A Legendary week Aug 31-sept 7th

bakechef

Hi Ascott! We would love to have you join the Looter thread for this cruise. We are just a group that has been chatting and My party will be with you in Coz at Paradise and we are going with Cinthia and Dianne to the Mayan Princess in Roatan. Our group has folks from both coasts, and in between and also Canada. We are going to have a meet soon after embarkation.

Great review of both the cruise and Savannah. I also love Savannah and am lucky enough to live about 45 minutes from there.

You will have to forgive your guide for her bad reviews of the lady and sons. You see most of our grandmothers cook the same type of food just better.

Wonderful review! You have an unique way of taking pictures from different angles and zoom...I'm going to try to remember some of them for our October cruise:)

Join us in the photo discussion area, there are some expert photographers that are giving some great advise. There are "classes" on how to take pictures under certain conditions, and advise on setting up a shot! You can join any of the classes any time. These are for people with both basic point and shoot cameras and more advanced SLRs, I have learned a ton from them!

My indoor shots were all shot with NO flash!

MAC

Great review of both the cruise and Savannah. I also love Savannah and am lucky enough to live about 45 minutes from there.

You will have to forgive your guide for her bad reviews of the lady and sons. You see most of our grandmothers cook the same type of food just better.

Well in all fairness I am a yankee! The food at the lady and son's was good, but I would understand that there are lots of better places. I want to try Mrs. Wilkes the next time that I am down there.

I help moderate a food network fans forum, and I couldn't go to Savannah without eating at the Lady and Sons!:p

MAC

Wonderful review.. bought back so many memories. We cruised the Legend in 07. Had a ball. Loved your review of Savannah also. Yeah, I do the Lady and Sons just because I'm a Food Network watcher too. Paula's seems to be fun and down to earth.

Thanks again for the most wonderful photos and for sharing your experience

Wonderful review.. bought back so many memories. We cruised the Legend in 07. Had a ball. Loved your review of Savannah also. Yeah, I do the Lady and Sons just because I'm a Food Network watcher too. Paula's seems to be fun and down to earth.

Thanks again for the most wonderful photos and for sharing your experience

Savannah is awesome! I want to go back when it is not so hot and see more!

MAC

Enjoyed your review, and you have some REALLY great pics of the ship. We will be on the Legend in Feb.........seems like a long time off........

Glad you liked Savannah.......we stayed there for 5 days, and couldn't see everything we wanted.............

Great review. Any more info about the food? The soups, perhaps??

Thank, you.

I really didn't get anything that I didn't care for. I had the french onion soup, it was very nice. I also had a couple of the chilled soups, think melted ice cream but a bit less sweet.

The menu featured Caesar salad, fresh fruit, shrimp cocktail, flat iron steak, grilled chicken, baby back ribs, and warm chocolate melting cake every night. There were also a selection of ice cream and sherbets if you wanted something light for dessert. A choice of potato is always available, baked, mashed or french fries. Steamed vegetables were ordered every night by my tablemates.

One evening there is a pork chop on the menu, and if you like pork, please give this a try, just like last year it was thick, juicy and perfectly seasoned. There was a 1/2 chicken entree that was very good. There is also a bowtie pasta with turkey and peas in a cream sauce that was very tasty, like all pasta entrees this can also be ordered as a starter in a reduced size.

What I like about the menus on Carnival is that there are gourmet and ethnic type choices, but also choices that would appeal to the average person, I haven't left a Carnival cruise craving regular fare, it is always there if you want it.

There is a coffee shop with specialty coffees for a surcharge, there are also fresh baked cookies $1 and slices of giant cakes for around $2. There is a second coffee shop in the lido buffet area that features big beautiful filled croissants for a price.

If you have a hankering for fast food, the burgers are always fresh, right off the grill, unlike another cruise line where there were burgers on the buffet sitting in a steam table pan in a puddle of water and grease. The grill has some very good chicken tenders! If you like a Reuben the deli makes a great one, some of my friends discovered it on this trip. There is a menu at the deli, but you can request custom sandwiches, they will make it the way that you want it!

