Carnival cancelled tour

DB2VA

We booked when we got on the ship a tour in Miami for the day we returned. ..the Sea Aquarium and transportation to the airport. Since we had a 4:15 flight it seemed like a good way to spend the day.

When we got to the tour bus, they said our tour was cancelled because we were the only people who booked it. This certainly was not Carnival's fault. But they told me I had to call customer service, get the address and then send a letter of explanation, and the excursion tickets in order to get a refund. To me that seemed like a lot of trouble. When Carnival cancelled the tour, they should have refunded the money right then and there.

I did all that they requested and of course I have not heard a thing.

This is a reminder to check the night before that all is well with your end of the cruise tour.

We booked when we got on the ship a tour in Miami for the day we returned. ..the Sea Aquarium and transportation to the airport. Since we had a 4:15 flight it seemed like a good way to spend the day.

When we got to the tour bus, they said our tour was cancelled because we were the only people who booked it. This certainly was not Carnival's fault. But they told me I had to call customer service, get the address and then send a letter of explanation, and the excursion tickets in order to get a refund. To me that seemed like a lot of trouble. When Carnival cancelled the tour, they should have refunded the money right then and there.

This is a reminder to check the night before that all is well with your end of the cruise tour.

What a pain!

We had our tour cancelled in Costa Rica - we wanted to go to the Pineapple Plantation.... but we were the only ones to sign up. Our money was refunded automatically.

I would call Carnival directly!

Catrin

Carnival did not cancel the tour. The contractor did. They might have people from other ships or tourist that they rely on to book the tour. If they did not notify Carnival (which it sounds like the didn't) they are not at fault. They will however refund your money.

Remember that Carnival does not run the tours...private operators do. Since you were off the ship you could not at that point go back on the ship to make them aware of this....

Be upset with the tour provider, not Carnival.....;)

What a pain!

We had our tour cancelled in Costa Rica - we wanted to go to the Pineapple Plantation.... but we were the only ones to sign up. Our money was refunded automatically.

I would call Carnival directly!

Catrin

Unfortunately this was an end of cruise tour so their shipboard accounts were paid out and closed.

Jeff's right it was the contractor's decision to cancel the tour. Too bad they didn't have the decency to do when it would be easy to get a refund.

It took me approximately 6-8 weeks to get a refund from Carnival on a cancelled tour, so give it at least that amount of time, then start nagging them.

It took me 3 months to get back an OBC I purchased for my DS and DIL for their honeymoon cruise that never appeared on their account on NCL, and I had to continually follow up. With Carnival, it was just the letter and a wait.

I am a Carnival fan but this stinks. Carnival should have some control over the tour operators they use. I hope this was the last time they sent people to this tour operator. I think I would challenge my American Express charge form Carnival until they refunded my money. At the very least you should write a letter to Jerry Cahill's office.

I am a Carnival fan but this stinks. Carnival should have some control over the tour operators they use. I hope this was the last time they sent people to this tour operator. I think I would challenge my American Express charge form Carnival until they refunded my money. At the very least you should write a letter to Jerry Cahill's office.

I agree.. It's easy to say that it's the tour operator's fault and not Carnival's when something goes wrong, but these tour operators are sponsored/endorsed/used by Carnival for a reason; not the least of which is for some sense of security and comfort that if something does go wrong, you have the cruiseline on your side..

I agree.. It's easy to say that it's the tour operator's fault and not Carnival's when something goes wrong, but these tour operators are sponsored/endorsed/used by Carnival for a reason; not the least of which is for some sense of security and comfort that if something does go wrong, you have the cruiseline on your side..

Yeah....I don't buy it is the contractors fault. Carnival is ultimately responsible.

Yawn!!!

Carnival merely sub-contracts to these vendors and have no responsibility for their actions. If this were a shore excursion in the middle of the cruise, Carnival would have immediately credited the money to OP's S&S account. Because they were already off the ship, that's not possible. They will get their refund.

As for blaming Carnival for everything, I guess some people can't read words of more than 2 syllables...for ALL information concering excursions are clearly stated in the contract we all agree to when we cruise....... Here, from the ticket contract:

10. INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS, SHORE EXCURSIONS AND OTHER SERVICES

(a)Guest acknowledges that all Shore excursions/tours (whether conducted in the water, on land or by air), airline flights and ground transportation, as well as the ship’s physician, nurse and on board concessions (including but not limited to, the gift shops, spa, beauty salon, fitness center, golf and art programs, video/snorkel concession) are either operated by or are independent contractors. Even though Carnival shall be entitled to collect a fee and earn a profit from the ticketing or sale of such services by such persons or entities, Carnival neither supervises nor controls their actions, nor makes any representation either express or implied as to their suitability. Carnival, in arranging for the services called for by the physician or nurse, all on board concessions, all shore excursion/tour tickets, all pre and post cruise airline flights or other transportation off of the ship and its tenders, does so only as a convenience for the Guest and Guests are free to use or not use these services. Guest agrees that Carnival assumes no responsibility, does not guarantee performance and in no event shall be liable for any negligent or intentional acts or omissions, loss, damage, injury or delay to Guest and/or Guest’s baggage, property or effects in connection with said services. Guests use the services of all independent contractors at the Guest’s sole risk. Independent contractors are entitled to make a proper charge for any service performed with respect to a Guest.

Let's all grow up now and act like adults.

