Hoonah: Our pictures in story form:

SEPyle

We spent 3 great nights in Hoonah prior to our 8/17 Southbound cruise on HAl's Volendam. I've begun using picasa in order to share our great time in pictures and captions.

If anyone has any questions about this great port of call, I'll be happy to share my perspective!

Here's the link. Some of the captions are a bit long, so to be able to read and check ou the pictures you might want to change the speed at the bottom to 7 sec.

I really feel this is the best place in Alaska to view Whales in action. The pics reveal our good fortune!

Hope you enjoy!

http://picasaweb.google.com/TASharon1/HoonahAK#

Thanks themerle and MichelleP for the kind words. They say a picture says a 1000 words right? We do love Hoonah and it's a shame so few ships visit Icy Strait Point. Last year more visited; however this year Holland and Princess pulled out. In my opinion they made a BIG mistake! One really nice thing is that just one ship a day is in port (tendered); and I hope the folks of Hoonah stick to that stipulation...that's one reason it's such a neat place-It's not overrun with people!

Thanks for these wonderful pictures!! They are incredible, and I loved the comments too - they were not too long! How did you find out about Hoonah, where to stay, whom to book tours with, etc.? After those few days, and seeing all that whale activity so up-close, the cruise itself could have had any flaws - in service, or the weather, etc. - and I would still being thrilled with my Alaska vacation!

Snookum, we feel so fortunate for such great times with the whales! Actually we went out twice. The first time was simply with a local who saw that I was taking pictures across from the Galley Restaurant. We stayed above the Galley and were downstairs having coffee before ordering breakfast. I saw whales in the harbor and went out to take pics. As it ended up; after breakfast he saw that I was taking more pics. He then offered to take us out in his little skiff. It's an example of just how super the people of Hoonah are! His biggest concern was as he said: He didn't want to steal Ora's thunder because the next day Ora who owns Alaskan Raven Charters was taking us out on our scheduled whale watching excursion to Pt. Adolphus. As you can see; there was no problem. The action we experienced was incredibly fantastic! But that doesn't mean it wasn't fantastic with our Hoonah Harbor expereince...I just can't get over how we saw two bubble net feedings at such close proximity! It won't do any good to give the contact info of the local who took us out because he doesn't do tours. Just a super guy who wanted to share with us what he sees on a regular basis!

It is possible to book the excursion to Pt. Adolphus. You can do a google search for Alaskan Raven Charters Hoonah AK and you'll get contact info. The best part of going out with Ora is that his boat is really nice. It has a very comfortable cabin and is quite fast. So if you're going out with him for either a whale watch or to go fishing; his boat will get there faster than most around, and that translates into more whale watching or fishing time! Gosh I really don't mean to sound like an advertisement, but I can't help it...we had an incredible time!

Glad you enjoyed our experiences in Hoonah!

Thanks for these wonderful pictures!! They are incredible, and I loved the comments too - they were not too long! How did you find out about Hoonah, where to stay, whom to book tours with, etc.? After those few days, and seeing all that whale activity so up-close, the cruise itself could have had any flaws - in service, or the weather, etc. - and I would still being thrilled with my Alaska vacation!

Thanks for your kind words! I'm always afraid I'm too long winded:p

Let me try to answer your questions:

This was our 3rd visit to Hoonah. That first visit back in 2005 as we sailed Northbound on Celebrity's Summit. I love to do research before a cruise and I googled Hoonah. I found out about a lady who makes handmade moccasins. In the early years of Icy Strait Point (the name of the port of call for the cruise ships); Koo Hook (Howard), the guy in the first pic with me) used to post a lot on CruiseCritic. He's a super guy who has an incredible love of his people and traditions; when I expressed interest in having a pair made for my husband, he helped me get in touch with Kathy Marvin, who I had read about. Howard headed up the whale watching back then and when his excursion ended, we were able to meet him. We were about the last people back on the ship that day and we felt like priveledged guest as Howard led the dancers on the dock as they dansed to the beat of his drums. All I can say, is that I fell in love with Alaska and the Tlingit people that day. They weren't performing; they were celebrating who they were as a people! We went back to Alaska the next year and the week before our cruise Howard became the Naturalist on our ship. We got to really know him during that week and we've kept in touch since then. OK, now back to your question-I warned you that I'm long winded didn't I? Last spring we decided to make our 3rd trip to Alaska and we decided to sail on the Volendam but Icy Strait/Hoonah was not a port of call. I found out Howard would be doing the Kayaking excursions for the cruise lines (actually working for Alaskan Raven Charters, so I contacted Ora with Alaskan Raven Charters. He then told me Wild Frontier Lodging would be a great place to stay above the Galley. We also set up our whale watching with him as well as the Wildlife search. Bottom line...one stop shopping! We decided right then and there we would start our trip by staying 3 nights in Hoonah!

You're so right about starting out our trip right...Hoonah could have been the only destination on our trip and it would have been a great one! Actually I was a bit concerned thinking the rest of the trip might be a letdown. Of course the whole trip was fantastic...but I have to be honest; we do love Hoonah and as Howard used to say on CruiseCritic; it's THE REAL ALASKA!

I want to know too! who did you use for the air flight and whale tour? WOW on the photos what a experience, I want one like it too! Karon:D

We booked our flight to Hoonah on Wings of Alaska. It's a commercial airline; however back in 2005 we did a flightseeing tour out of Hoonah to Glacier Bay and Wings of Alaska was the vendor.