Hope this helps

MAC

Thanks for the review! Makes me want October to get here sooner!

I also want to go to Savannah and Lady and Sons - also a Food Network junkie -- and from NC too!

Thanks again!

Mary in NC <---from 30 miles north of Charlotte

Savannah isn't too far away!

Paula Deen has a store next door with all kinds of cool stuff, all the cookbooks are signed!

MAC

Join us in the photo discussion area, there are some expert photographers that are giving some great advise. There are "classes" on how to take pictures under certain conditions, and advise on setting up a shot! You can join any of the classes any time. These are for people with both basic point and shoot cameras and more advanced SLRs, I have learned a ton from them!

My indoor shots were all shot with NO flash!

MAC

Thanks, Mac....I have been over there lurking...wonderful, wonderful ideas, tips & advise...My problem is that I can read and try to learn them, but I have a hard time remembering them once I need to actually use them:D Again...you did an amazin' job with your pictures!

Thanks for the review and all the great pictures. We will be sailing in December just beore Christmas and Can't wait. I've been trying to find out as much as I can about the ship and ports. Thanks again for all the great information!

I would like to echo the sentiment that your pictures were fabulous!!!!!!

May I ask what brand of camera you used?

May I assume the the Mrs. Wilkes restaurant you spoke of in Savannah is a reference to Melanie Wilkes in Gone With the Wind? I've never heard of that restaurant.

Great review! Thanks for taking so much time in writing it!

Thanks for the great review and pictures, I love the food-torial too!

I'm getting really psyched for our upcoming cruise, I'm really glad we picked the Legend for our first Carnival cruise.

Kind of a random question, but did you notice if the second "elegant" night was a little more casual than the first? Any other helpful tips?

Mrs Wilkes Boarding House is a GREAT place to eat when in Savannah!

It's on W. Jones St. and serves only lunch Mon thru Fri.

No reservations are taken, lunch begins at 11:00 and people start lining up out front about 10:30 and the door opens at 11 and they fill the place

(not very big), serve everyone the BIGGEST assortment of southern prepared veggies, at least 3 meats, biscuits, sweet tea, and assorted desserts.

It's sooooo much better than Paula's restaurant!

After the first group finishes, the tables are re-set and the next group

goes in and this continues until about 2-3 p.m.

Cost is about $15 per person.

We're headed there in a few weeks and already talking about the food!

I would like to echo the sentiment that your pictures were fabulous!!!!!!

May I ask what brand of camera you used?

May I assume the the Mrs. Wilkes restaurant you spoke of in Savannah is a reference to Melanie Wilkes in Gone With the Wind? I've never heard of that restaurant.

Great review! Thanks for taking so much time in writing it!

Thanks for the compliments!

I use a Canon S3 IS digital superzoom camera. I have been practicing using the manual settings to improve the results. The outdoor pictures with good light come out wonderful in AUTO, but the indoor shots took a bit more work and planning. I aimed to NOT use the flash whenever possible, only using natural light, I was really happy with the results. I have a gorillapod, which is a flexible tripod, where you can bend the legs and they grip on to stuff, because you need the camera to be completely still when taking low light shots inside without a flash.

Check out the difference between using a flash and using available light, with a tripod.

WITH flash

IMG_1463.JPG

Without flash (2.5 second exposure)

IMG_1435.JPG

I really like how without the flash, the picture has a lot more "mood".

When taking pictures without a tripod(like at the grand gala buffet), I try to hold very still and take 4-5 of the same shot, so I can pluck out the best one for later, I bring plenty of memory for my camera.

Mrs. Wilkes was a lady who ran a boarding house, he cooking was so good that she was encouraged to start a business cooking for the public. She passed away a few years ago and her children have continued the business. This is a truly unique local business. This place will be on the top of my list on my next visit to Savannah!

MAC

and enjoyed our dinners in the dining room very much.

Can you tell me the dress in the dining room is a polo shrt and cargo shorts acceptable for men?

and if you go to the supper club on a non elegant night what is the dress like there?

Archived