a cruise. DH wondered outloud how people can afford to just drink when we were on the Sky back in October! I think this past cruise we drank more than we ever have due to the fact that we had a bottle of champagne upon arrival to our suite, another one because I had purchase the romance package, a bottle of wine at LeBistro (came with the romance package) and we bought the beer bucket on GSC. While we did pay for all of the drinks in some way, the only one that was on our shipboard bill was the $22 for the beer.

wow. looks like more than i thought were non drinkers. i just cant justify paying that much for drinks. it adds up fast.
i feel the same way....

I'm thinking about bringing a couple of bottles of wine on board with me, this time... just so I can have a glass of wine every now and then....

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all!

We don't drink, smoke or gamble (due to our faith); I don't have any problem at all with others doing so. I do need my tea and hot chocolate, though!

I used to be a psychiatric technician. What I saw and dealt with as a psych tech really turned me off alcohol and gambling; it can be a very slippery slope...

I was very impressed that there were AA meetings on Carnival Triumph. I can see how working, or traveling for that matter, on a ship would be a very challenging place to maintain your sobriety.

No big drinkers here, either. I never drink at home, maybe a glass of wine on a holiday, but for me, it's not worth the calories. I might get one or two on a cruise, but that's about it. It always boggles my mind when I am reading the threads about people trying to smuggle alcohol on board. I guess they really have to drink for one reason or another.

I may have one or two drinks on a week long cruise. Hubby doesn't drink at all. We don't do it with the intention of saving money though. Drinking is just not part of our lifestyle. :)

I agree totally with this quote. The urge really has to strike me and it only seems to strike about once or twice a year. I would totally expect the urge to strike during a cruise but it really does not happen.

The LAST thing I want to do on a cruise is to be holed up in my room babying a hangover.

While on the subject of drinking, I once decided to take a cruise on March Break. Never again will I make that mistake.

We barely drink on cruises. Generally just the free champagne at embarkation, the free drinks at the past-cruiser party, and maybe a drink by the pool at sailaway, but the rest of the time, nope.

And it has nothing to do with the pricing. It has everything to do with just not needing it. Sure, I like a drink as much as the next girl, but when we're on a cruise, we try to be active (well, in port we do) and drinking tends to slow us down.

My family of 4---myself, husband, and two daughters--19 and 24 don't drink at all. But we're the first up on the dance floor and the first to participate in everything. (husband and I did all of our drinking in our younger days...) Not drinking has never stopped us from having fun, and it sure helps with getting up the next morning, keeping the final bill down, and remembering everything!

• 2 weeks later...

i'm not a drinker - hubby doesn't drink at all - but i do like a "miami vice" one or two times on the cruise... maybe a glass or two of white wine........... but some cruises i have nothing................ money isn't the issue - they water down the drinks and we pay double price ! but just the idea of having a nice frozen miami vice as ship is leaving is soooooooooo cruisish !

I do not drink on cruises. As someone who suffers from migraines - one drinks leaves me with a horrible headache (hangover without the enjoyment).

We usually get the kids unlimited sodas so I make them share. :)

In the past, my husband and father have taken turns by a bottle of wine at dinner for the table and sometimes has a drink here and there.

There is sooo much to do I do not miss drinking. Plus it gives me more money to spend on other things - like clothes, collectibles, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going on my first cruise in exactly 3 weeks (yay!). And I've been reading a lot on the forums lately - today I'm starting to come up with a packing list, figure out what I still need to buy.

Anyway, I have never been much of a drinker (last alcohol I had was probablty a year or two ago). For one thing, I'm very picky when it comes to food/drinks, so I only drink milk and water (and the occasional chocolate milkshake, lol). The only alcohol I've had is a mudslide or similar drink - basically your alcoholic milkshake!

Also, I have no desire to drink so much alcohol that I don't remember my evening and have a hangover and throw up. The most I've been affected was a little buzz after drinking a glass of Kahlua milkshake my SIL in made. It was a fun feeling, but I didn't feel like I need any more than that.

Anyway, I saw online a menu from a Carnival Splendor cruise and saw that they have a mudslide. I plan one having one of those on the cruise, but that will more likely than not be the extent of my drinking.

We don't drink anywhere any time. So, drinks on a cruise are not tempting to us. I have my hot mug along with me for tea, and my cold mug for water. Guess we are pretty boring, huh???:cool:

I would not say that at all. You could be extremely interesting and high energy.

I really like to do some high-energy things on my vacations (I am the nut who thinks a zipline tour through a rainforest is a good idea). I figure that I cannot climb ladders, dive, or do anything truly fun if I have been sipping away on the umbrella drinks.

I do the same with ski vacations. NO DRINKING! :)

I think we might have ordered a drink or two on our cruises. We do not drink much at home or on our cruises. I have been known to bring some drink aboard so that I can make my own fresh Margarita (cannot handle the mix and Mezcal that most bars/cruise ships offer) as a late afternoon drink on the balcony - but that is all.

I average 2 alcoholic drinks per cruise. I prefer my diet soda and bring plenty of it with me to keep in the cabin and to take on shore excursions.

I really have never understood why people drink? IMHO, it really doesn't taste very good, unless you add enough sweet/fruity stuff. Can anyone really say that they LIKE the taste of beer...come on, think back to your 1st beer. Did take a swallow and say, "WOW, that was the best thing I have ever tasted!!" or did you make yourself like it over time? I'm just curious cause' even the smell of it gags me.

I guess I am weird enough without booze! I am super happy, bubbly and slightly hyper and alcohol just makes me sleepy so I generally pass on it. I thank my stars that I can have a good time without it.

Now give me a slot machine.........

Also not much of a drinker - DH will only drink wine, and we usually bring a bottle or two from home to share with friends. Well... let me rephrase. He has been known to down a bottle or two of tequila in his day - but not anymore. And I have never been much of a drinker - I might have one or two mixed drinks over the course of a week, and even that is a lot.

Now - oddly enough - we have an affinity for buying alcohol when we are away in ports of call. And if you saw our alcohol collection you would laugh - we are NOT drinkers - and I can pretty much date exactly which party and which cruise we purchased each bottle from/for. ;)

Diet Coke is our real vice. Thank goodness for unlimited soda cards! :) Like others, I've never gotten dirty looks for using them.

I was so excited on my first cruise that I had two "umbrella drinks" before the ship left the port. I slowed down after that by having maybe one to three more the rest of the week. I was hooked on Yellow Birds. My friend drank mostly Diet Pepsi. Our bar bills at the end of the week: Mine was $19 and my friend's was less than $5. My later cruises never went past $25-$30. I drink soda at the pool and while in ports.

I really have never understood why people drink? IMHO, it really doesn't taste very good, unless you add enough sweet/fruity stuff. Can anyone really say that they LIKE the taste of beer...come on, think back to your 1st beer. Did take a swallow and say, "WOW, that was the best thing I have ever tasted!!" or did you make yourself like it over time? I'm just curious cause' even the smell of it gags me.

I too dislike the taste of beer. To me, the best thing to do with beer is to make a cheddar cheese fondue! Very easy and OMG YUM! You dont really taste beer, just a wonderful, full flavor. Alas, not very good for those on a diet.

I don't drink at all, so I'm excited about the X cruise. I hear it's not as crazy as carnival, which I've always cruised on.

Looking forward to a more laid back cruise.

Some of those people are crazy, crazy drinkers and I think unsafe for them also on a ship.

And, little kids should not be seeing all that stuff anyway.

God Bless ya'll and happy cruising!!

angelafaye

Archived