Your first cruise ship

We will soon be sailing off on cruise nunber 27. Our first was in 1999, aboard Carnival's Elation for a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise.

It was marked by an early, unscheduled stop off Cabo San Lucas to allow a tender to remove an ill passenger to the hospital there, since we were still one day away from our first scheduled stop - Puerto Vallarta.

The trip was also marked by rough seas on the two day homeward leg off Baja California.

But we truly enjoyed it and it started a long line of cruises. Never sailed on Carnival again, not because we did not like it, but because we found better itineraries on other lines.

Just found this forum and love it. My 1st cruise was on P & O's Oriana 1978, 3 weeks, Southampton to the Carribean and back. I had a ball, even more so since I was on my own and single. When I got married in 1979 I tried to convince my DH that he would like cruising to but it wasn't until 1989 when he saw it on a travel show that he decided to give it a go and off we went in 1990 on the Sovereign of the Seas. We had a fantastic time, DH hooked and so decided to cruise every other year as we didn't have a great deal of money so we are still trying to work out how come 20 years later we have done 46 cruises. As my DH tells 1st time cruisers your 1st cruise will be your most expensive one , becuase if you love then thats all you will want to do. My only comment is that I do wish we could go back to the smaller ships and the way cruising was when we 1st started but then as they say that is progress, or not as the case may be.

Heres looking forward to Diamond Princess next April.

Ours was on the Carnival Celebration in 1999. It sailed out of NO and did the western itinerary. It was one of our most memorable vacations. I was amazed at the size of the ship. Of course it would be small by todays standards. (47,000 tons) We met a couple from the east coast during embarkation and had a blast with them the whole time. One night during dinner, we told the waiter that it was their anniversery so they surprised them with a cake and sang Happy Anniversery to them. I don't think it was really their anniversery though. Nick kept giving us the "one figure salute" when no one was looking. :D

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Southhampton to NYC on QE2 in December. Scheduled for 5 days but heavy weather added a day. Very heavy seas -- tricky dining for a day or two.

I booked 1st class with a twin porthole view. Watched Ben Vereen, Pia Zadora, and Mike Douglas in rehearsal for and taping of an on-board TV show (never aired, to my knowledge).

We sailed on Carnival Celebration for our 10th anniversary cruise in 01 out of Galveston. I remember thinking this ship was huge, until we docked in Cozumel next to the Celebrity Millenium!! Now that was a huge ship! Not compared to the ships now, but it was in 01. We had a great time and would love to cruise more, but with 3 kids it's tough to find something affordable and be able to work around school, sports etc...

My first cruise was in Hawaii for Christmas/New Years 1989-1990 It was with American Hawaii Cruises on the SS Independence for a one week cruise. The sister ship was the SS Constitution. The same itinerary is now run with NCL I believe. Dont know what ever happened to either ship...they were already very old at the time I sailed then back then. We were celebrating my parents 25th anniversary and I was in college and my brother was a senior in high school

I can't remember the name of the ship or the line. I know they went out of business but it was out of Miami in June "66, Friday to Monday visiting Nassau. Was 14 at the time and fell in love with cruising then.

First time me and my DH went was Dec. 1990 on the old Mardi Gras. He enjoyed it as much as I did. I know what we are doing when we retire.

My first cruise was on Carnival Triumph. I remember not being thrilled about going but my husband wanted to try it so we went. Well, I was so hooked from the moment we embarked on that ship. It was a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise to Cozumel, Mexico, Ocho Rios, Jamaica and Grand Cayman. Im so glad I agreed to go on that first cruise because now I am hooked on cruising. Since that cruise I have turned a few family members in cruisers.:)

Well both of those were sisters so it ain't that easy to recognise and/or them them apart;)

Ship+Photo+ENCHANTED+SEAS.jpg

Enchanted Seas - Commodore Cruise Line

enchanted_isle_1958_4.jpg

Enchanted Isle - Commodore Cruise Line

You can tell them apart by thier masts. When Volendam went to become Liberte they split her mast at the top.

Sea Princess 3/00 (western caribbean), loved it so much I cried when I got off. Seriously toyed with getting a job onboard but someone had to raise the kids :rolleyes: DH went on a short cruise out of San Diego. In 22 days we will take our first cruise together on the Ruby Princess and can't wait. I think it's the only way to travel and will do my best to convince DH that we should cruise once a year until we retire when we should do it more :D

You can tell them apart by thier masts. When Volendam went to become Liberte they split her mast at the top.

