How is the gratuity charge allocated?

novembre

$3.50 goes to cabin steward.

$3.50 goes to your dining room stewards -- not certain exactly how much the waiter gets and how much the assistant gets.

The other $3 is divided among the what is called "behind the scenes" crew -- those that work in the kitchen, the laundry room, etc. -- there are a lot of these people.

Keep in mind that beginning in Oct -- the auto tip will be raised to $11 per day per person.

The idea is right but the dollar amont is off...

That's what I thought. I just got my docs for my October Maasdam cruise and they say $11 a day. I'm not complaining, I always add on more, I just noticed the amount was a little off.

oops, sorry, I just noticed that kk covered this on post 2

Terri

I'm not concerned about who receives portions of the gratuity or how much they receive. I don't ask in a restaurant, so why would I ask on a ship? HAL says this is divided up among the dining stewards, room stewards and behind the scenes. I assume the bar servers recieve something from the 15% added to drinks. That's really all I need to know. We can adjust the hotel service charge or give extra to one or more people if we wish.

So does the waiter & assistant receive a portion? I hate having to run back to hand out tips when we can add it to the bill.

Yes, they share in the Hotel Service Charge.

Should you choose to increase the amount on your shipboard account, you will not be able to designate the added amount for any specific individual ... your overage goes into the shared pool.

So, if you want specific individuals to receive the total additional amount you plan to give, you might consider giving it directly to those staff members.

EVERY CREW you see in the dining room receive a portion of it.

This goes for the Lido, too.

Cruise lines have been pooling tips for more than 50 years, now. It's only recently that this has become obvious to some passengers.

Most land based restaurants work the same way, pooled tips or required "tipping out" to people behind the scenes.

I'm not concerned about who receives portions of the gratuity or how much they receive. I don't ask in a restaurant, so why would I ask on a ship? HAL says this is divided up among the dining stewards, room stewards and behind the scenes. I assume the bar servers recieve something from the 15% added to drinks. That's really all I need to know. We can adjust the hotel service charge or give extra to one or more people if we wish.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Archived