Need Gas Price info on I-95, am really concerned.

deenab

We are about 25 miles south of Atlanta. When we went out earlier QT has a sign that said $3.99 but they were out of gas. All the pumps were covered up. Walmart gas was $4.09 and they had people waiting in lines.

We are driving to Tampa 3 weeks from today, so we hope the prices drop back down too.

Here in Roanoke, VA we usually have pretty cheap gas. I know, we're not on I-95 but I-81. Everyone panicked yesterday, lines were backed up into the street, stations have imposed a 10 gallon limit, and prices jumped from about 3.50 to 3.99 in a few hours time.

I think things will calm down after the panic dies down. I kept trying to tell people at work yesterday that the panic only drives up demand thus prices.

Luckily I have a hybrid and currently have a half tank full, so I can go about another 3 weeks before I need a fill-up. :D

Mind if I ask you a question? No? Ok.

Did you save money by buying that more expensive hybrid or are you just saving some gas?

I wouldn't worry too much about rationing, but it may take a while for the prices to go back down.

My best friend lives in Houston and she said that although things are wet and dark, the refinery district did fine and the port is good to go. Her husband is in the business and he will be at work on Monday just like normal.

I'm leaving out of Port Canaveral in December and we are also driving. I budgeted for $6.00 a gallon when I planned so I'm still okay.:)

BTW, Loves on exit 411 on I-40 is at $4.09. Everyone else is $4.99 from Knoxville to 26.

We watched the prices change on Merchant Road yesterday. Started at $3.89 and made it up to $4.99 by the time we left this morning.

Yesterday the gas in Morristown, TN, most started out at 3.69 within two hours it was 3.89, one station went from 4.11 to 4.59 in 15 minutes. Last night going from here to Johnson City it ranged from 3.99 to 4.50 and today going to Knoxville most are 4.99. It is sad how they do the gas prices during a hurricane.

We are leaving next Friday driving to Port Canaveral & we are hoping the prices are back down.

I saw that on the news, that is pretty stupid of them. You know they'll be vandalized because of it and that will cost a lot more.

I paid $3.89/gallon yesterday afternoon. As I was paying for my gas, the station owner announced they were putting a $30 limit on all gas purchases because they were running out of gas. Last night on Fox News they had an article about a station not far from our house that was charging $6.00 a gallon!:eek:

Back on the orginal purpose of this thread - better to have too much money than not enough! I would say that by the time you leave for your cruise, things will have settled back down a bit.

Mind if I ask you a question? No? Ok.

Did you save money by buying that more expensive hybrid or are you just saving some gas?

I feel like I am saving some money plus I am not adding pollution while idling at stoplights (since the engine shuts off) and using battery power only at slow speeds.

My Camry hybrid was not much more expensive than a comparable gas engine Camry was. I will also admit that my employer offers a very nice incentive for employees who buy a hyrbrid which made purchase price actually cheaper for me.

Maintenance costs so far have been the same as any other car - just oil changes which are actually done less frequently in a hybrid since many of your miles are "gas-free" - where the engine is not in use.

I've also gotten much better gas mileage than was advertised. It's really hard to quantify cost vs. gas savings. The batteries are under full warranty for 8 years and I usually replace a car about every 8-10 years so I'm not so concerned about cost there. I also expect to have to pay some maintenance costs on any car that age.

Bottom line is - I'm happy with it and I think we need to get over that hurdle in people's minds about the increased cost of the car and encourage people to try and save the gas anyway - even if it means not saving money since it will benefit us all in the long run. But there are many hybrids out there (some better than others) that really only cost marginally more than their non-hybrid counterparts. And with gas prices continuing their roller coaster ride - you may actually now be coming out ahead with the hybrid.

And I will say that I love only filling up once every 5 or 6 weeks! :D Hope this helps. :)

I live just outside of Fort Lauderdale (pretty close to I-95). I got gas yesterday for $3.97. As far as I could tell there was no rationing at any of the stations I passed. The prices seem to be hovering around $4.00 to $4.10 for this area.

Have a safe drive down. :D

Things are better here in NC now. Friday it went from 3.67 in the morning to 4.19 by the time I got home and I saw up to 4.89 later that night... there was a station charging 5.49... but the governor implemented the gouging law yesterday morning stating that wholesale gas prices had only gone up less than 20 cents in the previous days, and the AG would be investigating and prosecuting gougers. By noon, it was down to 3.99, with a few 4.19's out there... but not sure what it is today. Friday was definitely a really crazy day!!! Most still have a cap on the amount of gas, as of yesterday... hopefully things will get better soon... have a safe trip!

Here in Roanoke, VA we usually have pretty cheap gas. I know, we're not on I-95 but I-81. Everyone panicked yesterday, lines were backed up into the street, stations have imposed a 10 gallon limit, and prices jumped from about 3.50 to 3.99 in a few hours time.

I think things will calm down after the panic dies down. I kept trying to tell people at work yesterday that the panic only drives up demand thus prices.

Luckily I have a hybrid and currently have a half tank full, so I can go about another 3 weeks before I need a fill-up. :D

I with you. I work 1 mile from where I live so now I only have to fill up once every few weeks. If I didn't have my kids to drive around I could go longer. I relly feel like I'm sticken it to the man now LOL every time I drive past a gas station

Kinda off topic but. I checked the price of a new Camry on Edmunds and visited my local Toyota dealer with every intention of paying cash for a 2009 model. they wanted to charge me $6000.00 over MSRP for the car.

I'm still driving my 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis. Will continue to do so until they get real with the pricing on these hybrids.

BTW, Loves on exit 411 on I-40 is at $4.09. Everyone else is $4.99 from Knoxville to 26.

I missed that one as I passed by. It is kind of hard to see from the interstate, especially going east unless you are looking for it. I just couldn't figure out how Pilot at exit 4 was 4.99 and Wilco at the same exit was 4.09. Looks like Pilot would lose all the business.

Things are better here in NC now. Friday it went from 3.67 in the morning to 4.19 by the time I got home and I saw up to 4.89 later that night... there was a station charging 5.49... but the governor implemented the gouging law yesterday morning stating that wholesale gas prices had only gone up less than 20 cents in the previous days, and the AG would be investigating and prosecuting gougers. By noon, it was down to 3.99, with a few 4.19's out there... but not sure what it is today. Friday was definitely a really crazy day!!! Most still have a cap on the amount of gas, as of yesterday... hopefully things will get better soon... have a safe trip!

I hope the governors of Georgia, Tennessee, etc do the same thing. I don't know how these people look at themselves in the mirror.

Kinda off topic but. I checked the price of a new Camry on Edmunds and visited my local Toyota dealer with every intention of paying cash for a 2009 model. they wanted to charge me $6000.00 over MSRP for the car.

I'm still driving my 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis. Will continue to do so until they get real with the pricing on these hybrids.

That's insane. I bought mine a little over a year ago when there was a slight lull in demand and paid just under the MSRP. A friend did tell me there was a 1 year wait right now to get one - so they may be taking advantage of high demand and charging more which sucks. But that's what businesses do - high demand raises prices (just like with gas right now and everyone running to fill up) and if the market will bear it they can get away with it. The prices will come down as the demand eases.

Went out for dinner tonight and I am flabergasted. Over half the stations we passed are out of gas. The prices for the others ranged from a low of 3.99 to a high of 5.34 for regular. Some only had premium left.

I still think the shortages were caused by everyone panicking on Friday and filling up at the same time. I even saw pictures of people filling up 2 liter soda bottles with gas - which is illegal BTW. :rolleyes: If everyone just goes and gets gas when they actually need it things will calm down. But I can definitely see where some are price gouging since the high price stations were all located next to ones that were out of gas.

In Miami, I filled up my tank last night at a local Shell and paid $3.79 a gallon, however some other gas stations in the area have it at over $4.00 a gallon already. (Regular Unleaded). - Plenty of gas so far in South Florida, have not seen any signs in the Miami area where the gas stations are limiting the amount of gallons you can purchase. - So far -

I feel like I am saving some money plus I am not adding pollution while idling at stoplights (since the engine shuts off) and using battery power only at slow speeds.

My Camry hybrid was not much more expensive than a comparable gas engine Camry was. I will also admit that my employer offers a very nice incentive for employees who buy a hyrbrid which made purchase price actually cheaper for me.

Maintenance costs so far have been the same as any other car - just oil changes which are actually done less frequently in a hybrid since many of your miles are "gas-free" - where the engine is not in use.

I've also gotten much better gas mileage than was advertised. It's really hard to quantify cost vs. gas savings. The batteries are under full warranty for 8 years and I usually replace a car about every 8-10 years so I'm not so concerned about cost there. I also expect to have to pay some maintenance costs on any car that age.

Bottom line is - I'm happy with it and I think we need to get over that hurdle in people's minds about the increased cost of the car and encourage people to try and save the gas anyway - even if it means not saving money since it will benefit us all in the long run. But there are many hybrids out there (some better than others) that really only cost marginally more than their non-hybrid counterparts. And with gas prices continuing their roller coaster ride - you may actually now be coming out ahead with the hybrid.

And I will say that I love only filling up once every 5 or 6 weeks! :D Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for your response. You explained your advantages for buying a hybrid very clearly and I appreciate that you didn't jump when I asked my question. You may have even convinced me more to consider a hybrid in the future. I was anyway but maybe a little more now. :)

Archived