What type of insurance to most people go for?

OhPinchy

I've seen a few mentions of insurance on these boards but I'm not clear on whether this is referring to just standard travel insurance of if there is something specific about cruises that makes additional insurance a smart move.

I normally just get an annual multi-tip travel insurance deal for quite cheap and it allows watersports and skiing and this is up for renewal (I think it costs about €50 - I live in Ireland). Does this sound like it covers us or are there things relating to cruising (e.g. getting sick at sea, missing the boat after an excursion etc.) that mean we should consider other insurance?

The big difference for cruising is the possibility you might get so sick/injured at sea, you require airlift evacuation to a shore hospital.

These flights are painfully expensive - coverage here in North America is usually for up to $100,000.

A good WEB site to visit is www.insuremytrip.com You do not have to purchase insurance through this site. You can actually call the company directly (or via the WEB) and book in order to save a few dollars.

The reason I suggest this site, is for you to be able to browse through the different coverages available and choose the one that is best for you.

We purchased travel insurance through our travel agent which is a national chain, and cruise critic rules prohibit me from mentioning their names.

Look at the policy before you purchase.

Ours covered all aspects of the trip. From leaving home to airport, to lost luggage, injury, delays due to weather, health re-imbusement.

It was a little pricey. If I recall about $139 per person.

We have used this insurance before and yes, it has gone up over the years.

We were in Disney when Hurricain Charlie arrived and it disrupted our last day.

We were fully re-imbursed for lost Disney day, Meals, and change of air flight. The ONLY thing it did not cover was our choice of getting a rental car from Disney to Tampa. (Orlando international airport closed for a couple days). The insurance company said it was not included.

We filled out the forms, stated our claim and had a check with-in a couple weeks.

Later

You'll have to check your insurance to see what is covered. Significant expenses would be things like medical clinic or doctor visits onboard the ship, hospital expenses in foreign countries, and medical evacuation. I know that annual travel insurance packages are much more common in other countries than they are here in the States.

You may want to purchase insurance for trip cancellation (if you are injured or sick beforehand, if a family member passes away, etc.), and also for things like flight cancellation.

I don't know if insuremytrip.com has policies available to those outside of the US and Canada, so you may want to check around in Ireland to see what is available there.

We purchased travel insurance through our travel agent which is a national chain, and cruise critic rules prohibit me from mentioning their names.

Look at the policy before you purchase.

Ours covered all aspects of the trip. From leaving home to airport, to lost luggage, injury, delays due to weather, health re-imbusement.

It was a little pricey. If I recall about $139 per person.

We have used this insurance before and yes, it has gone up over the years.

We were in Disney when Hurricain Charlie arrived and it disrupted our last day.

We were fully re-imbursed for lost Disney day, Meals, and change of air flight. The ONLY thing it did not cover was our choice of getting a rental car from Disney to Tampa. (Orlando international airport closed for a couple days). The insurance company said it was not included.

We filled out the forms, stated our claim and had a check with-in a couple weeks.

Later

The cost of insurance is based on three things. Your age, the cost of non cancelable aspects of the trip you are insuring and how long you need to be covered. If you don't include all the items you need to insure, they won't be covered. Your insurance wouldn't cover the car as you didn't include it in the total price of the trip when you purchased the policy. Of course, you didn't KNOW you'd need it.

I've been asking the same questions of various insurance companies here in Lanzarote. Because my cruise is a year away, I have been asking about specific cover, such as airline insolvency, serious illness of my parents, etc. Also because my cruise is a long one, and starts in US, I wanted medical cover of much more than is offered on my multi-trip insurance, plus it being cruise specific.

I have found one (glad I read that you can't put company names up here!!) and it is linked into a Dublin company. It is expensive in comparison, but will give me peace of mind over the next year.

HTH:)

Archived