Is the fruit safe?

ocicat

Having read several accounts of the tremendous variety of fruit sold by vendors, I'm now craving a fruit salad!

Is the fruit safe in Cartegena when purchased from local vendors?

Do the ships allow you to bring in on to wash in your cabin?

I have brought mango on board.....Just can't bring them into the states....Unless you are in Key West or Hawaii, you just can't get good mangos in the states, and while I live in Alaska, I sure miss my mango trees in /south Florida......As long as you peel the fruit yourself...you should be fairly safe. I have eaten street food in many third world countries and I have been lucky....never been sick from food.....

I have brought mango on board.....Just can't bring them into the states....Unless you are in Key West or Hawaii, you just can't get good mangos in the states, and while I live in Alaska, I sure miss my mango trees in /south Florida......As long as you peel the fruit yourself...you should be fairly safe. I have eaten street food in many third world countries and I have been lucky....never been sick from food.....

Wow moving from Fl. to Alaska. Now thats a big difference. Hot and Cold.

Love Sarah. She rocks.

I have eaten fruit in Mexico many times and have never been sick either.

I would never have guessed. Polar opposites IMHO.

I like warm weather. Guess thats why I live in San Diego. I'm hoping to book a cruise to Alaska in 2010. I was there in the summer of 89. Had a good time. Loved the scenery, had the best halibut ever in Valdez.

Pink Debbie....one of the best restaurants in Alaska is in Valdez...in the Best Western Hotel of all places....It is owned by a Spaniard who comes with his brother and the do the best things with a halibut that ever been devised....YUMMY!!!!!!
't

I can't remember where we ate. I remember being right on the water at a little place, maybe a bar and grille,not sure. I loved Valdez. It was one of my favorite places. I'm looking forward to a cruise that way since I will see stuff on a cruise. The inside passage.

Living in San Deigo we have quite the influence with the hispanic culture. Love it. I can't wait to come there again. I guess I'll not get to Valdez on a cruise.

• 1 month later...

I believe our ship (Grandeur of the Seas) had a sign stating that you could not bring fruits back aboard.

There were Columbian ladies on the dock who welcomed us to Columbia and offered us free fruit and candy. I took one fruit that I had never seen before, but could not understand the name and ate it on our tour. It was similar to a pomegrante in that you broke it open and ate the seeds, but it was green and the seeds were loose inside.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived