Your first cruise ship

March 6,1962 US United States. NY to Bremerhaven.

I was a new bride,sailing to be with my AF husband stationed in Germany.

Hit a storm leaving NYC, my deck was flooded, the Harbor Pilot took the trip with us as he couldn't leave the ship.

I was sick as a dog, the entire trip and we lost a day at sea.

Happy to say that we celebrate our 50th, next Feb & the cruises we've taken since have been less eventful & more fun!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

October 1993: 11-day cruise of the Panama Canal and Southern Caribbean ports on board the Carnival "Fun Ship", Tropicale. The ports we visited were San Juan/Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Virgin Gorda, Tortola, St. Lucia, Aruba, the Panama Canal, Ocho Rios/Jamaica, then back to San Juan. I got so sea sick on the crossing from the Canal over to Ocho Rios that I vowed that I'd never cruise again :p

Edited by Expy00

What was your first cruise ship? What cruise line, the year and the itinerary? (if you remember;) ) Did it get you hooked?

Ours was Royal Caribbean Cruise Line's m/s Viking Serenade, a converted car ferry, back in NOV 1991, a 3-day L.A. - Catalina Island - Esenada, Mexico - L.A. cruise. Never forget our first impressions - we were hooked from that day on!

Ship+Photo+VIKING+SERENADE.jpg

Viking Serenade (still sailing today as Island Escape)

Ship+Photo+ISLAND+ESCAPE.jpg

Lots of posts couldn't read them all but my first was the Carnival Holiday. We sailed in a VS (Veranda Suite) up in the top decks. It was in 2004 towards the end of her life on a Chartered Music Cruise. We had such an awesome time.

I am so glad I had the opportunity to experience that type of ship. We felt special as on the Holiday there were not many balconies and even fewer suites.

Feb 2005 was my 1st cruise. Lived outside of NOLA & went on a cruise w/ my best friend & about 40 of her family members. Wanted to get out of town for Mardi Gras. The ship was Carnvial Sensation. Went to Calica & Cozumel, Mexico. Had a blast except when I had to lug my friend back to the room b/c she was wasted for most of the trip. Despite that I still loved cruising. Went on my 1st solo cruise on Carnival Triumph in October 2010 & went to Nassau, Freeport, & Key West. Had the time of my life. Cruise #3 (solo cruise # 2) will happen in October 2011(Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, & back to Cozumel). I can't wait. :D

Our second cruise was on the Sensation in Feb 7Th out of NOLA. We had a blast, it was a Company Sponsored cruise, we took our staff and about 100 of our customers, along with a few VIP's from our Vendors. What a blast we had.

• 4 weeks later...

My first cruise was just last year--Christmas and New Year's cruise (2010-2011), round trip San Diego to Hawaii on Holland America's Zaandam. My husband had gotten sick and went into the hospital right before Christmas 2009 and passed away on January 2, 2010. Needless to say, I wasn't looking forward to the 2010-2011 holiday season, so decided to book a cruise at the last minute just to get away. I went solo. My family and friends thought I was crazy, but it was the best thing I could have done! Coincidentally, the cruise embarked exactly one year after my husband went into the hospital and disembarked exactly one year after he passed away--it helped that I was "busy" with embarking and disembarking those particular days and not focusing on the fact that is was a "sadiversary" date.

Second cruise was in April 2011 (3 months later) on Sapphire Princess. I have a fourth and fifth cruise booked on Princess, and still have a future cruise deposit down with Holland America (hope to use that one late 2012).

They say you never forget your first ;), and that is certainly true in my case--that cruise marked the turning point in my life from grieving to living again. I still miss my husband after almost two years, but that cruise and subsequent cruises showed me that I can still enjoy life.

Edited by BassettMom

Our first cruise was on royal caribbean's nordic empress in january 2004. The staterooms on that ship were like living in a closet. So cramped and small :( but cruising on that ship got me hooked on cruising.

We have sailed on carnival cruise lines ever since with our next one coming in 10 days on the carnival legend

Our first cruise was the Carnival Inspiration out of Tampa in Sept 2008. I studied and read everything pre cruise until my family was sick of me!!! It was a five day cruise to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. What a trip that was.

We had a blast. We were worried that five days was too much but we found out it was not long enough. We were hooked from the moment we stepped onboard.

I will never forget our trip in the jeep aroun Cozumel the wind was blowing, the surf crashing and it was raining inside the jeep harder than it was outside! But we loved every minute of it!

• 2 weeks later...

My first cruise was on CCL Fascination back in December of 1995. I had a wonderful time.

In fact you could say I was hooked on the concept of cruising ever since.

I have only tried 3 cruise lines and I hope to expand to some others in the future.

My first cruise was with Celebrity Century an I was hooked right away!!!

I booked an inside and got an outside, this was a very nice surprice.

Fort Lauderdale/San Juan, Puerto Rico/CharlotteAmelie,St.Thomas/Philipsburg,St.Maarten/Nassau,Bahama's/Fort Lauderdale.

It was in 2000 and now we are 11 years later, I did many cruises, I love it.

Linda:)

Took a 3-night cruise from LA to Ensenada on the Carla (sister ship to the Italia, owned by Boise Cascade at the time). A highlight was taking a life boat to Guadaloupe Island to see the elephant seals. With an Italian crew, they offered Campari free at the bar. Two years later, we went on the Deuschland (the largest ship to go through the locks) for a 5-day cruise on the Rhine from Boppard to Basil.

My first cruise was a 4 night cruise to Nassau on the S/S Leonardo da Vinci in 1978. This was part of a week-long high school senior trip to Florida from St. Louis, Missouri. The ship in retrospect was a dump, but of course, we all had a wonderful time! I think we only had 4 chaperones for a group of about 30 to 40 kids.:eek: I'm sure the other passengers were not happy.

Edited by Ramblin Wreck Cruiser

My first ship was as an embryo, traveling from Southampton to NYC on the old Queen Mary I (same ship my dad took home at the end of WWII). My second was as an 11 year schoolboy on a school cruise aboard the SS Uganda around the Med. More a floating school than a cruise. My main recollection of that was having a leather camel I bought in Cairo confiscated by Customs, who ripped it open to show me that was stuffed with used hospital bandages! My first real cruise was on the old Statenham in 1981 - 11 days Miami-Miami via Venezuela and back. That one hooked me.