11 dollar surcharge still justified?

smeyer418

Is continuing the $11.00 dollar surcharge justified?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Is continuing the $11.00 dollar surcharge justified?

with oil at $101 down 1/3 from its high, is there any justification of keeping the $11 pd surcharge?

Not in my opinion - but now all we have to do is convince NCL.

:( Then again, from reading the news today I see that for some reason (I think they're using IKE) gasoline has hiked up again by another .25 a litre.

Can you say "Consumer Gouging" :eek:

Not in my opinion - but now all we have to do is convince NCL.

:( Then again, from reading the news today I see that for some reason (I think they're using IKE) gasoline has hiked up again by another .25 a litre.

Can you say "Consumer Gouging" :eek:

Price hikes would be due to Hurrican Ike approaching the Houston area and the refineries along the Gulf Coast having to shut down, plus danger to off-shore oil rigs. Also OPEC talking about cutting back on their production.

No more reason than the oil companies have by still charging $3.50 per gallon for gas.

I can say "Consumer Gouging" with no problem.

This is NOT a "supply and demand" issue. It's a "charge whatever the market will bear" issue!

Happy Cruising! :)

Considering how cruise fares have gone up so very little in the last 20 years, and considering how a cruise ship only goes about 50 foot on a gallon of fuel, I'd say yes, they are still justified.

CG

If a cruise line were to raise their base fare, especially if they haven't increased much in the last 20 years, I'd be ok with that.

But, to have a fuel surcharge - that implies that the fees we pay are going toward a cost of fuel that is beyond that priced into the fare. I'm fine with the fuel surcharge (including the recent increase), but when the price of fuel comes back down, this surcharge should change accordingly. I'd give NCL three cheers if they would issue a statement showing that, for example, if the their average cost of fuel for the previous month was less than $X.00, then the fuel surcharge would be $Y. (Maybe not changing every month, but some reasonable reassessment time...)

I'm a huge fan of NCL and cruising in general, but I'd feel better just paying one fee that includes the anticipated cost of fuel, rather than seeing a "surcharge"... I've seen many complaints along the lines of NCL "nickel and diming" pax. I'm not sure doing away with this surchage would help that view (not one I hold, BTW) but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. (Although it might be offset by the higher fares - so my 2 cents may not even be worth that!)

Happy Sails!

I'm curious if people have a suggestion as to how it could be removed without a major outcry. When it was implemented it was done with an announcement of booking before a specific date and you don't have to pay.

Would they "reverse" it based on sailing date? I'd just like to hear people's speculation as to how it could be done without a "mutiny."

I'm curious if people have a suggestion as to how it could be removed without a major outcry. When it was implemented it was done with an announcement of booking before a specific date and you don't have to pay.

Would they "reverse" it based on sailing date? I'd just like to hear people's speculation as to how it could be done without a "mutiny."

I think the only way they could reduce/eliminate the surcharge without causing a huge ruckus would be to make it effective immediately on all future sailings and remove those charges from any monies due. If final payment has been made, give it back in the way of an OBC on THAT sailing. Just my thoughts.

Happy Cruising! :)

• Administrators

I want to know what happened to the "sliding scale" of the surcharge NCL originally announced. It was tied to the per barrel price of oil, in tiers, and should have resulted in a decrease in the supplement as the per barrel price declines. I can't find it on the website any more, even in old press releases. Of course, I could just be missing it. Maybe. ;)

I don't know if it is only in Texas because of the pending hurricane, but gas went up over $.10 a gallon over night.. In fact.. I met a friend for lunch today.. Passed a service station where I normally get gas, and gas yesterday was $3.39 per gallon. When I went to meet my friend for lunch it was $3.49 a gallon and when i passed it after lunch it was $3.54 a gallon. I do know the lines we have at the gas stations right now is every one making sure they have full tanks before the storm hits. But the price increase is amazing. OH. And just FYI. We live in North Texas (Dallas), not on the coast.

I don't know if it is only in Texas because of the pending hurricane, but gas went up over $.10 a gallon over night.. In fact.. I met a friend for lunch today.. Passed a service station where I normally get gas, and gas yesterday was $3.39 per gallon. When I went to meet my friend for lunch it was $3.49 a gallon and when i passed it after lunch it was $3.54 a gallon. I do know the lines we have at the gas stations right now is every one making sure they have full tanks before the storm hits. But the price increase is amazing. OH. And just FYI. We live in North Texas (Dallas), not on the coast.

It's not just Texas. I live in Northeast Georgia and saw the price go from 3.59 yesterday to 3.99 today with many stations out of gas. Some are even limiting you to 10 gallons.

As per the original question, I think NCL should adjust the fuel charge accordingly.

Now for my rant: I live in Kentucky and gas prices have jumped at least a $1.00 :mad: today because of the Hurricane Ike. Now the last time I checked the news, Ike has not hit Texas yet. Also, the last time I checked a atlas, the state of Kentucky is not near Texas. Talk about price gouging!!!!:eek:

Personally, I would like to see all of the surcharges built into the fare. And this applies to all cruise companies. I hate all of the taxes, surcharges, etc. If everyone would quote you a single price, then you would know you are comparing apples to apples.