You can also get to Hoonah via the Alaska Maritime Hwy, which translates to the Alaska Ferry System. I really wanted to go at least one way on the ferry, but it just didn't work with our schedule.

We loved Hoonah too and were so sorry to see it wasn't a port stop for Princess this year. We were there the end of July 2007 - loved it - saw bears, gorgeous scenery, great crab lunch at The Office. DH wanted to stay! Thanks for sharing your adventure and wonderful pictures.

whale-watcher, I had forgotten about the Pacific Princess itinerary next year including Icy Strait. Thanks so much for the reminder; a great option for including Icy Strait and Glacier Bay! And then to also include Valdez and Kodiak...a great itinerary! The only problem is that staying from only 6:30am to 1:30pm/Icy Strait would be almost a tease. It would however sure work for one great whale watching trip!

And Bucky3, I'm glad you were able to include Icy Strait last year! The crab is sure great at the Office isn't it? We were there on non-port days so they didn't have steamed crab...but I did have it cold and was it ever delicious! Did I say I love the Office????? Oh yes, and not just for the crab!:D If anyone who enjoys a beer...Alaskan Amber is a must-try in Alaska! Actually I also enjoyed another selection...Alaska Summer Ale...I think that's the official name anyway! OK, now that I am seriously into wanting to go back to Alaska mode...I better say goodbye for now!

SEPyle - Yes, I think the Pacific Princess would be a neat trip next year, but it will be awhile before we get back to Alaska. We don't fly anymore, and we found a way to get "down under" year from now on the Star Princess - we've got back to back cruises booked SF-Sydney and Sydney-LA. Since we live in California, couldn't pass it up!

Did you try the zipline at Icy Strait? We walked down the beach from the pier and stood for quite a long time watching those that zipped make their landing. They all seemed to love it, but "watching" was good enough for me! If another Alaska cruise is in the cards for us, we want to have a port stop long enough to include a small boat cruise to Tracy Arm from Juneau too.

You'll definitely have to make another trip to get some crab right from the pot!

That is the absolutely best bunch of whale pictures my husband and I have ever seen. Love them! Thank you so much!

We stopped one day in Icy Strait Point in June, 2005 on a Celebrity Summit cruise and took the bus into town but certainly didn't have the experience you had. Thank you for your tour.

SEpyle...I picked this up from one of your other posts. Hope this suggestion is helpful re: jet boats. Loved your review of Hoonah and your pics. We spent a day with a Tlingit woman from Hoonah as we cruised Glacier Bay. Still trying to get the moieties and phratries straight after listening to several Tlingit and Tsimshian tribe members as we visited the various ports. My eyeballs are still crossed trying to figure out who can marry whom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEPyle viewpost.gif

I so agree; Alaska isn't cheap. We did pull back some this trip...nixed the jet boat adventure I so wanted to do

Our suggestion...take the jet boat tour out of Petersburg to Le Conte Glacier. On our cruise we saw glaciers from the air, land and sea. Everyone agreed this glacier experience won...hands down. Le Conte is one of the most active calving glaciers, the surroundings are home to a large number of seals who come here for protection. You will not be disappointed...up close and personal...you will be "rocking and rolling" with the action.

SEpyle...I picked this up from one of your other posts. Hope this suggestion is helpful re: jet boats. Loved your review of Hoonah and your pics. We spent a day with a Tlingit woman from Hoonah as we cruised Glacier Bay. Still trying to get the moieties and phratries straight after listening to several Tlingit and Tsimshian tribe members as we visited the various ports. My eyeballs are still crossed trying to figure out who can marry whom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEPyle viewpost.gif

I so agree; Alaska isn't cheap. We did pull back some this trip...nixed the jet boat adventure I so wanted to do

Our suggestion...take the jet boat tour out of Petersburg to Le Conte Glacier. On our cruise we saw glaciers from the air, land and sea. Everyone agreed this glacier experience won...hands down. Le Conte is one of the most active calving glaciers, the surroundings are home to a large number of seals who come here for protection. You will not be disappointed...up close and personal...you will be "rocking and rolling" with the action.

kk-1; I sure wish you hadn't mentioned a jet boat out of Petersburg...that's one more place I would love to visit: another place you don't get to w/o effort!

Sounds like we like the same type of Alaska experiences. It amazed us how so many people didn't attend the Native talks while we were on the ship. The ways and customs of the various Native people in Alaska absolutely amaze me! Have you been to Haines? We loved that port too!

Poolewife and everyone else...thanks so much for your great comments! It's fun to share and we really feel fortunate to have had such great experiences while in Hoonah. I just wish other cruise lines make the decision to make Icy Strait Point a port of call.

We had a day in Icy Strait Point earlier this month while on the Radiance of the Seas northbound from Vancouver to Seward. DH is in a wheelchair so we took tours he could manage: The Hoonah Sightseeing tour which took us to the town where we saw more than just what's available at the pier and the tram ride out through the rain forest which was incredible, too.

One of my frustrations was that there were no opportunities for tours except those arranged through the ship. Even when I researched Hoonah and Icy Strait Point I eventually got to a message that said book through the cruise line.

In addition to the incredible pictures of the whales I really liked your pictures showing more of the town and the area that is not part of the tourist experience. There are so many places we visit for only a day that would be worth a longer visit. Hoonah is definitely one of them.

Archived