Mariner November 2, 2008 cruise with bikers

vtsmike

Yes you read the title right. If you didn't already know you will be sailing with 1,600 male and female motorcyclist. No bikes just bikers. Their group is called Hogs on the High Seas. (Google the name) They have been having their annual get together for the past 6 years. Many fellow regular cruisers where surprised just how much fun they where having with them. I have been on 4 of their cruises and never seen a problem. Their formal night consist of something leather, vest, chaps, tops etc. Gets a bit funny when everyone is waiting for the dining room to open. You always get this old chap in a tux looking at the biker chick with her tight and revealing leather top and hot pants on. All of a sudden he gets an elbow in the ribs from his wife. LOL Those of you going on this cruise you are gonna have a rememberable time. You might even buy a bike when you get home and become one of them for next year. Enjoy.

I got on the ship just after your group got off last year. Our waitress said that someone in your group ate 27 lobster tails.

I say "Way to get your money's worth" :)

Person didn't really eat 27 lobster tails. The waiters took a bunch of eaten tails and put them on a plate in front of this one guy for a picture to make it look like he ate that many. Always fun things happening with the HOHS crew members.

we were on one of these cruises, it was really cool to see the motorcycles leave the ship when we got into port.

Pach, you are thinking of the other cruise where they let 35 people bring their bikes on the ship so that they can ride on the different islands. I was talking about the Hogs on the High Seas and 1,600 bikers without their bikes.

I hope the bikers have a great time! We were about to book Nov. 2 for our annniversary but I think we'll leave that one to the bikers after our horriblle experience with another big group on Mariner in October of '05. When I called to ask about booking that date, I asked the RCL person if there were any large groups on the ship and she said no. She may not have known. Is there a way to find out if there are big groups sailing? I don't care what they are, it is uncomfortable when they take over certain areas of the ship. Perhaps this is the subject for a new thread. Any advice?

I know a couple going on that trip, they are so excited, and no, they don't bring bikes, other than a few that the vendors bring and I think the one they give away, part of the rules when you sign on. It sounds like they will have a great time, and if you are on this cruise and looking to have some time away from leathers & long ponytails (ha ha), check out their website and you will see they have some specific parties booked so you can make other arrangements:

http://www.hogsonthehighseas.com/wc08_itenerary.html

It does say they have private evening dining so maybe they have their own dining room??

Anyway-

Labadee- T-shirt swap at Dragon's Rock Cafe, Ocho Rios- Party Margaritaville, noon, Cozumel- party at Carlos n' Charlies.

We are not part of the HOHS group, but we were on Voyager for their first annual cruise. I was talking to a couple of the guys while we were waiting to board the ship. They were complaining that their wives had made them go on this !@#! cruise, and they just knew that it was going to be horrible.

I saw the same two guys about three days later, and asked them how was the cruise? They immediately started talking about how it was the best vacation they had ever had, and one of them had already booked three future cruises.

Hypo

I know a couple going on that trip, they are so excited, and no, they don't bring bikes, other than a few that the vendors bring and I think the one they give away, part of the rules when you sign on. It sounds like they will have a great time, and if you are on this cruise and looking to have some time away from leathers & long ponytails (ha ha), check out their website and you will see they have some specific parties booked so you can make other arrangements:

http://www.hogsonthehighseas.com/wc08_itenerary.html

It does say they have private evening dining so maybe they have their own dining room??

Anyway-

Labadee- T-shirt swap at Dragon's Rock Cafe, Ocho Rios- Party Margaritaville, noon, Cozumel- party at Carlos n' Charlies.

On the first HOHS cruise on Voyager, the group all had second seating and everyone else (nearly) had first seating.

My Mom and I will be getting off our cruise the day the biker group gets on.

I don't mind groups until they start "taking over" parts of the ship, as in a certain bar or lounge being reserved "just for them" and the "regular people" can't enjoy that bar or lounge. I've heard of the solarium being "reserved" for part of the day for groups too, and I just don't think that's fair to everyone else who has paid to go on the cruise as well.

Last year was our first year to cruise with the HOHS and we had a great time. We actually have a choice of either early or late seating, but they place us all in one dining room. I did not see at anytime the group taking over one bar over the other, except when we actually had an event being held in that bar. It seemed that everyone including the regular passengers were having a great time. There were a few comments from the other passengers, but I think they were just jealous because we were having a lot more fun. We even had passengers in the Martini bar ask us about the cruise and how could they be part of the group, had to tell them sorry, make reservations for next year and then you will be part of the group. Anyway for those of you that are not part of HOHS we are a well behave bunch, they give us parties on shore than allow us to misbehave if we so desire. We are all there for a purpose, to have fun, and support patients on kidney dialysis so they can have a vacation of a lifetime. I can't tell you how much it means to them to be able to vacation worry free and have their diaylsis available to them on the ship.

So whether you are a HOHS passenger or a regular passenger have fun and remember relax you are on vacation.

Dianne

My husband, two kids, in-laws (!) and I are booked for the 11/2 cruise. I just found out today that it is a HOHS cruise. I was surprised we weren't told when we booked... but no problems here. While we aren't part of the HOHS group I know from my life experience that bikers are some of the most charitable, decent, salt-of-the-earth, fun-loving people there are. I look forward to the experience of this cruise...it will certainly be something for my kids and my in-laws to tell their friends!:D

My husband, two kids, in-laws (!) and I are booked for the 11/2 cruise. I just found out today that it is a HOHS cruise. I was surprised we weren't told when we booked... but no problems here. While we aren't part of the HOHS group I know from my life experience that bikers are some of the most charitable, decent, salt-of-the-earth, fun-loving people there are. I look forward to the experience of this cruise...it will certainly be something for my kids and my in-laws to tell their friends!:D

Very well put and thank you for the kind words.

To learn more about the Dialysis Fund go to

http://www.hohsdialysisfund.org/

and watch the video.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you can check out this thread, and make the OP feel better about being on this cruise, and what a worthwhile cause it is supporting:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=852580

My daughter was on dialysis for 6 months,at the age of 17 , before her transplant in 2001. Her kidneys failed after intense treatment for Neuroblastoma, an aggressive childhood cancer she was diagnosed with at the age of 3.She is 25, and doing great! I have to applaud all of you on this cruise, and thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing this.:) Jax

The cruise lines can't or won't tell you of any groups booked on your cruise. I think if they did, it would do a couple of things. One, it might affect the bottom line for that cruise and two it might become controversial and discriminatory.

I think the only way to know if a group if onboard is to google the cruise and hope for the best. I know there are people who don't like any large group. I guess I could be amongst them in that I feel if I am paying for a cruise, I don't feel the solarium, as an example, should be closed to me because a group is using it. The same goes for a bar etc.

I just want to be sure no one misunderstands me. I am not against the HOGS as I think they do a lot of good. I would feel the same way about any group that took over areas that I wanted to use.

Anyway, I think the HOGS will be a lot of fun and I wish they would be on a cruise that we were going on. I know several people who own bikes, and they are just regular people. One of the bikers we know happens to be our number 3 son, lol. Number 2 son had a bike too.

Enjoy.

Archived