As per the original question, I think NCL should adjust the fuel charge accordingly.

Now for my rant: I live in Kentucky and gas prices have jumped at least a $1.00 :mad: today because of the Hurricane Ike. Now the last time I checked the news, Ike has not hit Texas yet. Also, the last time I checked a atlas, the state of Kentucky is not near Texas. Talk about price gouging!!!!:eek:

It's not price gouging when people continue to purchase the gas at prices you think are too high. It's simple economics... supply and demand. If we want to lower gas prices, then all we have to do is change our lifestyles. Then you'll see how quickly prices come down.

I want to know what happened to the "sliding scale" of the surcharge NCL originally announced. It was tied to the per barrel price of oil, in tiers, and should have resulted in a decrease in the supplement as the per barrel price declines. I can't find it on the website any more, even in old press releases. Of course, I could just be missing it. Maybe. ;)

Before I even read your post, I was thinking "I saw the sliding scale somewhere." I know I saw it on some NCL announcement. It's not included in the original announcement about a fuel surchg late last year. Then there was the interim hike and I think that's where I saw it. Looked through the press releases and did a Google search but couldn't come up with anything.:confused:

Just a question, please. Is NCL the only cruise line that charges this surplus, and I think the answer is no. Have other cruise lines that have this surcharge made any reductions? Just curious.

Oh, and I just can't understand how and why the word 'gouging' seems to come up so often :-)

call it gouging...call it supply and demand...call it because of Ike or any other hurricane.

The bottom line is always money.

If I'm not mistaken the oil industry have been reporting record profits (in the billions of dollars per quarter) over the past few years.

As long as we are willing to pay it- they will charge it.

Since the hotel industry would have a hard time expalining a "fuel surcharge" (since last I checked the hotels don't move) many of the hotel chains and other resorts have started charging a "resort fee". Just another way to boost profits.

Again, As long as most of us are willing to pay it- they will charge it.

Just putting in my 2 cents.

They wont do away with the surcharge until they're forced to do so. Further, I don't believe they'll ever add it to the base fare as they want the price of the cruise to appear low. One of the heads of American Airlines addressed this with the baggage fees. He stated something like it was an added fee so that their fares would show up in searches as among the lowest. Of course, once you add in the taxes and fees, then they might not appear as competitive.

Cruise lines could build the tip into the fare along with soda and wine at dinner, but few do perhaps for some of the reasons above.

I will admit, however, that cruise fares are extremely competitive especially compared to 15 years ago when I paid $1200 p.p. for a 4 day cruise. I spending less in January for a 7 day cruise in a cabin that isn't that much smaller than the suite we had on the 4 day cruise.

Just a question, please. Is NCL the only cruise line that charges this surplus, and I think the answer is no. Have other cruise lines that have this surcharge made any reductions? Just curious.

Oh, and I just can't understand how and why the word 'gouging' seems to come up so often :-)

You are correct that all cruise lines have a fuel surcharge. I don't believe that, at this point in time, other lines have reduced their surcharges.

I think the word 'gouging' comes up often with NCL because NCL's policy concerning the fuel surcharge is unlike most other cruise line policies. They have no maximum surcharge amount that can be reached.

First of all, NCL charges all of their customers one of the highest rates for their fuel surcharge in the cruise industry, currently $11.00 per person per day. The other major lines are approximately 10% -20% lower: (CCL, HAL & PRINCESS are $9.00), (Royal & Celebrity are $10.00).

As you mentioned, the word 'gouging' does comes up often by NCL. I believe one of the reasons is because they have not put a maximum limit on the fuel surcharges. All the other lines mentioned above have a maximum limit of fuel surcharges that they will charge their passengers. The other cruise lines maximum rates are $126.00 and $140.00 (depending on the lines named above), regardless of the length of your cruise. NCL's fuel surcharge has no maximum that can be reached. The longer your cruise is on NCL, the higher your surcharge will be. That policy is the complete opposite of the other major cruise lines. As an example, an 18 night repositioning cruise on NCL will cost an additional $198.00 per person for that cruise as compared to the above lower maximum rates from the other lines. Do the math. NCL will charge 1,000 passengers $72,000.00 (seventy-two thousand dollars) more for fuel surcharges that a similiar cruise on Carnival, HAL or Princess.... NCL is 18 days X $11.00 = $198.00 versus $126. maximum charge from the other lines...difference of $72.00 X 1,000 passengers for a total overcharge of their surcharge equalling $72,000. 'That's 'gouging'. Compared to all the other cruise lines, NCL is ripping everyone off. Look at the fuel overcharges as compared to ALL the other lines. It's a 'gouging ripoff'.

Other examples of why I think the word 'gouging' comes up so often are that some NCL restaurants have a surcharge added to the initial surcharge if you want to order a premium entree. 'That's 'gouging'. And in just a few months, NCL tipping, (I mean service charge), will be 20% higher than all the other major lines. NCL's $12.00 per person per day "service charge" will then be among the highest in the industry. And yet another example of 'gouging'.

I doubt NCL will lower any of their surcharges, which are certainly higher than their competition. I doubt any other lines will lower the fuel surcharges either.

Archived