I'm thinking ...

if you booked it on the ship

and it was added to your Sign & Sail card

and it got cancelled while still onboard the ship

just like the tours thru carnival that get cancelled when the ship cant dock ...

the charges should have been removed from the sign & sail card

before you left the ship

Perhaps , I just dont get it ?

Huh?

:confused:

do the Carnival Tours for the islands that you miss , get reimbursed and taken off your sign & sail immediately ?

Or would you have to wait 6-8 weeks to get them back too ?

This has a so-very simple explanation....your tour was AFTER they had closed out your S&S account. They could not automatically refund your money. At the time they did it, you were no longer officially a passenger, probably.

I'm thinking ...

if you booked it on the ship

and it was added to your Sign & Sail card

and it got cancelled while still onboard the ship

just like the tours thru carnival that get cancelled when the ship cant dock ...

the charges should have been removed from the sign & sail card

before you left the ship

Perhaps , I just dont get it ?

Huh?

:confused:

do the Carnival Tours for the islands that you miss , get reimbursed and taken off your sign & sail immediately ?

Or would you have to wait 6-8 weeks to get them back too ?

You don't get it because you didn't read the OP. It was cancelled after they got off the ship, collected all their baggage, and went to the bus (a private operator) who told them it was cancelled. They were no longer passengers with a S&S account.

This is just goofy! They were off the ship at the end of the cruise...no longer passengers. They have been given direction as to how to get back their money, and rather than send the tickets in, everybody says.....

WHINE!

FUSS!

COMPLAIN!

Sorry the OP didn't get to see some more fish, but it wasn't the end of the world. They'll get their money, that is if they follow the procedure, and that should be the simple end of the story.

As for blaming Carnival for everything' date=' I guess some people can't read words of more than 2 syllables

Let's all grow up now and act like adults.[/quote']

A couple of posters have made valid points about Carnival assuming some responsibility for the actions of their sub contractors - just because you aren't in agreement with their opinions, you don't have to be quite so cutting and rude.

Sorry the OP didn't get to see some more fish, but it wasn't the end of the world. They'll get their money, that is if they follow the procedure, and that should be the simple end of the story.

Even the OP didn't seem that upset about the cancellation itself, just the lack of immediate refund.

A couple of posters have made valid points about Carnival assuming some responsibility for the actions of their sub contractors - just because you aren't in agreement with their opinions, you don't have to be quite so cutting and rude.

But that is the exact point to be made...they are NOT sub-contractors. They are classified as INDEPENDENT tour operators.

A sub-contractor, by definition, has responsibilities to the overall contract (your cruise ticket) that an independent operator does not. Carnival has set it all in place very carefully (and quite legally) to minimize exposure on both sides to lawsuits for the actions of the others.

BTW, I didn't post it, but I don't believe it is all cutting and rude to ask someone to actually read the words that are in front of them, and make an attempt to understand them. I suspect that there is less than 1% of all cruisers who actually have read their contract.

This has a so-very simple explanation....your tour was AFTER they had closed out your S&S account. They could not automatically refund your money. At the time they did it, you were no longer officially a passenger, probably.

However Carnival was most likely made aware of the tour cancellation PRIOR to closeout of S&S, so therefore could/should have credited the charges..

I'm sure those contracts cover things like minimum and maximum booked.

I dont understand. Carnival must have known the night before how many were on the tour. The tour operator also. They should have checked with each other, knowing the tour was lightly booked, and made decision by 6pm the night before . Then pax would be able to make alternate reservaions. I think it is Carnival's obligation to "manage" tours better so as to avoid pax inconvienence as much as possible.

And, Carnival would want to be aware of what happened, even if they aen't liable for the refund. They don't want to sub-contract with companies who give bad service. They will look for other's to partner with. Also, they may even step-in to help with this refund.

According to the contract they aren't responsible, but they also don't want bad rumors spread.

Sorry you have to go to such a lot of trouble to get your refund, but, also thankyou for coming here and pointing this out. May save others hassels.

Good luck in getting your return.

I dont understand. Carnival must have known the night before how many were on the tour. The tour operator also. They should have checked with each other, knowing the tour was lightly booked, and made decision by 6pm the night before . Then pax would be able to make alternate reservaions. I think it is Carnival's obligation to "manage" tours better so as to avoid pax inconvienence as much as possible.

Exactly...Carnival had their lawyers draft the independent tour operator liability section of the cruise contract very carefully, so they have absolutely NO responsibility, but to sit back and collect their handsome fees from the operators. Very sweet deal for Carnival.. :cool:

Anyone else get tired of the 'Carnival can do no wrong' on this site? I realize there is some unwarranted complaining that goes on (and the same subject repeated 4 times a day), but it seems to me NO ONE can EVER complain about ANYTHING. It is unreal, and has really turned me off of the board, and (unfairly) carnival

It is ironic, because I am a low maintenance kind of guy who has never sailed anything but carnival, with very few complaints. I find it very funny that people mock the "whine" and "complain", when in reality, as a new-ish forum member, I have been way more turned off by the extreme abrasive, crass, air of superiority nature that a select few here choose to show.

Why is this board much worse than others? I have some flexible time March '09 for a cruise, and will be taking the best last minute deal available, which could include other cruise lines. Thus, I have been perusing other lines boards, and have not found this venom to be universally true.

I have been perusing other lines boards, and have not found this venom to be universally true.

You obviously have not been perusing long enough, as the 'venom' is present on all the line's boards; particularly regarding certain 'hot button' topics..

Archived