Let's keep things in perspective!

terri23

Gosh I came here for my usual CC fix. Ike is headed directly toward us and I am freaking out just a bit, so I knew CC would make me feel better! But I have to confess the complaints about too many cruises might be too much, no more midnight buffet and paying for coffee might be disappointing, a thread a couple of days ago something like "I love hurricane season"....kinda got on my nerves.

Flamers can tell me "then use the x in the upper right hand corner" blah blah blah but I just want to remind people to ...keep things in perspective please! mountains, molehills and that sorta stuff. you don't have to buy the "pay" coffee or the "pay" steak....;)

anyone else feel the same way? or is this just another thread complaining about complainers...:p

happy cruising :)

Terri,

Hang in there. I live in So. Fl and we dodged this bullet this time, but I'm sad to hear that Ike didn't die out in the gulf. Been through a few big ones, just stay safe. Everything else can be replaced. Just dream of your next cruise.

Terri - where are you located? Hope you are going to get blasted too much.

Try not to let the negative get you down. As I've read on threads before it amazes me how people think that the anonymity of these boards allows you to say things you would not normally say to a stranger in person.

Well, the web site is called "Cruise Critic."

From the online dictionary: Critic:

1. One who forms and expresses judgments of the merits, faults, value, or truth of a matter.

2. One who specializes especially professionally in the evaluation and appreciation of literary or artistic works: a film critic; a dance critic.

3. One who tends to make harsh or carping judgments; a faultfinder.

Wow you have that right. Some folks just complain for the sake of complaining. To them the cruise lines can do nothing right so I'm not sure why the cruise or post here. But if you try to make sense of their complaints you just get called names like "Kool Aid Crowd" or "Royal Cheerleaders." The problem is all the posts about half truths or someone who has not done their homework and only reports part of the facts in an effort to get an audience. But don''t let them get you down! Keep cruising!

we are in Houston! :eek:

thanks for the encouraging words... :) lori I think you're right - we have two cruises booked so I will just focus on that (and do some indoor chores) as the DH boards up the house!

Now where's a good "what's the craziest thing you've seen on board" thread to make me laugh... oh oops I'm supposed to be taking pictures of our stuff for insurance...maybe in a few minutes...;)

Gosh I came here for my usual CC fix. Ike is headed directly toward us and I am freaking out just a bit, so I knew CC would make me feel better! But I have to confess the complaints about too many cruises might be too much, no more midnight buffet and paying for coffee might be disappointing, a thread a couple of days ago something like "I love hurricane season"....kinda got on my nerves.

Flamers can tell me "then use the x in the upper right hand corner" blah blah blah but I just want to remind people to ...keep things in perspective please! mountains, molehills and that sorta stuff. you don't have to buy the "pay" coffee or the "pay" steak....;)

anyone else feel the same way? or is this just another thread complaining about complainers...:p

It's so easy to hide behind a computer screen and say what they want. They could not handle a situation face to face.

I know how you're feeling. 2004 was our year with 3 hurricanes back to back in a 3 week period. Very stressful.

Wow you have that right. Some folks just complain for the sake of complaining. To them the cruise lines can do nothing right so I'm not sure why the cruise or post here. But if you try to make sense of their complaints you just get called names like "Kool Aid Crowd" or "Royal Cheerleaders." The problem is all the posts about half truths or someone who has not done their homework and only reports part of the facts in an effort to get an audience. But don''t let them get you down! Keep cruising!

Well said!!!

1. One who forms and expresses judgments of the merits, faults, value, or truth of a matter.

2. One who specializes especially professionally in the evaluation and appreciation of literary or artistic works: a film critic; a dance critic.

LOL shouldn't there be a 4th for some of the posts that are the most entertaining....

"4. One who enjoys cheese with their whine"

OK I'm joking and just trying to relieve a little stress. ;)

Does it say anything about "One or a group of ones who band together to complain about everything a cruise line does in an effort to be innovative in today's marketplace." Does it say: "One who locks onto every new idea a cruise line tries to attempt to cause panic by assuming anything that changes from their last cruise is an attempt to rip off their loyal customers or will lead to the customer having to pay for everything except their cabin onboard soon?"

Finding fault is one thing. Unrealistically bitterly complaining, predicting doom and gloom, and asking everyone to cancel their cruise and write to the mgmt. is another. Let the cruise lines do what they want and if you don't like it move on!

Did anyone read the post by a gal who bought a cruise for her Mother as a gift? If memory serves me right it went something like... when she told her Mom about the trip she said "Oh I love to cruise. Your father and I went years ago and it cost $3,000.00" Now compare the value $3,000 back then to today's $3,000 (or less!) cruise. Of course things have to change to keep the ships on the water!

TERRI--good luck in Houston! I'm a little south of Dallas and we're sweating out the aftermath of it all! I'm with you about folks whining about charges for the extras.....some people just forget that they are a captive audience and the cruise lines are going to gouge them for some of the things they think they "need" but really don't! Like fer instance....internet cafe! Can you honestly NOT check your EM for a few days or so? We took a Canada cruise last fall and I HAD to communicate with my daughter and could not use cell phone and didn't have a phone card either. We were in some little podunk place and we hiked into town and I found the local library.....they were VERY accomodating and gracious and let me log onto yahoo, take care of my quickie business and that was that....done deal! And it was no charge! It would be a cold day in hell when I would pay EXTRA for coffee OR a meal on a ship...there is just too much out there that doesn't cost extra, and it's quite good, IMO!:D

Well said.

Even some of the has beens like to jump in and complain, but don't even know what its even about. Sometimes I think people had some sort of bad experience, stopped cruising, and they just want to hold the grude against who, or whatever for the rest of thier lives. How sad.

Terri, we live on Marco Island, happy to say weve gotten lucky so far this year, certainly did not want to see it going your way. Get out of dodge, or hunker down and God bless.

Yes, it is another thread complaining about complainers, but I agree with you nonetheless. :)

How about encouraging stories about making it through a hurricane?

My son only remembers that we cooked spaghetti on the grill after hurricane Wilma (no power for about a week). He thought it was the coolest thing.

During Hurricane Andrew I had a friend's husband spend the night at my house since they lived on the beach. He was in his 70's and when he got up the next morning I asked him if he saw all the trees bending in half in the front yard. His answer? Oh, sorry, I took my hearing aids out and slept through the whole thing! Mean time, I had spent the night in a closet with my dogs, lol.

The bright sideof the trauma is that you get to know your neighbors and long time friendships can be born from the experience.

Stay safe!

Hi Terri -- We're in Houston, too, battened down and waiting -- this morning the center line of the forecasted path was cutting across the edge of my neighborhood (with estimated sustained winds of 93!) which really freaked me out. Although it's moved to the east and now we're not on the dirty side, I still think we're in for it... Good luck and stay safe!

Ya'll be safe down there. I used to live in Houston out around 290 and Hwy 6. Got an ex down there that I'm actually friends with. Already told her to keep me posted so I'll know she's safe.

You'll have gators on the highways come Saturday night if things are like they were when I lived there 10 years ago. So watch out for "logs" in the roads!:D

Ya'll be safe down there. I used to live in Houston out around 290 and Hwy 6. Got an ex down there that I'm actually friends with. Already told her to keep me posted so I'll know she's safe.

You'll have gators on the highways come Saturday night if things are like they were when I lived there 10 years ago. So watch out for "logs" in the roads!:D

Thanks for the "encouraging" words, LOL. Will keep an eye out for sure!

We sail from Galveston in Feb.'09 and have met many Texans on CC thru this Voyager cruise, and have spent a lot of time researching Galveston for pre- and post-cruise stays.

Our prayers go out to you, Terri, and our new friends in Texas. Stay safe, stay dry, and best wishes to you all.

Rick and Deirdra

lori thanks for the stories. how did you keep the spaghetti from slipping down between the grill grates, LOL. J/K. :D We have a gas hookup out back that we may be making good use of!!

Darkwolfe everyone here complains of too many speed bumps - LOL didn't know they were gators ;)

How about encouraging stories about making it through a hurricane?

My son only remembers that we cooked spaghetti on the grill after hurricane Wilma (no power for about a week). He thought it was the coolest thing.

During Hurricane Andrew I had a friend's husband spend the night at my house since they lived on the beach. He was in his 70's and when he got up the next morning I asked him if he saw all the trees bending in half in the front yard. His answer? Oh, sorry, I took my hearing aids out and slept through the whole thing! Mean time, I had spent the night in a closet with my dogs, lol.

The bright sideof the trauma is that you get to know your neighbors and long time friendships can be born from the experience.

Stay safe!

Lori - Your Hurricane Andrew story was just too funny!

Terri - You're not alone. We're south of you between Freeport & Houston. Currently in the wait & see mode. :eek:

Archived