Anyone else NOT really drink on a cruise?

JenaMH

Ten days Panama Canal Transit. One cocktail on the last night. Unless booze is an integral part of one's life, it is verrry difficult to justify.

Hard (heck, for me, impossible, to justify the exorbitant prices for a drink onboard.) We took some packets of crystal light lemonade, and enjoyed that as much as anything.

And, no, I'm not anti booze at all. I have over $500 worth of rare whiskey in my basement. I just seek value in everything I do. Booze on board does is not value to me. If it is to others, fantastic, enjoy yourselficon7.gif.

Just my $0.02.

Glad to see this thread. While I do drink, it is more a social thing and usually only one drink a day. There are a lot of threads on here that advise you how to go about sneaking alcohol onto the ship. I can't believe how much alcohol some people bring for a seven day cruise. I have never taken alcohol on any land vacation, don't understand the appeal of drinking so much on a cruise and then eating so much rich food and dealing with the motion of the ship. My head and stomach could not handle it.

Me: Wine with dinner, brandy afterwards, often single malt whisky in the cigar lounge in the evening.

DW: Wine with dinner, port afterwards.

Both: Cold beer on a hot day, hot toddy on a cold day, whatever feels right!

Don't drink in the mornings, usually not in the afternoons, either. Don't often drink at home, but make up for lost time on a cruise! Buzzed, perhaps. Drunk, never. Well, rarely. ;)

I've never cared for the taste of alchohol so I never did. My husband would rarely have a drink of wine, but we just don't drink alchohol. Now I've been diagnosed with a liver disease and can't touch the stuff if I wanted to. It does save money not buying drinks, but I'll spend it on other things.

Kerrie:)

My DH enjoys a couple of beers by the pool and a few drinks after dinner. I don't like alcohol much, and hardly ever drink at home. On a cruise I enjoy an occasional glass of champagne, but mainly drink the fruity non alcoholic cocktails. That's one of the fun parts of the cruise - seeing if there are any new ones!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't drink. I save my calories for chocolate. But my husband loves cocktails. He's a bit fanatical about researching classic and historic drinks, and different ways to mix different drinks.

Bar tenders on cruises are usually thrilled to find someone who appreciates the more arcane drinks, and who doesn't get blotto at all drinking them. And I like sitting and soaking up the atmosphere. So our drinks bill has been quite high in the past.

But our last cruise, and our upcoming one are on Regent where all but some really high level drinks (and expensive wines, which he doesn't drink) are free. My husband is happy not to get the evil eye from me when he sits around trying 3 versions of some drink that no one's made since 1932, and I'm happy that he's having fun.

I add in the price of drinks when I compare cruise costs and Regent came in cheaper than some other allegedly lower priced lines for us.

• 1 month later...

We drink ice water, tonic with lime, ice tea, lemonade,and ice coffees.

On some cruise lines in the buffet restaurant, we mix half lemonade and

half ice tea for a very tasty drink. For dinner we usually order special

bottled waters.

We are not big drinkers but do plan to have a DOD on our Carnival Cruise. Mabye one each day. I am going to ask them just to use 1/2 of the normal alcohol that would go into one. Then after that, just the non-alc. frozen smoothies. With dinner perhaps a glass of wine. That's about it. I cannot drink alcohol in the sun, it makes me ill. I can't see how some people can drink large amounts of alcohol and sit it the sun all day. Anyway, We will probably take a 12 pk of Red-bull energy drinks on board for my BF and I will just buy a gatoraide, diet pop or a bottle of water on board each day and stick to the iced-tea on the Lido as well.

Great thread BTW. Cari & Rick in Indy.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived