Replacing Grand Turk?

jerzeecruzer

I have been following the hurricanes very closely this year since we have a family reunion cruise on the Crown on 11/2/08 with 34 family members cruising.

My heart goes out to the people of Grand Turk and Cuba who have suffered so much devastation. Let's say a prayer for Texas and other gulf states that may also be affected by Ike.

I realized that our family has seven weeks until our cruise on the Crown and Grand Turk was one of our stops...does any one know what or if Grand Turk has been replaced on the itinerary for the Crown or any other Princess ships?

God willing Grand Turk will be up and running by then but I read several accounts posted and it may not be ready for us.

Since I organized this trip, I became the official question and answer person for the entire family and would like to do a little research on another port of call if Grand Turk is replaced.

Right now i bet that Princess and the other cruiselines are scrambling to find anotehr port. In the meantime go back what I call the Table of Contents and on top of the page there is a heading called Cruise Critic news and articles. There are a fe about Grand Turk and it pier area and other stuff about the island. Maybe that might help.

Marilyn

I have been following the hurricanes very closely this year since we have a family reunion cruise on the Crown on 11/2/08 with 34 family members cruising.

My heart goes out to the people of Grand Turk and Cuba who have suffered so much devastation. Let's say a prayer for Texas and other gulf states that may also be affected by Ike.

I realized that our family has seven weeks until our cruise on the Crown and Grand Turk was one of our stops...does any one know what or if Grand Turk has been replaced on the itinerary for the Crown or any other Princess ships?

God willing Grand Turk will be up and running by then but I read several accounts posted and it may not be ready for us.

Since I organized this trip, I became the official question and answer person for the entire family and would like to do a little research on another port of call if Grand Turk is replaced.

Time will tell on this one, right now it would be only guessing. If an alternate port isn't found that can be utilitized, plan on an extra sea day during your cruise. Much will depend on other ports in the area that weren't damaged (although from what I understand and am reading many sustained more than minimal damage from the Hurricane). I think you will probably find more information within a week or two of your sailing.

The pier didn't sustain much damage at all. It was built to withstand a Cat. 5 hurricane and Grand Turk was hit by a Cat. 4 (and also Hanna, which wasn't quite as big).

From what I've seen & read, it's the other buildings on the island that were pretty hard hit. I don't think any cruise line would bring it's passengers to a port that has a good pier, but limited supporting operations. I know electricity had been restored pretty quickly to most of the island.

Last I heard, the airport was opening on Monday and the touristy side of the island with the big hotels was not hit very badly and would continue business as usual as repairs were made.

Guess we'll have to wait & see on this one. I betcha all the cruise lines are scrambling to find alternate port options - at least for a few months.

You can call the cruise line and ask them, but you'll probably get a wrong answer. What I would do is find the Turks & Caicos government website and read it often for updates.

Right now i bet that Princess and the other cruiselines are scrambling to find anotehr port. In the meantime go back what I call the Table of Contents and on top of the page there is a heading called Cruise Critic news and articles. There are a fe about Grand Turk and it pier area and other stuff about the island. Maybe that might help.

Marilyn

Forgive my spelling on a couple of words. Good grief; did not have a full cup of coffee yet.:eek:

Here's a quote from a USAToday Cruise Blog article for those who haven't read it:

An official statement released by Carnival late Tuesday says it's too early to put a dollar amount on the damage to the $60 million Grand Turk Cruise Terminal. But as we reported earlier this week a Carnival vice president touring the island Monday told the Associated Press that it could be $5 to $10 million.

The Carnival statement said the center suffered roof damage and loss of landscaping, but nothing that couldn't be repaired "fairly quickly." That said, the statement noted that damage to the island was substantial, and "it appears it is going to take some time for Grand Turk to recover . . . the pace of repair work and re-opening of the cruise center is largely dependent on overall recovery efforts on Grand Turk."

The statement said Carnival is working on finding alternative ports for ships scheduled to call on Grand Turk in coming weeks "and will advise impacted guests as those modifications are finalized."

Click here for the article.

Lew

Archived