Our first in 1996, honeymoon cruise, 7-day, Cozumel; Grand Caymen, Jamaica. DW stay seasick for 5 days. Had terrible seas. But we realized one thing, we really enjoyed this vessel, as much as we could under the circumstances. Eventually sailed her again in 1999, and 2000. Couldn't have been better. As we'd dock in ports next to the larger,more modern, up to date ships, we still felt this vessel was the one for us. With less than 1000 passengers, the crew absolutely spoiled us! Sadly, Commodore filed for bankruptcy in January 2001; and in January of 2004 our cruise addiction carried over to Carnival. :D

Thanks for the picture of her, it stirs some very fond memories!

Edited by ondebyou

Awesome Pic, Veracruz.

I will never forget anything about my first cruise in 1988. It was aboard the brand new biggest ship on the sea: RCCL's Sovereign of the Seas. There was a big clock on the promenade that they said was hand made and VERY expensive. It never worked a day once delivery was made. There was a replica made and placed on the sister ship to Sovereign (Majesty I believe) and it worked fine. I was 17 years old and the cruise was my parent's graduation gift to me. The drinking age (if it was ever enforced) was 18 and I was never asked to provide proof. I met a like-aged friend named Matt and his kid brother. We played basketball together each day and hung out in the ports together. I saw my parent's only at dinner and when I turned in for bed around 3am each day. Now I am 40 years old and will be taking my son on his graduation cruise next year. He has chosen Freedom of the Seas.

Funny I was rifling around my desk and found a 1978 Passenger List from the SS Doric (Home LInes). In there was a list of future cruises for 1979 and prices. I was surprised to see the prices were about the same as they are today for a NYC to Caribe 14 day.

Cruising is som much more affordable today vs other vacations.

I got on this thread to see if there were any Doric pax but alas no one current.

Our first was in 1997 (i think) on the Norway, what a ship!

Had so much class, was like being in the 1930's with it's artwork etc.

Such a sad ending being scrapped over in India.

Been an NCL fan ever since, never had a bad cruise yet (8).

My first cruise was on the Carnival Mardi Gras in the late 70's. I was 16 years old at the time and I think we went to the Caribbean. I was so hooked that I took on a part time job and saved my money for another cruise the next year...Sitmar cruise. In 1981, American Hawaii Cruise...then the Carnival Jubilee. I then left cruising for 24 years :o and cruised to Bermuda on NCL Spirit in 2009. I couldn't believe how much bigger the ships are compared to the 1970's & early 1980's!! We'll be cruising again this August to the Bahamas on the NCL Jewel. Happy cruising everybody...I'm hooked again!!

• 2 weeks later...

My grandparents took me on the S.S. Independence from New York to Bermuda in August, 1965 - I was only 7 at the time. The Independence was then part of the American Export-Isbrandtsen Lines.

My memories of it are a bit hazy and I haven't come across any photos from that cruise, but I remember things like a) just sitting in a lounge chair on a deck (Promenade?) and exclaiming to my grandparents "Ah, this is the life!", b) all dressed-up for a Captain's Ball and doing my best imitation of ballroom dancing with a 6-year-old relative, c) enjoying meals in the main dining room, and d) anchored offshore from Hamilton, Bermuda and taking a tender to go touring.

My next cruise wasn't until 2007 on the Carnival Victory with my wife and a teen-aged son - quite a different shipboard experience from that '60's cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

What an 'experience' !! Chandris Lines' MS PATRIS was briefly put in service from Fremantle to Singapore in a 'Cruise-n-Fly' scheme. I sailed from Fremantle on a decidedly worn out vessel. As a combination Pass/Freight vessel I believe we also had cargo of Steel chains and wire in the cargo holds. Our cabin often had 3 or 4 inches of water on the floor. Bathrooms? Uh...not in the conventional sense anyway. It sailed with a distinct list...I believe to Port.

Now here's the BEST part. The cruise had on board all the contestants from the Miss Australia Contest of that year!! ....All but Miss Australia herself. The gals were accompanied by their chapperone. I was single and 22 at the time...it was quite a trip to say the least.

The biggest past-time seemed to be sitting top-side on the Foredeck cargo hatches and smoke pot!! We passengers ate with the crew; the menu based squarely on rice and onions with curry sauce..followed by more rice and curry.

Passing thru the Sundas Straits and seeing smoking volcanos on shorelines was quite a sight.

Prior to dis-embarking in Singapore all of us Male passengers had to report to the Ship's Officers to have the length of our hair measured!! Too long and Singapore immigration was not going to let us in the country. And sure enough, while clearing customs...they actually measured our hairlength with a ruler. I was hooked. Been cruising ever since. Locomotiveman

I was 9 years old, with my parents, sister, and brother. Sailed from Selkirk on a summer day. I had to bunk with a priest in a cabin with no bath, but it did have a sink fed by gravity from water tanks on the deck above. The ship was built in 1898 and portaged to the lake in pieces. We called at a number of indian reservations and villages on the way to Norway House at the northern end of the lake. I enjoyed the cruise, but not the mosquitoes.